I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Salmon/Steelhead Glass Blank?
Posted by: Guy Taylor (38.128.89.---)
Date: October 01, 2021 08:54PM

Does anyone know of a fiberglass rod blank for salmon/steelhead use? Ideal would be a 2 piece, 9-10 ft, 8-10 lb line.
I’ve got an idea for a light Southern California surf rod, spiral wrapped, wearing an old school Penn. Jr. Squidder #146.
All I can find is graphite blanks. Nothing against graphite, I just think this would be fun to make in ‘glass.

Thanks!
Guy Taylor

Guy Taylor
Lucerne Valley, CA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Salmon/Steelhead Glass Blank?
Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 01, 2021 10:34PM

Maybe a fly blank? Otherwise all I can think of are boat blanks...maybe the lightest power XCC Lamiglas blank...but those are fairly powerful.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 01, 2021 10:41PM

Guy,
Consult Rick (CEO) of Seeker Rods, 949-887-6853. They have a multitude of blanks, FG, CF or combination of both in numerous actions, powers and sections to suit your needs. Seeker is a very up-front, knowledgeable and easy-to-talk-to American blank manufacturer ready, willing and able to satisfy their customer’s needs and requirements.Tell him Mark, the rod builder, referred you and said hello.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 01, 2021 11:31PM

The Seeker blanks are E glass, I built the 8 ft. 9 in. version using old school metal reel seat, components, and thread wraps including finish. He put an old Pfleuger Rocket bait caster on it. I don't remember any rods that light in line weight that length though. Rods of that line weight back in the glass days were in the the high 7 ft. Low 8 ft range, an example would be the Berkeley Parametrics and Fenwick FS rods. That said Lamiglas made a 10 1/2 4 power glass blank that was soft enough to protect 10 lb line, rated 1/4 - 3/4 oz. lures. BSH 126 4F was the blank number.

Posted by: Guy Taylor (38.128.89.---)
Date: October 01, 2021 11:57PM

Thank you, gentlemen for your responses.

Derick, I thought of that but I want a faster action than any fly rod that I am familiar with.

Mark, I’ll drop him an email. I am currently confined to bed recovering from cancer treatment. Among other drawbacks the treatment has affected my voice. I doubt Rick would appreciate a mumbled, impossible to understand phone call. But I can type, so long as the backspace key works.

Guy

Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---)
Date: October 02, 2021 11:55AM

There is one blank know of. But thr members of this board would have to dig deep to find a record of it. The manufacturer was Clearwater Products, located somewhere in thr Pacific Northwest (Maybe southern BC). He made some pretty amazing blanks. One of them was a composite drift rod. Either 10'6" or 11'6" real soft tip to detect bites, but backbone that would allow you to horse BIG Chinook in heavy water. It was said that the blank was designed for Canadian Fisheries Biologists to do some sort of sample gathering of Chinook. Would allow them to land the fish as quickly as possible with minimal harm. The top section is plenty forgiving for 10 lb line and would make a great light surf rod. As far as I could tell though, he was out of the game before the internet as he has no presence under that label....I have a production Steelhead rod by his company...I'll try to post the Label.

Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---)
Date: October 02, 2021 12:06PM

Ok. I have the pictures as well as their old address and phone numbers. Don't know how to post it though.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: October 02, 2021 01:12PM

RodGeeks offers S-Glass rod blanks that might be what you're looking for. I have built on their fly rod, and carbon blanks, and found them to be of high quality, especially for the price point. They have limited length options though, a little over 7 foot for the spinning, and 9 foot for the trolling blanks. I see also that Mudhole offers MHX brand FG blanks, but I know very little about them.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 02, 2021 05:21PM

Guy,
I am certainly sorry to learn you have been going through cancer treatment. I am confident in speaking for all of us on rb.org and wishing you a speedy and complete recovery!!!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 02, 2021 06:21PM

I think I may have one of those Lamiglas blanks I mentioned. You mentioned also a faster action, I don't think I have ever seen a fast action blank in glass, that length, in your line class.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (---)
Date: October 04, 2021 05:31PM

Guy Taylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know of a fiberglass rod blank for
> salmon/steelhead use? Ideal would be a 2 piece,
> 9-10 ft, 8-10 lb line.
> I’ve got an idea for a light Southern California
> surf rod, spiral wrapped, wearing an old school
> Penn. Jr. Squidder #146.
> All I can find is graphite blanks. Nothing against
> graphite, I just think this would be fun to make
> in ‘glass.
>
> Thanks!
> Guy Taylor

Gus -

If a 4 piece would work, the IG 8'6 10 Wt makes a perfect steelhead rod.

[northforkcomposites.com]

There is a deflection of that chart online.

Best,
Alex

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster