I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC MB 661-1 HM Durability
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: October 08, 2021 03:18PM

Has anyone experienced any durability issues with this blank in the HM line? Not counting abuse of course.

I have a friend who fishes here in AL with ultralights exclusively. His favorite setup is a Zebco 33 on a pistol grip. I have reworked a handful of his old rods and they are all IM5 style solid core blanks. Some of his blanks have definitely taken a beating but they were his loaner pond rods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC MB 661-1 HM Durability
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2021 04:48PM

"Some of his blanks have definitely taken a beating"

If you're wondering whether or not to build for him on a high end blank, I think you have answered your own question.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: October 08, 2021 05:37PM

If you want to go with NFC, take a look at the Delta line for your friend. More durability and a lower price point. The MB662 should work. The FW602 would be a nice addition because two rods are better than one.

Add a few for yourself while they are on sale, get better savings, and free shipping. The Xray SJ703, SJ726, IM FW702-2, and the HM P704 are a few of my favorites that should work for your personal needs.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: October 09, 2021 07:17AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Some of his blanks have definitely taken a
> beating"
>
> If you're wondering whether or not to build for
> him on a high end blank, I think you have answered
> your own question.
>
> ..............

This has been the hardest part of building rods for me. I create a connection to the build and it is almost always hard to let them go. I made some rods for the father in law's boat and he treats them like trash. It is offensive and really cuts me deep.

Russell Brunt Wrote:
> If you want to go with NFC, take a look at the
> Delta line for your friend. More durability and a
> lower price point. The MB662 should work. The
> FW602 would be a nice addition because two rods
> are better than one.
>
> Add a few for yourself while they are on sale, get
> better savings, and free shipping. The Xray
> SJ703, SJ726, IM FW702-2, and the HM P704 are a
> few of my favorites that should work for your
> personal needs.

I agree on the SJ703. It has been making an excellent finesse rod for throwing chicken craws and Ned rigs.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 09, 2021 08:27AM

Aaron, you hit the nail on the head..bass fishers are brutal but since converting to glass and making it clear that i only build on glass, no one wants glass..i guess their too difficult to break..lol.

Posted by: Gary Weber (173.241.113.---)
Date: October 09, 2021 09:25AM

Hi,
I built a spincast rod with spiral wrap using a FW 602-1 (Delta LMX). I use it with a zebco omega pro 2 spincast reel. It casts light ( 1/32 and heavier lures) as well as the ultralight spinning setups I have. If you are wondering about the durability of delta blanks, this [www.rodbuilding.org] might interest you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2021 09:29AM by Gary Weber.

Date: October 09, 2021 10:46AM

ben belote Wrote:
> Aaron, you hit the nail on the head..bass fishers
> are brutal but since converting to glass and
> making it clear that i only build on glass, no one
> wants glass..i guess their too difficult to
> break..lol.

I made my father in law a 765 NEO when he specifically requested an X-ray. It is the only one I had faith would survive his hang ups. He would rather high stick an expensive rod than lose a $2.00 lure. I usually build on MHX mag bass for him since he can almost realize the potential in those. He does not tourney fish. He just is older and losing balance so he steps on them on the deck all the time. He leaves them on the deck in the hot and humid Alabama summers and does not store them inside. No rod sleeves or reel covers exist in his arsenal. The tournament guys are very rough. I keep a laminated copy of the article on rod breakage that NFC has on their homepage in my shop. Every time someone requests high end I show them that article.

Gary Weber Wrote:
> Hi,
> I built a spincast rod with spiral wrap using a
> FW 602-1 (Delta LMX). I use it with a zebco omega
> pro 2 spincast reel. It casts light ( 1/32 and
> heavier lures) as well as the ultralight spinning
> setups I have.

This is exactly how he sets up on a normal casting guide train. I have seen him land 10lb stripers after a 20 minute fight on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2021 10:49AM by Aaron Petersen.

Date: October 09, 2021 10:52AM

i just checked the list of specs on delta blanks but didn,t see anything on rod weight.. isn,t this the most important rod spec..

Date: October 09, 2021 10:56AM

ben belote Wrote:
> i just checked the list of specs on delta blanks
> but didn,t see anything on rod weight.. isn,t this
> the most important rod spec..

Depends who you ask and even then what the application is. To me, the weight is not the #1 factor. A quick tip. Download the NFC catalog instead of using the online descriptions. There is a lot more information in the catalog. I believe the catalog is more accurate as well.

Date: October 09, 2021 11:07AM

Thanks Aaron..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 09, 2021 01:33PM

The blanks aren't made from everyone's materials, they are light, the 6 ft. ultralight is under 1 oz.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster