I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hi i am new
Posted by: Brian Rabidou (---.cust.exede.net)
Date: October 07, 2021 06:16PM

Hello all just wanted to say hay. I am a new rod builder and I am currently working on my second rod.
I am also a college student taking a Social Media marketing class and I am required to blog about a passion or hobby so I chose rod building.
if any of you want to take a look here is a link treepounder.wordpress.com/blog/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hi i am new
Posted by: Terry Bain (---.lightspeed.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 07, 2021 07:40PM

Hello Brian. welcome to our forum. You will gain a wealth of knowledge on rod building. Keep on working.

tmbain@sbcglobal.net
Benton, Ar
"NEVER GIVE UP"

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 08, 2021 11:11AM

Hi Terry , Glad to have you on board as a new rod builder , this is the best site to get started on rod building , Just remember there is only one question that is dumb , it is the one you did not ask ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 08, 2021 01:26PM

Welcome, Brian.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 08, 2021 09:13PM

Welcome, the search function is your best friend. Type in a topic, set it for all dates, and push search. You have to play around with it a bit topic wise from time to time, but it works pretty well.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2021 09:47AM

Welcome to the forum, Brian. Absolutely the best site for building rods. The people here are very, very nice and eager to help.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.157.18.98.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 09, 2021 12:41PM

Welcome Brian, You will find no advice shortage here. The caveat is that to every question there will be several different solutions from the various contributors. They all work for them, the trick is finding which one works best for you. Good luck and welcome again.

Posted by: betty birch (---)
Date: October 10, 2021 02:54PM

Welcome , i liked your blog, your pictorial representation and video are good, thumbs up

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 10, 2021 06:13PM

Brian that's awesome and great to have you on board. Welcome to the addiction

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 11, 2021 01:26PM

Brian,

I have been building custom rods for over 53 years. The most valuable tool I had as a beginner was Dale Clemons' book Fiberglass Rod Building. Dale has been gone for many years, and his books can be hard to find, but there is a lot of very valuable information contained therein.

With regard to some specific issues you have experienced as noted in your blog:
- Guide alignment: After getting the placement determined and static tested, tape the guides in place with 1/4" masking tape, or 1/8" for the smaller guides. You can then check the alignment before you wrap the guides. I always put a reel on and double-check the alignment. I sight down the blank on the side of the guides and from the reverse side. You will be amazed how many times a guide seems to be lined up one way but not the other. When both sides seem good, you are good to go.

- Starting a wrap: There are many ways to actually begin a wrap. The way mentioned in the above referenced book is what I use, and have used since I began building rods, and it works for me. One word of caution is the blank surface can affect the process. If the surface is extremely smooth and polished, the thread can slip making it difficult to wrap. In those cases, I make sure the tag end of the thread is secured (usually by hoilding in my right hand) until at least three wraps, then I tighten up the wraps, wrap a couple more times, trim off the tag end, and proceed from there.

Enjoy the journey!

Rich Bowers

Posted by: Brian Rabidou (137.45.239.---)
Date: October 11, 2021 05:37PM

Thank you for the response. I found a copy of the book on amazon it is on the way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster