I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Starting my journey into Rod Building
Posted by: Tony Vieson (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2021 02:14PM

Getting started into the world of rod building. Mudhole has been the one that more or less showed me that you could even do this as a DIY project. I was set to take a class with them in order to learn the process until COVID put a halt to that. Here I am a year past that and I still have the itch to learn how to build my own rods.

Some may or may not agree, but the proper tools can have a large impact on doing the job right and achieving the best quality possible. Now please do not take statement as under valuing technique and heart. As I feel those are just as important, but right now I need the tools. There are many tools available to do this and Mudhole appears to have everything you need and then some.

What tools do I actually need and what tools are more or less a cash grab or a gimmick for lack of a better word. Furthermore, what tools or supplies are advertised as high quality, but are the same as items than you can find at your local hardware, craft, or hobby store. I want to avoid paying for the name or something that’s call a specialty tool because it listed as a particular name on a rod building site but is called by something unless in your everyday hardware store for 1 3rd the cost.

Last, is there anybody besides Mudhole near Cincinnati, OH the offers a Rod Building class?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Starting my journey into Rod Building
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: September 22, 2021 02:27PM

Tool Needs:
1. Wrapper (Static base or power) I started on the MudHole All in one kit metal stands with felt lining.

2. Rod dryer. At a minimum I do not recommend the one that looks like a plunger. Get at one with a split wire chuck because if you use it for finishing it will help level the rod better than the rubber plunger.

3. Cutting tools; razors, thread snips

4. Reamers. Stay away from the all black glued on grit models. Go for the ones that are spiral wrapped with the "sandpaper." you can replace the paper when it wears out.

5. Thread tensioner. The Mudhole model is great for static base wrapping.

6. Thread burnishing tool and pick.

7. DNA torch or similar

Gimmicks:

1. SPINE FINDER! Even if you choose to spine you don't need that tool to do it.

2. SPINE FINDER! Trust me.

These and basic expendables and things like a tape measure can get you started. I am sure I missed something but I am on lunch at work so I am trying to go fast. If I were in the shop I would send links and be more thorough.

EDIT:
Welcome to the family. May you develop the same passion as I and others here have. It is a very rewarding and meaningful journey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2021 02:28PM by Aaron Petersen.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 22, 2021 03:00PM

Tony,

I started my rod-building journey over 53 years ago with my only tool a book by Dale Clemons. I used telephone books for thread tension, held the rod in my hand without a wrapping stand, and used a one-part rod finish (like U-40 Perma Bond) so a drying motor was not necessary. For a burnishing tool, I used my thumb-nail, That being said, I do recommend the following:

1) Drying motor - very importand for 2-part epoxies as they take several hours to cure

2) Reamers for fitting handles to the blank (can use scrap blank pieces with sand or sandpaper glued thereto)

3) Sandpaper (various grits for shaping handles)

4) Single-edge razor blades and scissors (for cutting thread)

5) Alcohol lamp (multiple uses, including melting ferrule cement (tip top glue) and removing fine thread remnamts from wraps before applying epoxy)

6) 91% Isopropol Alchol or Denatured Alcohol for the Alcohol Lamp

7) Thread tension device - Telephone books of sufficient size are no longer available. A fly tyers bobbin can be used and poked through the back of a cardboard box, If you notch the ends of the box, it can double as a wrapping stand.

8) Cheap disposable paint brushes (for applying thread coat and other epoxies)

9) For mixing epoxy, you can use condiment cups from fast food restaurants or buy them at the dollar store. I used the handles from my used paint brushes as stir sticks for many years.

10) Thread pullers - I started using thread scraps but have graduated to using a 10lb super-line. The super-line is more durable and does not break when pulling the end of the thread under the wrap.

As an FYI, I teach kids to build their own rods using a "seat-of-the-pants" method without expensive tools and equipment. Been doing this for several years with many happy graduates! Good luck on your DIY adventure, and remember to enjoy the process!

Rich Bowers

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2021 11:10PM by Richard Bowers.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 22, 2021 05:39PM

Anyone who cannot find the spine on a blank without buying an expensive tool should go on to other hobbies. Agree with Aaron.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: September 22, 2021 07:26PM

You don't need much.

Some 1" X 4" wood with a V-notch lined with velvet does fine as a wrapper. Many used a V-notch cut in a cardboard box or just held the rod....so you are already high timing it with 4 feet of popular, 4 drywall screws, and some titebond wood glue. Next step up? Replace the V-notch with rollers (think in-line skate wheels, sliding glass door rollers, etc.). Telephone books and a cup to put the spool of thread in does the job for tension.

Some prefer disposable brushes, some like a nice artist brush, and some use a spatula to apply thread wrap finish. Try them all and decide what you like.

Stuff you have to have; Well of course blanks, guides, reel seats, handles/grips and rod wrapping thread. Then thread finish, epoxy adhesive, and rod tip hot melt glue. I'd add masking tape (3/4" and 1/8"), single edge razor blades, a tape measure, and some type of solvent like regular drugstore alcohol. You will need paper towels/rags and surgical gloves come in handy. Things that you might have around the house, like darning/knitting needles are fine for burnishing thread and cuticle clippers are good for thread cutting chores. A rod dryer is nice to have but hardly necessary. Shot glasses and a saucer lined with aluminum foil takes care of mixing and applying finish. Point is you don't have to buy much so almost all of it could be called a "money grab".

Start slow and with the basics. Find out if this hobby is for your first. Then decide what tool would save you time and/or speed up your process. Very few equate to making a better rod. A lot of what you might need in extras will be dictated by the type of rods you make. For example I tend to build salt water rods with EVA grips. So I don't "need" to ream the grips and I "can" use masking tape for arbors, meaning I don't "have" to have reamers and pilot bits. In time I think they are worthwhile adds but for now a rat tail file and regular drill bits will do (if needed at all).

Fist I must make a disclaimer. If you are considering this because you think you will save money, stop right now and run for the hills, because you won't. You will however, end up with much better quality rods.

Next, your first step should be to rebuild some of your current favorite rods. You need to prove to yourself that better guides and guide layout along with static guide placement (plus weight reduction techniques) make an undeniable difference. When you "know" that building a rod translates into something that puts more fish in the boat on every trip then it becomes financially worth it.

Way before you invest in rod building tools, invest in gathering knowledge. Of all the things you could learn (IMHO) learning how to look at butt and tip diameters, material used, blank weight, power, and casting weight range.....and matching them to your needs....pays the most dividends. As anglers we only see/feel/fish what local stores decide is right for our area/market. Well I am telling you that I'm in southern Florida and some of the best blanks for my waters are sold and marketed for the Pacific north west and I will never ever see them in any store in my area. The worst thing you can think is "I'm a bass fisherman so I only need to concentrate of bass blanks".

P.S. try to identify a member who is local to your waters and offers sound advice. The people that post the most aren't always offering the best advice for you. They mean well but their experience might not translate. Some here are about building rods to sell for money. A select few are fishermen trying to improve their catch rate. You need to decide what you are after. I'm a fisherman. One forum member local to your waters who is also a fisherman is David Baylor (I hate naming names). We fish entirely different waters and techniques yet I have a lot of respect for what he has to say. Maybe you can make a new friend and find a mentor? Lord knows you have found the best forum and best of luck to you. I wouldn't be in a hurry to attend a rod building class and I'd never buy a rod kit, FWIW.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 23, 2021 09:17AM

you must have a spine finding tool..this is the way it has been done by true rod builders for the last 60 years..lol..(that sounds so corny).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2021 09:50AM by ben belote.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: September 23, 2021 09:41AM

Throw the alcohol torch in the trash to prevent some devastating events that they have caused

Ron Weber

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: September 24, 2021 10:34AM

Tony

The Flex Coat Small Business Kit is a great place to start. You get enough glue, finish, supplies, equipment and instructional material to get you going and keep you going. Also, this kit comes with reamer abrasive to make your own power reamers. You can do this using old or blemished rod blanks that match the taper exactly to the rods you want to build. We have a video on how to make a reamer:

[www.youtube.com]

You should build a rod better than you can buy. Three things to consider when building a custom fishing rod: performance, performance, performance. I like the analogy of fighter jets and fishing rods. Nothing looks more cool than a fighter jet and everything on that bad boy makes it go fast and blow stuff up. A fishing rod is the same. Everything on it should make its performance, sensitivity and action for your style of fishing the best it can be. If you do this well, and with some practice, it will look great.

The small business kit is also upgradable to our other systems of power wrappers. We make OEM quality equipment right here in Driftwood, Texas that lasts for years and years. If you would like to talk to me on the phone I would be glad talk more about rod building. 512-858-7742

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 24, 2021 08:40PM

This is what you need to put rod components together.
>Rod drying motor and rack. (most recommended tool)
>Reamer or set of reamers. (large, medium and small)
>Rod Wrapper with a means of holding the blank stationary to hold tension on thread. (V Cut shoe box, homemade stand, store bought wrapper) Ask Roger about making one, he is an expert on the
subject.
>Tape Measure and / or ruler.
>Some way to hold guides to blank while wrapping. (I use thin slices of masking tape or string with a small bead)
>Thread loops to pull tag ends to secure wraps.
>Thread tensioning device that holds thread and controlled resistance on the line. (homemade, store bought or combination of both)
>Thread (ROD WRAPPING THREAD)
>Something to burnish thread with. (Too many things you can use to list, like fingernails.)
>Epoxy, fast setting for mounting reel seats and grips. Can be a gel or paste.
>Wrapping epoxy. Clear, UV resistant and slow setting. (use a designated wrapping epoxy like Flex Coat)
>Disposable brushes for wrapping epoxy application 1/8" or 1/4" width.
>Color Preserver (CP)
>Tip Top hot glue.
>Lighter, Alcohol Burner, Gas Torch, heat Gun (to get bubbles out of epoxy and mount tip top)
>Small epoxy mixing cups and stirs.
>Syringes for the two part epoxy measuring. (use ones from the rod building industry because those are not lubricated with silicon)
>Aluminum Foil (Epoxy mixing)
>Safety razors, Scissors, Flush cut lite wire cutters. (for cutting thread)
>Small Tweezers for pulling hair out of epoxy
>Paper towels (for cleanup and excessive epoxy wipe down)
>Denatured Alcohol or/and rubbing alcohol.
>Masking tape
>Acetone
You don't need:
<Spine finder
<Laser straight edge
If you want to get into grip making, that is a whole other subject with its own tool set.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2021 08:43PM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Posted by: Tony Vieson (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2021 01:09PM

I have been very busy since making this post, but I wanted to take a couple minutes to say thank you to everybody who has responded. I greatly appreciate your input on this subject.

This is going to be my winter project while my BASS Club takes a break. Usually November till March.

There is not short supply of craft and fabric shops in my area. Lance mentioned (ROD WRAPPING THREAD). What should I be looking for with regards to thread?

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2021 02:40PM

I like Fuji Thread from Anglers Resource. Really good thread.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 28, 2021 08:30AM

In addition - Fish Hawk thread as well as Pac Bay thread are very good rod wrapping thread.

[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Pages 134,135 and 136 of their 2020 catalog:

[www.fishpacbay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2021 08:34AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: September 29, 2021 06:00AM

I wouldn’t buy a power wrapper to build the volume of rods you will likely build for yourself. A nice one will cost more than everything else you need and not necessarily help you build better rods. If you are building a few rods each winter, hand wrappers won’t get very laborious.

I think it is good to keep early builds simple. Fancy thread patterns just add weight, blunt sensitivity, and increase chances to make mistakes. If you match the thread color to blank color, it is aesthetically pleasing to leave off trim or edge bands. Some very expensive fly rods are built this way and spinning and baitcasting rods look just as nice in this style. Decals are unnecessary and leaving them off looks clean and custom. I started to think I was getting staid in my building so I tried a couple of more complex types of thread patterns and decals. I didn’t have any issues and everything turned out neat and clean. However, I didn’t like these rods as much as the simple style I had gotten use to over 25 to 30 years. I just held a couple of artisan built split bamboo rods. I don’t have permission to drop names, so I won’t. They were the nicest built rods I have ever touched, and perfect in their elegant simplicity.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 29, 2021 05:32PM

good stuff Kendall !

Posted by: Tony Vieson (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 04, 2021 02:52PM

So I have officially ordered everything. Feel like a kid waiting for the ice cream truck., LOL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster