I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Tape
Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.179.---)
Date: October 02, 2021 10:36AM

I have been reading the archives for info on using cork tape on rod handles. I see two types of tape available, 1/16" thick and 1/8" thick. Other than the difference in weight and the added diameter between the two thicknesses, are there any other things to consider in deciding which thickness to use?

Also, some prior threads have discussed using rubbing alcohol as a lubricant on the blank to allow you to slide the applied tape to eliminate seam gaps, etc. Is this the recommended way to apply cork tape?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Tape
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2021 12:05PM

If you'll do a test fit over the first couple inches to sort of dial in the right angle for laying the tape, you shouldn't have to shift it around on the blank. Once started, you just use a little hand pressure to keep the seams nice and close/snug. It's really not at all hard to do.

We did an article in the magazine in the past year or two about how to get it started at the right angle. But it's not hard. Do it with the backing still in place and scribe or draw a long at the correct angle against the tape. Then start the actual wrapping/adhering process.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 02, 2021 12:13PM

They both work, it’s just a matter of how much you want to increase the diameter of the handle. I normally use the 1/16” tape. Never heard of using rubbing alcohol for applying cork tape. I really don’t think it is necessary, since wrapping cork tape onto the blank is quite simple and straight forward. Some people will use contact cement on both the blank and tape before winding the tape onto the blank. This just makes the wrap more permanent and harder to remove, and in my opinion also not necessary. I use a small piece of shrink tubing at both ends to keep the wrap from unwinding. You can also do the same thing using a thread wrap.
Norm

Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---)
Date: October 02, 2021 02:36PM

Norman Miller where do you live? I want to come and do an internship with you!!!!!

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: October 02, 2021 03:11PM

Bob,
I use cork tape covered with X-shrink tubing for almost all my salt builds = very durable in-and-out of rod holders, grippy surface when wet, easy to clean and, although I haven’t had to, easy to replace if ever needed. I have used both the .062in and .125in thick versions but do not like the .125in because it starts to get surface cracks in it when bending around a blank; the smaller the blank the worse the issue. If a larger diameter is preferred, simply apply another layer of tape but it is a very good idea to wrap it in the opposite direction as the previous layer. No need for alcohol; carefully pushing the edge of the new course of tape into the preceding edge will produce a virtually seamless grip.
Cutting the initial, starting angle is easy. With the backing side to the blank, tightly “spiral”wrap the tape around the blank slightly more than one rotation with the two edges butting against each other (side-by-side). Place a mark across the seam onto both pieces. Remove the tape from the blank and lay it out flat and use a straightedge between the two marks to cut the angle with a razor blade.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 02, 2021 03:28PM

Hello All.

Here is where to find the article Tom spoke of:

Vol/Issue Title Author page
23/5 Cork Tape Techniques By Capt Mike Ballard. 16

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster