I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Proper Re-Spooling of a Spinng Reel???
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: October 13, 2021 12:26AM

The Alberto, half hitched is also my preferred knot. I worked hard to perfect the FG knot, but had no success. Finally, I tried the FG on 30lb. leader material and it really held. I just don’t think that the braided line coils can dig enough into quality, thin leader material to avoid slipping. The Alberto is nearly as small in diameter as the FG knot without needing to deform the fluorocarbon line that one might use for drop shot fishing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 13, 2021 05:16PM

Just curious Kendall.

Have you tried any experiments with fishing with no leader of any sort.

i.e. just tie your main braided line to the hook or lure or bait that you are using to catch fish? Just wondering if you have positive experience with using a leader makes a big difference in the number of hits and fish landed with the use of a leader of any sort?

And or conducting any experiments using appropriate sized mono tied onto the braided line for fishing; rather than using fluoro line?

The reason that I ask these questions is that I have fished for many many years and almost never use any sort of leader during my fishing and certainly catch all of the fish that I would like to catch - using no leader for fishing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2021 05:19PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 13, 2021 05:39PM

i have to agree with Roger..i have been using 10# braid without leader for many years and can,t see any difference in my catching compared to when i used to use mono..i have a spare spool with 6 braid and only tried it once but it didn,t help..the advantage that braid has is it,s limpness and small diameter interfere less with a lures action than the stiffer and larger mono does..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2021 06:09PM by ben belote.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 13, 2021 06:16PM

I always use a leader with my braided line for the same reasons as Micheal. It helps to preserve the braid so it will last much longer. Also braid is not as abrasion resistant as either mono or fluorocarbon. I never use snaps or swivels, just don’t like them, I much prefer to tie my lures directly to the leader, since the terminal knots tied with leader material are more reliable than knots tied with braid. I have not had problems with leader to line knots, and have found the FG knot to be quite reliable. The use of a leader is a personal choice, and I like them.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 13, 2021 10:02PM

Norman,
Do you use Mono for a leader some of the time, or do you use fluro all the time for a leader.

If you do use fluro for a leader, have you done any side by side comparisons of using mono verses fluoro line for a leader?

After reading a lot of reviews between mono and fluro of the same diameter, about the only thing that I see about fluro that might be a bit better is the appearance of the line in the water.
After a lot of testing by a lot of individuals when comparing mono line of a given diameter and fluro line of the identical diameter it has been determined that fluro line stretches more than mono, that fluro has the same or less abrasion resistance than mono, and that there is a buoyancy difference between mono and fluoro line.

Just wondering.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 13, 2021 11:20PM

I have used both and don’t really see a difference between them. Of course my leaders are at the very most about three to five feet long, so not long enough to notice a difference between them. The stiff mono/fluorocarbon leader has a real advantage when working top water lures and jerk baits. In my opinion, tying these type of lures directly to braid is a no no. The leader will get progressively shorter when I change lures, or to remove chaffed areas and retie. However, the braid doesn’t get progressively shorter until the leader needs to be changed. Braid is expensive, especially Hitena air braid, but mono and fluorocarbon are relatively cheap, Using leaders allow for the braid to have a much longer reel life. I will also flip the braid from end to end on the reel to help to extend longevity. I have had the same braid on a reel for a couple of years, just add a little backing from time to time to keep the spool filled for good casting performance. Thus I don’t change my braided line very often, especially like I use to do when I used mono. Makes braid very cost effective. Different strokes for different folks.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 14, 2021 12:03PM

Roger? I'd be interested in what testing you're referring to when it comes to fluorocarbon versus nylon mono filament lines? Because the testing I have seen, do not show the results you're mentioning. The testing I am referring to, is the testing done by TackleTour.

We are all aware the not all fishing lines are created equal. Some braids are better than others, just as some nylon or co polymer lines are better than others. The same is true about fluorocarbon lines as well. I remember when fluorocarbon lines (for main line use, not leaders) first came out. The two big marketing points were that it was nearly invisible under water, and that it didn't stretch. And because of the lack of stretch, it offered heightened sensitivity over a nylon or co polymer line. The first claim, depending on your definition of "nearly invisible", is true. 100% fluorocarbon line is less visible under water than a nylon or co polymer line. As to the second highly touted claim of fluorocarbon lines not stretching. Testing has shown that claim to be completely false. Of course fluorocarbon lines stretch. For that matter, even braided line stretches. After all, it's braided, its' construction dictates that it has to stretch. At least a little bit.

Anyhow .... it is not true that "when comparing mono line of a given diameter and fluro line of the identical diameter it has been determined that fluro line stretches more than mono," It is also not true that fluro has the same or less abrasion resistance than mono" And are you saying that there isn't a buoyancy difference between nylon mono, and fluorocarbon line?. Maybe after the nylon mono has absorbed water. Otherwise, if it's a 100% fluorocarbon line, it is highly unlikely.

But here's the thing, even if what you are saying is true, and it really depends on which lines you're comparing as to if it is true or not, the big thing is, the testing is done with dry line. I don't know of anyone that goes fishing without getting their line wet. Wet performance is what counts. The quality 100% fluorocarbon lines that don't absorb water, far out perform the nylon and co polymer lines that do absorb water. Bad things happen when a line absorbs water. Stretch increases, abrasion resistance goes down, line strength goes down, knot strength goes down, and line diameter goes up. Oh, and UV rays wreak havoc on nylon and co polymer fishing lines

The same cannot be said about quality 100% fluorocarbon lines that don't absorb water. Wet or dry, their performance stays consistent. Again, it depends on which line we're talking about, but the two major problems with fluorocarbon line are its' manageability, and its' deformity caused by stretch. When you stretch fluorocarbon line, it doesn't bounce back like the nylon and co polymer lines do. One nice thing about some quality 100% fluorocarbon lines though? It takes more pressure to stretch them than it does a nice water logged nylon mono. And UV rays don't have near the affect on 100% fluorocarbon line, that it does on a nylon line.

Do fluorocarbon lines have their drawbacks? They sure do. Even Seaguar Tatsu, which is the line I use, has it's drawbacks, But in most instances, it' 'attributes far outweigh its' drawbacks. At least for everything but when fishing a drop shot. lol

Posted by: Ron Beloff (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 19, 2021 01:34PM

Just make sure to close the bail by hand...

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster