I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Setting up the thread sled
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 26, 2021 01:42AM

Are there any videos for properly setting up the thread carriage on the Alps Power wrapper, and setting the proper tension. My sled moves very freely, and I believe it's set up correctly but I have significant problems with the wrapping thread jumping backwards with relation to the direction I'm wrapping in. This causes me to have to unwind thread, correct, and rewind. My eyes aren't what they once were, and I've caught mistakes when I though the wrap was complete, causing me to have to cut off the wrap and start over. This is a royal pain, and time consuming. I watch videos of people getting perfect high-speed wraps. It looks so easy. I'm still wrapping faster than by hand, and applying Gen 4 is a breeze. But any wisdom on setting up/positioning the thread carriage would be greatly appreciated.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Setting up the thread sled
Date: September 26, 2021 08:34AM

I am a very educated dummy. Well, I figured out the thread carriage issue, made a few test wraps, and the wrapper wraps fast and clean. Yay! I put the second section from the butt onto the but section, after wrapping on the stripper guide and epoxying the wrap yesterday afternoon. It turns out that I'm a hair or two too close to the joint,. The epoxy on the guide foot keeps the two sections from joining tightly. When assembled, as it is now, another 16th, of an inch movement toward the butt, and it would be perfect. I should have placed the guide on the second section up from the butt, as that section slides onto the butt section. So what's the best way to remove cured Gen 4 from a carbon rod blank, sand paper, emery cloth, a fie tooth bastard file?

RJF

Date: September 26, 2021 08:54AM

Found a couple Toutube videos showing how to remove the epoxy and blank. It doesn't look so hard. We'll see.

RJF

Date: September 26, 2021 04:52PM

Well I just spent 2 hours trying to remove that stripping guide. It's still not off. I followed the directions from the Youtube video, where the guy uses a one sided razor blade to remove the epoxy from the top of the guide foot only, to protect the blank. He the was able to capture some thread and just easily peel away the remaining epoxy. Let me tell you, Gen 4 is tough stuff. I couldn't peel away anything. Even after cutting away all thread, and Gen 4 from the guide feet, I coudn't so much as budge that stripper guide. Talk about good penetration! I even tried mild heat, but to no avail. I may have to call on my son, the Dental Surgeon. He has superb hand-eye coordination, great vision, and some very good tools. I don't want to damage the blank. If I were more limber, I'd be kicking myself. Anybody want to come to my Son's house and remove a stripping guide? LOL.

RJF

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: September 26, 2021 11:49PM

Robert,
You seem to be answering your own questions = good for you! Otherwise, send me airfare to-and-from LAX and I’ll help you lol.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 27, 2021 12:24AM

Robert,
With respect to removing wrapping thread and cured epoxy, the simple answer is heat.

Use GENTLE heat to soften the epoxy.

Remember, not so much heat that you damage the blank. As you add a bit of heat, keep checking with your finger nail. When you can slightly dent the epoxy, you are in a position to scrape it off and clean up the blank.

If you don't heat the epoxy that is well cured, it is going to be a long day and lots of frustration.

Over the years, I have stripped a lot of rods that needed rebuilding. Normally, it only takes me a short time to completely strip everything off the blank to be able to start everything from scratch. i.e. guides, tip top, reel seat, and grips.

Best wishes.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 28, 2021 04:22PM

w hy would a company make a rod finish that tough to remove..could it be an epoxy glue..i would not use it again, that,s for sure.

Date: September 28, 2021 04:26PM

Tried the mild heat on the cured Gen 4. It did nothing. I spent 3 more hours today, and finally got the guide, and all epoxy off of the blank. Didn't damage he blank. To hide the cosmetic imperfections left over, I joined the two sections together, and laid a clean thread wrap about 2 inches back from the section joint, to a1/16thof an inch before the joint. Then I
mixed up another ml of epoxy, adding red coloring powder to the epoxy, and coated the wrap. You would think it was there simply to demark the section end, and it looks great. I desearve a chocolate silk pie (woe is me, dietary restrictions forbid chocolate from my diet). I guess a sugar free A&W root beer will have to suffice. In any case, yahoo!

RJF

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster