I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spinning reel seat for conventional
Posted by: edward zinda (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: October 03, 2021 08:49PM

Hi all.. I been using fuji dpsm-22 standard graphite seats on rainshadow RCLB 70M 20-50 blanks with great results.. light weight and have held up fine for school sized tuna.. always use a rod clamp (insurance). a friend sent me a ALPS FRS-22cd to look at and I must say it seems beefier and well made.. also same MFG as my blank.. my ? is about the Alps designation of "Spinning seat" the Fuji description says either spin or cast.. Would love to try the Alps but a bit concerned about the spin designation. thanks in advance for any insight. Ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2021 08:56PM by edward zinda.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spinning reel seat for conventional
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 03, 2021 10:03PM

No reason it wouldn’t work.
Norm

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: October 03, 2021 10:03PM

Edward,

I'm not sure that it really matters. I've used ALPS Centra Lock seats frequently and they're well made products. Aluminum reel seats like ALPS with their quality of finish and workmanship are getting harder to find. If you want an opinion from the source, give Batson a call. They are always quick to help and answer questions. But to give FUJI their due, I've used their DPSH graphite reel seats with size 50 reels and no problems.

Dave Sytsma

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 03, 2021 10:55PM

Edward,
I suspect there is no structural difference between a “spin” and “cast” reel seat, only the additional trigger on the cast seat. A (triggerless) spin seat can certainly be used for casting but a “triggered” cast seat would be very uncomfortable for spin. Your 50lb build is kind-of on the fence / border when it comes to seat choice. While the composite Fuji DPS would certainly get the job done, peace-of-mind may suggest the machined aluminum Alps KLN Centra-Loc a better choice, albeit at a steeper price.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: October 04, 2021 12:22AM

well I feel a bit foolish as it is just a reel seat.. makes sense that it would not matter weather it was up or down..over here in the west they attach their 25-40 size reels to cork taped rods with a clamp.. any reel seat and a clamp should be just as strong. Ed

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 04, 2021 08:47AM

The only question I would have is whether the seats you are considering are compatible wtih the reel feet you plan to use. I don't know if this could be an issue or not. But the Alps aluminum reel seats are beautiful and bullet-proof.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 04, 2021 09:17AM

It looks like the 1k graphite on the FRS seat isn't any heavier built than their other nylon versions, it may be why they listed it as a spinning seat, it may not take the abuse a heavy duty clamp and high clamp pressures can exhibit, a saltwater blank alone would have heavier wall thicknesses and dense construction. My rod rated your power also has a Fuji DPS seat on it, it's only 35 years old and caught fish near 10 ft long from time to time, it may fail yet, it has a full length arbor under it, and I rarely use the clamp.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: October 04, 2021 10:16AM

The only thing bad I could say about the Fuji DPS(M/H) line of reel seats is they aren't high in bling factor. They have never let me down. Like Spencer, I have some that are quite old.

I have them on my RCLB's rods and I think they are a good match. The blanks and the seats fall into what I'd call solid value choices. I feel the same way about Alconite guides.

That being said Alps is a solid choice. In particular I find the Batson family to be open, honest, and transparent. If contacted I'm sure they would give you good advice as to the best reel seat from their line for your needs.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: October 05, 2021 10:45PM

Have used the FRS several times - admittedly as a spinning seat but no reason I see you could not use it for a casting seat. Solid quality product

Posted by: Jacob Buchanan (---)
Date: October 09, 2021 07:21PM

Hi Edward,
Have you had a look at American tackle company website Catalogue. They have an Awesome range of reel seats. Check out the CRSD think they are.
Cheers
Bucky

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2021 07:31PM by Jacob Buchanan.

Date: January 08, 2022 12:00PM

edward zinda Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi all.. I been using fuji dpsm-22 standard
> graphite seats on rainshadow RCLB 70M 20-50 blanks
> with great results.. light weight and have held up
> fine for school sized tuna.. always use a rod
> clamp (insurance). a friend sent me a ALPS
> FRS-22cd to look at and I must say it seems
> beefier and well made.. also same MFG as my
> blank.. my ? is about the Alps designation of
> "Spinning seat" the Fuji description says either
> spin or cast.. Would love to try the Alps but a
> bit concerned about the spin designation. thanks
> in advance for any insight. Ed

I know this is an old post but finally got off my butt and got the answer from Batson.. Bill answered my email right away.. that FRS seat is fine for conventional reel applications and in fact he is going to change the designation in his next catalogue run.. He also said he is going to use it on a offshore casting "Jig Stick" he is building. I got 2 of them now so the next rain shadow live bait 20-50 lb sticks I build will have those on them.. Ed

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster