I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Which North Forks X-Ray blank for drop shot build???
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 05, 2021 04:08PM

I fished the 5C and 3C versions of the MHXF St. Croix, makes an excellent Senko rod. Once you exceeded 3/4 oz. the tip disappears, I can see the rod being used for plastics, and small swimbaits. Not a bottom contact rod like football jigs, or worms in my boat, I'd like a bit firmer tip for that. Like my 5S76MLXF it's tip was just a bit softer than I expected. My GUSA DHX 70MHXF rod has the stiffer tip, so I guess all those years have colored my opinion a bit maybe. Never considered it for dropshotting let alone using that much weight to dropshot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 05, 2021 08:23PM

I don't want to steer the thread in a different direction, but I do have a question for Jay concerning the recommendation of the IMMS610MXF blank. Jay? Have you happened to do CCS testing on one of those blanks before trimming it? If so, I'd be really interested in what you came up with for an IP number on that blank?

The reason I ask is, I bought the same blank in the now defunct Eternity 2 series from Rainshadow. I was expecting a lot more power from the blank than it has. I did CCS testing on the rod I built and I came up with an IP of 346 grams. I'm just wondering if the Immortal blank is a lot more powerful. I'm looking for a higher powered drop shot rod for fishing on Lake Erie. I'm not really interested in doing any trimming from the tip. Just wondering how it is in stock form.

I appreciate any info you can provide.

Thanks !!!

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 06, 2021 05:16AM

No Dave, I'm sorry but I'm sure someone here on the forum should have done CCS testing on one by now. If I were in your location, I would just run to Jann's and get your hands on a few. Looks like their all in stock.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 06, 2021 04:44PM

Jay, I had actually thought about doing that. It would give me a chance to get a hands on with a couple of Point Blank blanks, just to see if one of those would fit the bill. It would a nice way to spend half a day. Thanks for the idea.

Addition: Shoot !! Just popped on Jann's web site. They don't list offering the IMMS60MXF blank. They do offer the 6' 10" medium though. So if anyone has CCS numbers for the IMMS610MXF blank. I would greatly appreciate seeing them.

Thanks !!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2021 04:47PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 06, 2021 05:00PM

Don’t have the CCS numbers for the IMMS610MXF, but do the numbers for the PB691MLXF (IP = 512 gm, AA = 77), and PB691MXF (IP = 603 gm, AA = 76). Should be able to wiggle these and get a feel for what the IMMS610MXF might be, if Jann’s has all three.
Norm

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster