I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lowe's Super Touch Graphite Rods
Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: October 01, 2021 08:01AM

I recently purchased an old "made in USA" rod at a local garage sale. It is one I had never heard of before and I thought I would run it past you guys to see if any of you have any information about this rod company.

It is called "Lowe's Super Touch Graphite"

This rod is a mint condition TC7HSC 7' Heavy Action. It is built well with Fuji guides and Fuji reel seat and good quality cork.

I tried searching online for information about this brand and come up with nothing other than a hat, and a couple of patches for sale on @#$%&, and an old man's obituary;

[www.rollerfuneralhomes.com]

"In October of 1970, he moved to Alpena, Arkansas and purchased Bailey Monuments. Later he purchased The Harrison and Mountain Home Monument Companies. During his life he owned a clothing store, worked with Judy’s Insulation, and sold his prized possessions - Lowe’s Super Touch Graphite Rods. He retired from North Arkansas Transportation Services in 2009."

Other than this, I cannot find any more information on the rod blanks, construction, materials, etc. I was also curious what time frame were these rods in production? And from where? Though I suspect Arkansas if made by the old man above, but what if his blanks were outsourced like say from Kistler or other?

Usually information about a rod blank can be found. Not this time...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lowe's Super Touch Graphite Rods
Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 01, 2021 10:43PM

I found what may be a connection?? I hit a bass forum and a very old 2006 discussion about spiral wraps. I'll past it. Schneiders rod shop in Arkansas is Mentioned Below. So I would call Ron, I think he will be able to help you out. He's a great guy to do business with as well. Phone: (870) 424-3381 His add is in the left column
{Quote} Ok for anyone that's interested the proper name is a Roberts Wrap rod. Not really a spiral. Mike's given one example of the advantages but a key point is that the line never comes in contact with the rod during the fight.
I've got one and I use it for crankbaits. Lowe's Super Touch Graphite 6'6" medium heavy. You don't see a lot of them around because people think they look backwards.
Schneiders rod shop in Arkansas still produces them. I love mine and hope I never break it. I'd :'( I've really become attached to it.
We use to have one of the largest producers of them in Illinois but the man sold the company to his partner and there's law suits both ways.
Mike what brand are your rods ? Do you know who made them?
I've been told the original owners rods can be gotten From Schneiders Rod shop.
Had an older Gentleman selling them across from our booth at the St. Charles MO. Let's go Fishing Show.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (172.58.158.---)
Date: October 02, 2021 10:54AM

The rod I purchased is not a Robert's wrap. I wish it were. All guides are on top on my Lowe's rod.

Thanks for the info.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2021 12:06PM

"Robert's Wrap" is only one name for a wide variety of casting spiral wraps.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 02, 2021 01:57PM

Kent Griffith Wrote: I tried searching online for information about this brand and come up with nothing other than a hat, and a couple of patches for sale on @#$%&, and an old man's obituary;

-------------------------------------------------------
> The rod I purchased is not a Robert's wrap. I wish
> it were. All guides are on top on my Lowe's rod.
>
> Thanks for the info.

The point I was trying to make is Ron Schneider is an old timer in Rod building and sales of Blanks, Grips, guides as well, {And apparently he did build on these blanks so he knows them.} Any builder worth his salt Knows about the Blanks he's building on, Such as information on the rod blanks, construction, materials. Whether or not the blank is spiral wrapped is Trivial. As he very well may have Built them straight on top as well for all we know. You wanted Information on the Lowe's Blank's did you not???? If not? Why did you even post???? If you want Info on it, I would call Ron as he clearly Built on them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2021 05:23PM by Jay Dubay.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (172.58.158.---)
Date: October 05, 2021 04:14PM

Hi Kent,

I seem to recall those maybe being made by a small rod company in Harrison, AR.
They made private label rods for various companies.

Reb-Rod in Flippen, AR. might be another source of info, since they also did batches of private label rods of all kinds.
Also, there was a company in western Arkansas near Fayetteville, but have no info on them.
If I come across more info, I'll get back to you.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneiders Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
870-424-3381
www.schneidersrods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2021 10:17AM by Kent Griffith.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster