I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

9' snook rod KR guide train
Posted by: Tyler Reinert (---)
Date: October 04, 2021 05:57PM

My friend and I are building a 8'11 American tackle snook rod got the guides taped on and load tested it casts great (thank you to everyone that steered me toward using the KR concept on a longer rod like this) I was wondering would it add any use/protection to use an underwrap on the guides. I've heard others say no before but it seems like alot of pressure on a relatively small foot directly against the blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9' snook rod KR guide train
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: October 04, 2021 07:28PM

Not if you prep feet properly - no burrs.
Also - fill the tunnels first - drip by drip. Don't let the tunnels get dry - otherwise you will get bubbles under the wrap and stop the wicking. Let the finish wick all the way to the guide foot end. It will also wick under the guide feet - adding cushioning.
Herb
CTS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2021 10:38PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 05, 2021 06:30PM

I wouldn't prep the feet unless you absolutely have to. It compromises the outer finish of the guide.

Date: October 05, 2021 07:49PM

That's what I was told by Jim Ising as well that it will compromise the corrosion resistant properties. The guides are pretty nicely shaped from the factory especially the KTs and KBs. I'll just wrap them without any underwrap or prep. We put a crazy amount of pressure on the snook we target for the first 10-20 seconds of the fight and wasn't sure if the small feet will damage the blank but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Posted by: Ancelmo Fernandez (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: October 06, 2021 09:52AM

Good to hear you are still catching some big snook on some some great gear Tyler!

Date: October 06, 2021 12:40PM

Thank you Fernandez! Got out last night with my good friend and he whooped me. He got 4 slots and I got 1. And then we hit a docklight and got two nice fat trout.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster