I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trolling rod guides
Posted by: ethan johnson (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: October 10, 2021 01:38PM

Hello all , i was wondering if you could pass on some guidance, im asked to build a short trolling rod and have chosen a united composites CX40XO blank , anybody here have a "recipie" so to speak? Looking for guide and seat suggestions customer wants a roller tip , but are roller guides all the way really the only option ? Any help appreciated TIA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trolling rod guides
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 10, 2021 04:23PM

Have you checked out the rod recipe in the guide spacing section of the Batson site? Check out the STUB80 recipe.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: October 10, 2021 09:15PM

ethan,
I plead ignorance to the “CX40XO” you described. Apparently, it is a very short (4ft), 130lb blank = that is a very serious blank for serious fish and I can only assume you will be employing a “uni-butt” of sorts. A serious rod deserves serious attention from the owner = maintenance. While rollers may not be “required” on such a build, WHY NOT? I would opt for rollers on anything > 80lb, often only 50lb. It only makes common sense other than dealing with those who will not assume the responsibility of proper, albeit minimal, roller maintenance. To meet the demands of such large targeted fish, not only would I use ALL roller guides, but I would spiral-wrap them to eliminate wasted energy attempting to counter SEVERE rod torque so it can be applied directly to fighting the fish. The ONLY rollers guides designed for spiral-wrapping are from All American Roller Guides = great product / great owners / great service. Don’t leave the dock without them!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 14, 2021 03:20PM

I would absolutely use a roller top......I have built similar rods (just a bit longer) with a roller top and a roller stripper and HD boat running guides but with a 4ft blank 60-130 why not all rollers?

Posted by: ethan johnson (---)
Date: October 15, 2021 08:19AM

The idea behind using standard guides as opposed to rollers is purely a budget concern ... but a roller stripper and topwould ceartainly bring the price down a bit more manageable

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 18, 2021 02:10PM

ethan johnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The idea behind using standard guides as opposed
> to rollers is purely a budget concern ... but a
> roller stripper and topwould ceartainly bring the
> price down a bit more manageable

I have built about a dozen that way and they have performed very well. They have been used for stand up tuna and shark and trolling for yellowfin tuna & wahoo.....no problems reported.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: October 18, 2021 10:44PM

Roller tip, only, trolling rods are quite popular from Northern California to Alaska. It’s the tip that takes most of the wear when trolling in rougher waters. The combination of waves and flashers constantly moves a foot or so of line in and out of the tip. A full roller train comes with increased, cost, weight, and maintenance tariffs. It takes really dynamic fish for the benefits of a full roller setup to be realized. Sometimes you see a hybrid with a roller stripper and tip. I have one of these. I like it, but I am not sure the roller stripper helps.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2021 10:52PM by Kendall Cikanek.

Posted by: ethan johnson (---)
Date: October 19, 2021 06:27AM

Thankss guys , any particular reccomendations for the guides? A full set conventional w roller tip, and roller stripper/tip?- thisis a litte outside my area of expertise so to speak so id like to make sure i use the right ones

Posted by: Philip Engle (104.254.92.---)
Date: October 23, 2021 03:31PM

If your application is Cest Coast my recommendations are as follows:

1) It matters not whether a unibutt is involved. A 4' blank properly outfitted is just fine, or a unibutt version which will put the overall rod length at anout 5 1/2 ft, mebbe a smidge more.
2) For trolling ONLY, I would go AT LEAST roller stripper and Roller tip, if not all rollers. The issue is line stress for hours on end, and there is no substitute for rollers on this - even over SIC conventional guides.
3) If bait fishing is a dual-use, I'd go Turbo guides and Roller tips. Starting with a size 25 at stripper.

Good luck!

Whit

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster