I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crappie jigging rod... tip wrap
Posted by: Joel Babin (98.39.46.---)
Date: September 22, 2021 12:00PM

After researching here I purchased a Rainshadow Revelation 6wt 10ft 2 piece to build a vertical jigging rod. I wrapped the guides up last night and also wrapped the last 2.5 inches of the blank up to the tip top in fluorescent yellow (as a visual indicator). Is there any issue with wrapping that much of the rod tip?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2021 12:34PM by Joel Babin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crappie jigging rod... tip wrap
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.gtcom.net)
Date: September 22, 2021 02:23PM

That’s the same blank I use for making crappie jig rods, and it works very well. I personally wouldn’t wrap the final 2.5” of the tip, because I don’t think it’s necessary, and it would add a little extra weight to the tip. However, I really don’t see much of an issue doing so if that’s what you want. For alignment dots (as mentioned in your unedited post), I do the following. After applying epoxy finish to the guide wraps, I will mix a small amount of paint pigment into the epoxy to get the color I want, and then make two alignment dots, one on each side of the ferrule, using the head of a small finishing brad. Very easy to do, and holds up quite well. The dots will be slightly raised and are like Braille allowing you to put the rod together in the dark.
Norm

Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 22, 2021 02:33PM

Thank you for information of jigging rod. You have my interest. What type of reel is being used? Thank you.

Date: September 22, 2021 03:33PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That’s the same blank I use for making crappie
> jig rods, and it works very well. I personally
> wouldn’t wrap the final 2.5” of the tip,
> because I don’t think it’s necessary, and it
> would add a little extra weight to the tip.
> However, I really don’t see much of an issue
> doing so if that’s what you want. For alignment
> dots (as mentioned in your unedited post), I do
> the following. After applying epoxy finish to the
> guide wraps, I will mix a small amount of paint
> pigment into the epoxy to get the color I want,
> and then make two alignment dots, one on each side
> of the ferrule, using the head of a small
> finishing brad. Very easy to do, and holds up
> quite well. The dots will be slightly raised and
> are like Braille allowing you to put the rod
> together in the dark.
> Norm

Thanks Norm... I went with that blank based on your recommendation. I'm actually building the rod for my father and he likes the bright tip coloration. Seems like the wrap may have stiffened up the tip which made me stop to think about it. Didn't want to create a potential break/weak point by doing the wrap once the epoxy goes down. That logic may not have any merit to it, but figured I'd seek advice from those with more experience.

I did some searching around and I think Decal Connection has an alignment dot decal for this purpose. I need to order a few decals so I may just purchase one of those.

Date: September 22, 2021 03:37PM

Jeffrey D Rennert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you for information of jigging rod. You
> have my interest. What type of reel is being
> used? Thank you.

I'm building it with the Lew's Mr. Crappie Slab Shaker Reel. It could also be used with an underspin as well. He uses the rod like a fly rod, so the reel is just there to hold line.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 22, 2021 05:51PM

Joel,
Perfect blank.
Perfect wrap on the tip.

Especially, for the light bite of Crappies, the longer very bright tip wrap really helps with bite detection.

I have been doing the same thing for years, for this type long rod as well as all of the noodle type ice fishing rods that I build. The very bright tip, is so much easier to see in the dim light of an ice fishing schack.

Take care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster