I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Columbia River Plunking Blank
Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---)
Date: October 04, 2021 02:51PM

All,
I'm looking to build a Plunking rod for Columbia River Chinook...Fall and Spring. I keep trying to get a hold of Lami, looking at Carolina Castpro and Rodgeeks. What are my other options and are blanks rated to 20 ounces really necessary?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Columbia River Plunking Blank
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 04, 2021 03:07PM

Date: October 04, 2021 03:29PM

I'm looking for blanks. I don't want to fish Uguly Sticks and can build my own rods. Plus I already have hand me downs that can handle Willy plunking and a 1 piece Fenwick for Bonne......but don't want to haul around a 1 piece 13 ft rod.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 04, 2021 03:46PM

The 16 - 20 oz rating are for soaking plugs and bait aren't they? I've never needed to throw that much even for sturgeon that I can remember.

Date: October 04, 2021 04:10PM

Spencer, I doubt they are necessary at all. But it seems plunking blanks are falling out of favor on the West Coast and the East Coasters are into power casting, thus think only broomstick can do the job.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (---)
Date: October 04, 2021 05:14PM

Derick Jahnke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All,
> I'm looking to build a Plunking rod for Columbia
> River Chinook...Fall and Spring. I keep trying to
> get a hold of Lami, looking at Carolina Castpro
> and Rodgeeks. What are my other options and are
> blanks rated to 20 ounces really necessary?

Derick,

This is the blank that you want:

[northforkcomposites.com]

We are based in Woodland, WA - and sell hundreds of these per year for plunking.

Date: October 04, 2021 05:26PM

Will it handle 12 ounces?

Date: October 04, 2021 06:08PM

Depends where you are, doesn't do any good to be throwing past the fish, many times they are in only 12 to 16 ft of water. What are they throwing to, URB's?

Date: October 04, 2021 06:21PM

I would assume that they are URBs....would be targeting fish going over Bonneville. Would hitting Oak Tree, Warren Dale and the likes in the lower Gorge area.

Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: October 04, 2021 11:03PM

Rainshadow BP series....

Date: October 06, 2021 09:25PM

Not sure there is a blank in that line thst will handle the casting weight. Anyone have info on Talon? Looks like a few of their blanks can handle it or are at least rated for it.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 16, 2021 10:20AM

I am familiar with Talon, they are also in Woodland Washington. A great blank maker that supplies many of the higher-end private label blanks, like many of the Anglers Workshop blanks. It started out as Loomis Composites, Inc., established by Gary Loomis and one of his cousins. Gary went on to start G Loomis (and subsequently Edge Rods and NFC) and his cousin took LCI on through several changes to the Talon of today.

For such a small town, Woodland Washington is a hotbed of blank manufacturers, including G. Loomis, North Fork Composites, Talon, and Lamiglas. Washington State is also home to Batson Enterprises (Sequim), Pacific Bay (Sequim), Sage (Bainbridge Island) and Berkheimer (Camas) There may be others, but those are the ones I know about.

Date: October 16, 2021 11:26AM

Thrasher also, another Loomis.

Date: October 16, 2021 08:04PM

I've tried to contact Talon....directed to Anglers West. It was good to handle the built rods, but I wish I could get an answer from Talon directly. Thrasher doesn't have a blank that fits the bill (at least off their specs). I received the Rod Geeks blank. It is heavy duty, would like something lighter powered, but can make this one work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster