I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alps power wrapper vs Flexcoat power wrapping / finishing machine
Posted by: David Wilson (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: September 29, 2021 12:44PM

I recently had a conversation with someone from the Flexcoat team as I was looking for a slip clutch to add to my alps power wrapper. After long conversation, I am considering making a switch to the Flexcoat system and selling my alps. I am hoping to hear from anyone who has used both and what and why you prefer one over the other.

Thanks!
David

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alps power wrapper vs Flexcoat power wrapping / finishing machine
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 29, 2021 07:45PM

David,
Once you began using the flex coat wrapper you will stop using the Alps wrapper.

Your choice.

Posted by: David Wilson (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: September 29, 2021 10:23PM

Hey thanks for the reply Roger, what do you feel is better on the Flexcoat?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 30, 2021 01:13AM

Ultra low speed control that is so necessary for intricate wrapping. Also, the slip clutch is very handy at times.

Be safe

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 30, 2021 09:02AM

I have very good low speed control with my Alps power wrapper as well. I do thing the Flexcoat has a better thread carriage. Other than that, and the slip clutch, I see very little difference. Both are well made.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.static.flhsi.com)
Date: September 30, 2021 09:19AM

I've used both products but prefer the Alps because it feels better for me. So this is a matter of personal taste. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: September 30, 2021 09:32AM

I've only had mine for a few weeks but I love it. The motor speed is perfect, the slip clutch works good and everything slides under your rod, you don't have to move anything around to get from one side of the rod to the other. I bought the whole shabang, extension and all to go over 12 ft. The only thing I really didn't like about it is the the thread carriage and the tension device. It seems to pinch and twist the thread (as many folks on this forum have stated of this way of using tension) so I removed everything leaving only the sled and that eye that slides back and forth. I then built my own using two long bolts (for two spools) mounted horizontal on a 3x2x3/4 board and used springs to apply the tension like my older but cruder one I started with. Worked out for me. There are a couple threads recently on this so I feel I am repeating myself...

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2021 03:14PM

If anyone has any questions about the Flex Coat DC777, I welcome the phone call. 512-858-7742

As far as the tension devices, this was covered a few weeks ago, but our tension devices are an industry standard tensioner that is on billions of sewing machines, embroidery machines around the globe. The only thing is when it comes to coarse metallic thread and that is solved by the two teflon washers that are supplied on one of the tension devices.

I also understand that some rod builders like what they have and don't want anything new. I designed this new take on our classic wrapper to answer all the problems I had when I was employed as a professional wrapper, and also added more features for finishing and guide alignment. I am proud to say that it does a great job and covers the most ground of any power wrapper and with one motor and no belts to adjust, maintain or replace when they wear out.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2021 03:15PM

[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster