I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

10" or 9" fly rod?
Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: September 30, 2021 06:31PM

I am thinking of wrapping up a 7-wt fly rod for streamers to use for trout in larger rivers (streamers or other big bugs), and maybe some steelhead or light salt. What are the key benefits of a 10-ft. over a 9-ft. rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 10" or 9" fly rod?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 30, 2021 07:22PM

Depends on your lines and terminal gear you use, 10 ft rods are more stress on the shoulder over many days of fishing and heavier sinktips that some including me while steelhead fishing only makes it worse. The upside is mending is easier. In my golden years I can say I've preferred my 9 ft rods overall.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 30, 2021 07:58PM

The longer the rod the better the leverage is for the fish, not the fisherman!.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2021 08:02PM

While not in my golden years, I’ll second Spencer’s opinion.

Posted by: John Sansevera (---.hsd1.ny.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2021 10:38PM

I personally prefer 10 ft , made up a couple 2pc 10ft fly rods for steelhead about 4 yrs ago, my 9 footers will probably never see sunlight again.

Fishing is not a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that

Posted by: Nick McCasey (---.nhvn.fibertech.com)
Date: October 01, 2021 06:39AM

I had this same dilemma a few months back. I was building a 7wt. for the same purposes as you (streamers and occasional steelhead fishing). I ended up splitting the difference and building a 9' 6", and I'm happy I didn't go 10'. Even at 9.5' it's taxing on the shoulder to throw streamers all day (I'm throwing them on a sink tip). Ultimately I'd build for your main use case, 9 ft. if it's mainly going to be a streamer rod, or 10 ft. if mostly for steelheading. Or you can split the difference like I did.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: October 01, 2021 07:34PM

Which blank did you use for the 7-wt?

Posted by: Nick McCasey (---.nhvn.fibertech.com)
Date: October 04, 2021 06:47AM

I used a CTS Affinity MX that I ordered through Herb Ladenheim who you can find on this message board. It's a "moderate-fast" blank (where I know most people recommend fast or x-fast for streamers) , but I've had zero problem throwing a double streamer rig on a sink tip with it.

Posted by: jon tobey (165.225.210.---)
Date: October 28, 2021 03:27PM

Maybe not applicable here, but I find 10' rods better for fishing the beach as it gives you just a little more ease in your back cast against the slope.
That said, depending on how tall you are or how far you have to wade, they extra length will also keep your line out of the water on a back cast.
I tend to do a lot of single hand spey casts, or if I have a fighting but use the second hand too. I am guessing that the longer rod would facilitate this. This is a great way to get heavy flies and sinking tips out of the water and back to the fish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster