I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Split Grip/Fighting Butt
Posted by: Dan Nichols (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: September 24, 2021 12:38AM

Besides being decorative…what is the purpose (if anything) if a split grip/fighting butt?
Most of the casting rods I see for sale lately have that as a design element.
I’m just curious if they serve any functional purpose?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Split Grip/Fighting Butt
Posted by: Darwin Wong (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: September 24, 2021 01:32AM

Preference as well, i just like the feel of the split grip when casting. Also saves some weight if thats an area of concern.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 24, 2021 02:12AM

Cheaper to build and lighter, what other reason do you need? They suck in a rod holder compared to full grips.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 24, 2021 09:14AM

The whole idea of a split-grip is purely functional. Rich Forhan pioneered this concept for freshwater casting rods in his book Powerhand Baitcasting and has written a few articles around the concept for RodMaker.

Why add anything to a rod that isn't needed? If the only portions of the handle used for most bass fishing (and similar) casting and fishing techniques is the reel seat and the butt, why have additional grip area and weight on the rod? At least that's how Rich saw it and today most such rods don't bother with unneeded grip material.

Do keep in mind that a split-grip/no-foregrip handle isn't best for all rods. They were intended primarily for bass casting rods, not for use in a rod holder, etc.

Posted by: Dennis Penton (---)
Date: September 24, 2021 10:00AM

Depending on the technique used, some guys put their forearm up against the exposed blank for greater sensitivity. This technique is recommended for slow pitch jigging.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: September 24, 2021 10:06AM

Here are a couple of videos on how we do it:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 24, 2021 08:54PM

Where can Mr..Forhan's book be purchased?

Date: September 24, 2021 10:10PM

I believe it is out of print now, but I suspect you can find one for sale online somewhere. Just have to do a search.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 25, 2021 08:33AM

i have seen buddies fightig a nice bass without a foregrip..they are in pain from trying to hold the rod where the forgrip would normally be..such a silly idea..

Date: September 25, 2021 10:34AM

If you fight the fish with a hand forward of the reel seat, then put a fore grip on it. If not, then don't. It's really just that simple.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 25, 2021 11:52AM

For me personally, a split rear grip is strictly for looks. The look cool. Yes it's a weight savings, but IMO it can be a weight savings that can be detrimental to the balance of the rod and reel combination. Even though the added weight of a full grip versus a split grip really doesn't amount to much, (depending on grip material of course) that little bit of extra weight behind the reel, can make a difference in how the rod and reel feel in your hand.

As far as fore grip or no fore grip goes .... if you are fighting fish that fight long and hard, I can definitely see the advantage of having a fore grip on a rod. For bass and other similar fish, where the fight lasts for maybe 5 minutes, tops .... I don't see the point. Like a full grip, even though the weight of a fore grip (again depending on grip material) doesn't amount to much, but it's weight ahead of he reel which can make a difference in how the rod and reel balance in your hand.

I will say this until the day I die .... weight, if it is for a purpose, is not a rod builders enemy. But the lack of weight sure can be

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 28, 2021 09:19AM

for me, i would give up the rear grip and keep the foregrip especially on a flipping rod but i hold the rod by the foregrip and not the reel, much better ergonomics, reels are not grips, too fat..i can only get my fingers half way around..another silly idea..lol..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster