I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cutting Texalium Tubing?
Posted by: Dennis Penton (---)
Date: September 24, 2021 09:49AM

So I bought a 10in.piece of texalium tubing to use for decorative purposes. I intend to use three (3), 1 inch pieces in the handle sections of a split grip design. I experimented cutting the texalium with a Harbor Freight 6 inch cut off saw similar to the on in this link:
[www.amazon.com]

When I cut slowly the composite in the tube melts and the fibers at the ends unravel. When I cut the pieces quickly, they came out better, but are not squared. So now I have 3 pieces that are not squared. Any ideas on how to square them without melting them or creating jagged ends? I still have material left so I can attempt 3 more cuts but want to make sure they come out right. This stuff is pricey. Any advice and making clean cuts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting Texalium Tubing?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 24, 2021 09:53AM

You may be better off cutting them with a fine tooth hand saw and then sanding or filing the ends square. Cutting with an abrasive wheel does create a lot of heat at the cut.

Date: September 24, 2021 09:56AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You may be better off cutting them with a fine
> tooth hand saw and then sanding or filing the ends
> square. Cutting with an abrasive wheel does create
> a lot of heat at the cut.
>
> .........

Hmmm? Didn't think about that. I'll look into it.
Do you think a different wheel might work... not sure which one?

Date: September 24, 2021 10:30AM

All the abrasive wheels are going to create heat. A cold-cut saw might be better, although those blades have fairly wide kerfs. They will cut about anything, however, and with little to no heat because they are actually cutting the material, not abrading through it.

If you continue to go the abrasive wheel route, I'd be more apt to try a small thin abrasive wheel on a Dremel tool. Wrap some tape around the circumference of the tube and cut your way around. The problem with the large bench top cutter is that you continue to generate heat all around the cut instead of just at the cut point. Not sure this makes sense but the Dremel type wheel might work for you here.

Date: September 24, 2021 10:59AM

I do have a Dremel... but wasn't sure I could get that edge square enough with it.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 24, 2021 11:54AM

Hello Dennis.

Take a piece of tape and put a line down the middle of it with a ruler and wrap it around the tube where You want to cut it being careful to get it on straight.

Make the tape long enough to go all the way around the tube, and when you get to the overlap point cut it off and do not overlap.

Just cut down the line and all should be fine.

I use a Dremel tool.

Good Luck.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2021 11:55AM by Robert A. Guist.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: September 24, 2021 12:31PM

I would mark the tube using Roberts method, but I would use a jewelers saw to cut the tube. It would be tedious and deliberate but the cut will be clean and true.

Have fun

J

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: September 24, 2021 03:16PM

Dennis,
Your Texalium tubes are simply FRP = Fiber Reinforced Plastic. Due to the Plastic part of the equation, successfully cutting the tube requires generating as little heat as possible to avoid melting the plastic. Cut-off wheels, whether large or Dremel types, generate too much heat. Use a hacksaw with as fine of a blade as possible (=>32 TPI) with light pressure to minimize splinters. If the thin wall of the tube gets “caught” in the teeth of the blade, make your cut in the reverse direction; while pulling the hacksaw toward you. Both CF and FG (Texalium is nothing more than aluminum-coated FG) respond very well to being cut with a hacksaw and sanded with typical aluminum oxide sandpaper. Aramid (Kevlar) is a whole different animal and requires special cutting tools and procedures.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: September 24, 2021 06:09PM

There are a lot of different ways you can go about it. An abrasive wheel is perhaps the worst choice. Since nobody mentioned it an oscillating tool with a toothed blade is one option.

That said, my main point is I would highly suggest dust collection with a HEPA filter (or better yet, working outside) and a respirator. Carbon fiber is probably worse than texalium but I'll claim enough ignorance to suggest erring on the side of caution with either.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 24, 2021 07:22PM

It can be cut with a fine triangular file, takes a while but won't damage it. Once you get a line established around the circumference it goes pretty fast.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 24, 2021 07:33PM

exactly Lynn..the three corner file does a great job of keeping airborn particles down.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: September 24, 2021 08:14PM

Put it in your power wrapper or lathe (if you have such) and use a jewelers saw, 3 corner file or any fine tooth cutting instrument you may have.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 24, 2021 10:26PM

I'm thinking a coping saw, with a fine tooth blade will generate the lest amount of heat, as the blade width is so narrow that there is little contact to create friction. As others have stated, wrap a piece of masking tape around the tube to act as a guide. Then, cut from the top down just until you start cutting through the tube wall. Turn, and repeat. As you cut just the surface downward, instead of at a cross section to the tube wall, the teeth will not catch the fibers, and you will have a smooth cut.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 25, 2021 10:39AM

Dennis,
A couple of things.

1. Assuming that your saw is not modified, a stock saw blade spins much too fast for a great job in cutting any sort of plastic. The high blade speed, generates too much heat and the plastic melts, rather than cutting cleanly.

2. Also, it is likely that the saw kerf is too wide, such that too much material is being removed at one time - and thus too much heat is generated and thus the material melts rather than being sliced cleanly.

Since you have some pieces cut, but they are not square, the easiest thing to do, would be to simply sand the material with a 90 degree jig such that you end up with square ends on the material.

If you have access to a disk sander, you can easily square up the ends with no issue.

If not, and if you want the pieces cleaned up quickly, take the pieces to a machine shop and have the pieces machined square in a few seconds.

---------------------------
By the way, I had such issues with tennessee grip cork handles for fishing rods. i.e. I would make a handle of cork rings and make plug for the hole at the butt of the rod to create a finished end at the end of the rod to form a clean butt cap - so to speak - on the fishing rods.
I would use a disk sander, but I had trouble - insuring that the ends of the grip were square.

My solution was to use a cross lock vise. I had an extra disk sander that I normally used when working with various materials used in rod building as well as general shop work. But it was sitting idle, so I built a dedicated 90 degree sander to finish the ends of any rod grips that I built.

The picture of the sander with the cross vise as part of the machine:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Current version of the cross vice from Harbor freight:

[www.harborfreight.com]
------------------------------------
So, for myself, I would use the disk sander with the cross vise to put a perfect 90 degree end on the pieces of material.

-----------------------------------
However, there is one more machine that I would use initially to make the cut. This is a mini chop saw that I use with a 3 inch very thin abrasive cut off wheel. In addition, I use a router speed control to reduce the speed of the cutting wheel to a speed that is just barely fast enough to cut the plastic material. The worst enemy of cutting plastic is heat, and heat is quickly generated by a fast turning blade. So, slow and steady wins the race every time for this material.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

To create this mini chop saw, I started with the standard mini chop saw from Harbor freight. Then, I removed the saw from its base and used a disk sander to remove all of the raised lettering on the base of the saw that were numbers for angle cutting. Since I only wanted a 90 degree chop saw, I had no need for such lettering. Then, I used a piece of small aluminum to create a work backstop at 90 degrees to the blade which was screwed in place. Then, I removed the 2 inch saw blade and replaced it with a very thin 3 inch abrasive cut off wheel. Finally, I connected a router speed control in between the ac outlet and the 120 volt ac/dc universal motor that was the motor in the saw. This motor is virtually identical to the typical ac/dc universal motor used in sewing machines or most of todays power wrappers. This control allowed me to dial in the slowest speed that would just barely cut the material, but by turning more slowly, generated very little heat and thus did little melting while cutting the plastic material.

[www.harborfreight.com]

[www.harborfreight.com]

[www.harborfreight.com]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way, if you happen to have a vise, you can improvise a simple square cutting sander. Simply put the piece of material that you wish to clean up into the vise. I am assuming that the ends of the vise are at 90 degrees to the jaws of the vice. Then, gently close the vice just enough to secure the piece of material with the non square ends of the material protruding from the end of the vice. Then, simply take a piece of sand paper on a sanding block, and sand off all material that is protruding from the end of the vice and you will have a square end on the material. It would really help you if your vise happened to have a horizontal groove in the face of the vice jaws to insure that the piece of material was placed into the vice jaws squarely.

An inexpensive vice to use would be a drill press vice as shown here:
[www.harborfreight.com]

One could lay a piece of appropriate sized material on the bed of the vise and then lay your piece of material that you need to square up and leave the non squared end of material protruding from the end of the vise. Gently close the jaws, so the work piece will be secure without crushing the piece. Then use a sanding block on the ends of the vice to square up the end of the piece of material that is protruding from the jaws of the vise.

Best wishes.

Date: September 25, 2021 12:29PM

Wow. Great info here. Thank you so much for taking the time to post up all these great responses. I do have a sanding disc and also a Dremel. I would need to get a Squaring device to make it work. Another question. If I want to go with a Dremel what if I want to use the micro saw blade rather than an abrasive blade?
[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: September 25, 2021 02:30PM

Anything power (cut-off wheels whether abrasive or toothed) = too fast cutting speed = too much heat = soften / melt the plastic.
By hand (hacksaw / jewelers saw) = slow cutting speed = virtually no heat = cleaner cut.
Your choice.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 25, 2021 09:09PM

I could have done it with a file in the time it took me to read this. Very, very, fine teeth = smooth cut. I would think a coping saw too aggressive.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: September 27, 2021 01:59AM

I use my band saw. No issues.

Posted by: Mark Mulanax (---)
Date: September 27, 2021 01:30PM

Manual Pipe Cutter?-use masking tape to protect cut area

Tubing cutter would be too small

Date: September 28, 2021 11:05AM

Mark Mulanax Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Manual Pipe Cutter?-use masking tape to protect
> cut area
>
> Tubing cutter would be too small

There are larger tubing cutters available (up to 2 inch OD) so this might not be a bad idea to try. Only issue is that these cutters require pressure on the surface, so you might have to slip the tubing over a dowel or similar core to keep the cutter from simply crushing the tube.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster