I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Which North Forks X-Ray blank for drop shot build???
Posted by: Chris Henry (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 04, 2021 10:02AM

I’m interested in getting a couple X-Ray blanks for my drop shot preferences. I drop shot for smallmouth bass on the St. Lawrence River in semi deep water with heavy current. I mainly use 5/8oz drop shot weights but will throw 1/2oz if the conditions allow. What would you guys recommend for my application? Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which North Forks X-Ray blank for drop shot build???
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 04, 2021 11:15AM

Medium Heavy Power, X-fast action, length of your choice. I prefer 7 feet in length. I use Medium Power, but not in deep heavy current and with weights lighter than you are considering. I think you want the overall power of the MH, but the softer tip of an XFast.

Date: October 04, 2021 11:19AM

Yes but which X-Ray blank? The SJ-703-1?

Date: October 04, 2021 12:30PM

I wouldn't build on an X-Ray. Their ratings are all over the place with no consistency.
You're going to have to wait for more knowledgeable people on X-Ray products. Sorting through their blank descriptions is a great argument for buying only blanks that give you the CCS numbers, like Point Blank and Rainshadow RX10. Or from companies like St Croix/Rod Geeks that have consistent, well understood ratings. Of course, this is only my opinion.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (---)
Date: October 04, 2021 12:57PM

Chris - the DS 6100 or the SJ 703 would work just fine.

Date: October 04, 2021 01:00PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wouldn't build on an X-Ray. Their ratings are
> all over the place with no consistency.
> You're going to have to wait for more
> knowledgeable people on X-Ray products. Sorting
> through their blank descriptions is a great
> argument for buying only blanks that give you the
> CCS numbers, like Point Blank and Rainshadow RX10.
> Or from companies like St Croix/Rod Geeks that
> have consistent, well understood ratings. Of
> course, this is only my opinion.

Michael,

Thanks for your opinion. We have a deflection picture posted for all of our blanks, with ounces. It is pretty easy to convert ounces to CCS.

Here is a link to the picture, available for every model.

[northforkcomposites.com]

Regards,
Alex

Date: October 04, 2021 01:09PM

Which one would handle 5/8oz drop shot weights better?

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 04, 2021 01:11PM

I've been looking at the X-Ray line-up for walleye casting 1/4 jigs and 3" twisters as well as Rapala's HJ12 @ 7/16 and have yet to find one with their crazy listings. Like Michael stated their all over the place and no consistency. Even on the {walleye central forums} I could not even get a suggestion.

Posted by: Keith George (50.228.17.---)
Date: October 04, 2021 01:53PM

Chris - Given the 5/8oz weight I would go with the sj736. I base the recommendation on my experience with the two rods (736 mb or sj) and the weight you listed not necessarily from a technique point of view. I have no experience with drop shotting with those weights but do fish the sj736 to 1/2oz and know it can handle alittle more.

Jay - you want the mb733 for the grub or the 724 for the Rapala. I think the 724 built as a spinning rod would be fine for both.

Date: October 04, 2021 02:17PM

Do you have any experience with the SJ-703-1? I prefer an X-Fast tip for drop shotting but I don’t even know if it has a true XF tip.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: October 04, 2021 03:17PM

Chris (and Jay) I haven't responded yet because I know anything about drop shot and walleye. I was hoping others with experience in those areas would chime in. What I can say is I have bought at least a dozen different models of the NFC blanks so I'll share my thoughts.

I would say the ratings are reversed for the SJ703 and SJ732. The 732 is a little more powerful and a little slower in action. The SJ703 is a very nice crisp rod in a traditional spin/jig action, much like a St. Croix. I would call it a light power, 6-10#, 1/8-3/8, fast action blank. I think it would be a great small mouth rod for 1/4 ounce jigs fished in deep water bouncing off rock bottom. I don't think it is enough rod for 5# fish around tree stumps and heavy weeds though. I really like the blank a lot and I understand it is one of their top sellers. It sounds perfect for Jay. I think Chris would love it if he could get by with no more than a 3/8 jig. The SJ732 is just a tiny bit more powerful and a little slower in action. The SJ732 might be the better choice for something with treble hooks and/or live bait.

The next step up in power that I have (in the Xray line) is the SJ736. I would call it a M/MH power, 10-17#, 1/4-3/4 oz, fast action spin/jig blank. Again very much like a ST. Croix and a really nice blank. The MB736 is supposed to be very close with just a little less power. The SJ736 is a lot more powerful. It is where I would want to be for 5/8 ounce, especially in current. The MB736 might be just right.

At these sale prices the NFC blanks are a very good value. The SJ703 and SJ736 are great blanks worth having in one's arsenal (even if they aren't right for your immediate needs). And as long as you guys are considering placing an order, don't overlook the FW, HM, and even IM series. I really like the FW702 and the P704 FWIW. Expect delivery in around 3-4 weeks. You will get a tracking number and they will be well packed. Don't expect any answers to email/phone calls.

P.S. The rodhouse france link on the left hand side has a handy app to compare different blanks. Well worth the visit.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 04, 2021 03:42PM

Chris, looking at the pictures on the graph, 3 of them with different weights, it looks pretty x fast to me. What do you think? 5, 8 and 20 oz. You should be able to jiggle a 5/8 oz dropshot rig on the SJ703. The SJ 804 is built into a salmon rod in their Edge Rod line.

Date: October 04, 2021 04:24PM

Aleks, thank you. Please advise on how I get CCS from the info on the deflection pictures, power and AA. I see on the picture you linked, 807@12oz, but I don't know what to do with that info.

Date: October 04, 2021 05:17PM

Chris Henry Wrote:
> Which one would handle 5/8oz drop shot weights
> better?

Chis,

The drop shot 6100.

Best,
Alex

Date: October 04, 2021 06:43PM

How would the DS-6100 compare to the SJ-732? I have been reading a lot of comments regarding the SJ-732 and it sounds like it might be the best choice??? That DS-6100 is only rated up to 1/2oz. How’s that any good for dragging 5/8oz ds weights?

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 04, 2021 10:39PM

Chris, I boat fish big fast deep river walleye in the Detroit river, Jigs 3/4 oz are a must even though the average fish now is 3-5 lbs with the occasional 6-8 lbs thrown in the mix. Like you, The heavy wt# is required to keep in contact with the bottom, Most of the guys out their are fishing pool cue rods, {{Not my idea of fun.}} And No one make a Med X-Fast 3/4 oz rod for this fishery, It a situation that's is unique in the local fishery. So what several of us have done is in our case is use a Rainshadow IMMS610MXF-TC You could also use an X-Ray list above I may even be better as it has a bigger Butt section for the back-Bone. It's all trail and error, Wrap the guides on. {{No finish epoxy}} And use a {{single footed guide size 5 as your {temporary Tip Top}, And then move it Back, Say 1/2" from the rod tip wrap it on. {But Don't cut the blank yet}}} I would bet you will find your 5/8-oz sweet spot!!!! On that 1/2-oz rod. If it still feels to soft move it a Back a bit more, Maybe another 1/8" inch until your satisfied on the feel. After all your testing. Then Cut It with a Dremel tool cut off wheel. Measure the blanks tip dia and order a tip to fit. Many Many Rods are built this way. kistler custom rods does this as well. Just don't go wacking 1 inch at a time off. Go slow I use 1/8" increment's at a time. This is why they call it custom rod building, Your building to your own specifications. Cheers and good luck. Jay

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: October 05, 2021 12:54AM

Hello Chris,

I usually don’t try to sway someone away from a brand they have asked specifically about. Also, I am aware that the XRay blanks are currently on sale. Still, if they don’t have one that readily meets your needs, I’d recommend looking elsewhere at a blank that does. Point Blank has the 73MXF that seems ideal. It is an extra fast rod rated for up to 3/4 of an ounce. This would make 5/8ths likely it’s most ideal weight. Cutting three inches from the butt, if you even need to, is really low risk and very conventional. The $85 dollar XRay sale is $130 after excise tax and fairly high shipping is mandatorily added. That is only about an Andy Jackson less than the Point Blank. This is a minor sum in comparison to the total build cost.

I fish the Snake River for smallies and understand your 5/8 ounce drop shot rod enigma. I think every rod builder wants NFC to put their quality issues way back in the rear view mirror. I’m happy for other customers to keep them afloat until that happens. Having them as a reliable source would be huge. That said, buying a rod from them to tip cut and hope for success seems like a lot more of a risk than going to Point Blank. If you choose to do that, take heed in doing it 1/8 inch at a time. That is really important and accurate advice. I repaired a rod for a friend who lost 3/8 off the tip. He hated the action change and so did I.

Posted by: Joel Babin (98.39.46.---)
Date: October 05, 2021 11:38AM

I'll throw another blank into the mix you might seriously consider. The RodGeeks C473MHXS... This blank is very unusual... very soft tip like traditional drop shot rods, but gobs of power... in my mind perfect for deep water heavier weight drop shot applications. The top fourth of the rod behaves like a M XF, then the rest of the blank is all MH.

Date: October 05, 2021 01:25PM

I was just on Rod Geeks looking at the St Croix SCV610MXF. Now I’m intrigued at the Carbon 4 blank you just mentioned.

Posted by: Joel Babin (98.39.46.---)
Date: October 05, 2021 03:36PM

Chris Henry Wrote:
> I was just on Rod Geeks looking at the St Croix
> SCV610MXF. Now I’m intrigued at the Carbon 4
> blank you just mentioned.

If you want I can email a few pics of the blank with 6 oz and 12 oz on the tip for a reference. Really wish RodGeeks would put some deflection charts up... they don't have that many blanks. Would be easy to do.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster