I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Similar to 705cb
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 03, 2021 09:29AM

Hey guys was throwing a buddy of mines Dobyns 705CB for 1/4 to 1/2 ounce squarebills like a Bandit 100 and 200 series on the river yesterday and was really impressed with the power and action. Label lists as a MH Moderate Fast blank but honestly the tip was soft and power didnt feel quite like a MH. Has anyone found a blank similar to 705CB? Would be interested in building something very similar in action and power. Mainly for squares around rocks with 1/4 - 1/2 ounce options.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Similar to 705cb
Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 03, 2021 09:53AM

i use FIS781ML from Mudhole for that kind of fishing..

Date: October 03, 2021 09:58AM

Thanks for the info, not sure that's exactly what I am looking for though.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 03, 2021 10:09AM

your welcome..it works quite well with 10# braid to up the sensetivity and the the thinner line diameter to get the lure down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2021 10:16AM by ben belote.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 03, 2021 10:54AM

I use a Seeker S-glass BS706 for that application, unless you are throwing really big deep divers, it will get the job done. It handles everything from the Bandit 100's up to Rapala DT14's just fine. I would need a couple graphite blanks to handle that range. Any bigger, and you need to look elsewhere. A Lamiglas MB 841 F glass blank is similar, but has a wee bit more power from tip to butt. I like these blanks because they have a soft tip, slower recovery, and more power in the butt when compared to many graphite options. The trade off is the additional weight of the rod.

That said, given the specs, I suspect that the Dobyns CB 705 is likely modeled after the old Loomis CB 845 models. The initial release of MHX blanks was modeled after the Loomis designs to help fill the void (years ago they had a conversion sheet posted), so something like the MHX CB845 would likely be a good fit for the job. Other options that are worth consideration are 4 and 5 power popping blanks, lure ratings of 1/4-3/4 or (1/4)3/8 - 1oz.

Posted by: Joel Babin (98.39.46.---)
Date: October 03, 2021 11:43AM

Are you referring to the 705CB graphite or composite rod?

Rod Geeks has really good composite cranking blanks in either M or MH. I would definitely look at them. They have graphite variations as well.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 03, 2021 11:57AM

I built my squarebill rod on a Rainshadow RX7 CB66MH. It's the Revelation series now. I cut it down to 6' because I pretty much just make shorter casts with squarebills in and around cover, so I wanted a shorter rod for more accuracy. I really like it a lot. It's great for 1.0 or 1.5 sized squarebills. It's also great for ultra shallow and wake baits as well.

They make it in a 7' version. 3/8 - 1 oz baits. Mod Fast action. Might be something to take a look at as well.

Date: October 03, 2021 01:27PM

Actually was thinking about the Revelation CB70M OR MH. Actually may even wait till they release that carbon matrix wrapped version, not usually one for the aesthetics but seems pretty interesting to me. May even do a M and a MH version. Open up the bait options

Any feedback on the Batson Square Bill specific blanks? Seen them listed but rarely hear any recommendations or feedback.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2021 01:34PM by Jay Burns.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (---)
Date: October 04, 2021 05:25PM

Jay Burns Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey guys was throwing a buddy of mines Dobyns
> 705CB for 1/4 to 1/2 ounce squarebills like a
> Bandit 100 and 200 series on the river yesterday
> and was really impressed with the power and
> action. Label lists as a MH Moderate Fast blank
> but honestly the tip was soft and power didnt feel
> quite like a MH. Has anyone found a blank similar
> to 705CB? Would be interested in building
> something very similar in action and power. Mainly
> for squares around rocks with 1/4 - 1/2 ounce
> options.

Jay,

The Hybrid 705.

[northforkcomposites.com]

It is designed specifically for cranks/squarebills and the zentron tip will not interfere with the movement of the bait...about mid-way through the blank it is carbon, so it remains lightweight and sensitive.

Alex

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: October 05, 2021 09:49PM

I have a rod I built on a St. Croix SCV72MM blank that I really like with that weight range of square bills. That said, I recently got schooled by a fishing buddy during a square bill day.

Date: October 09, 2021 11:37AM

I have the 705 Hybrid and honestly I am not a big fan of the blank itself for this size. The butt end is massive and the blank was not straight at all. Actually gave the rod away to a friend. I found it to be better with larger cranks and lipless baits. Felt a little too much rod for smaller squarebills.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2021 12:42PM by Jay Burns.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster