I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Drop shot rod blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 28, 2021 02:16AM

I have a Lamiglas LSJ 901 XMG 50 I built a dropshot out of, can't imagine how taking 2 inches off the butt would have been an advantage, it was rated 4 to 10 lb line, but the large butt, thin wall design turned out to be every bit as powerful and though soft tipped it locked up faster then my Rainshadow RX8+S822.5 dropshot rod. It is also just as light though longer. My RX7 version is considerably more powerful than the BX8+ version is and I think the new RX7, or 8 blank unless they dramatically changed them would work in your situation of longer cast in deeper water.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Joshua Caldwell (107.117.200.---)
Date: September 30, 2021 09:27PM

Terry Kirk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you like the custom Kistler blank but not the
> build, then strip it and rebuild it to your
> liking.

Terry Kirk that is most likely what I will do in the future. As I find more information on rod building I’m feeling a lot more comfortable stripping down a rod to rebuild. I actually have 2 kistler helium’s, the helium 3 with the nfc blank, and a newer helium med heavy with a different blank manufacturer. I’ll eventually strip them both as I do not Lillie the reel seats, nor the foam on the lock nut. They are both tip heavy also.

But for this goal I’m going to start with a new blank. The NFC x ray mb 733 and sj732 have my interest, along with the Point Blank pb701mlxf. I’ve emailed and called NFC for the past 3 weeks with not one response. Even messaged and commented on Facebook, no reply’s… Anglers Resource on the other hand always answers and provides me with information on the point blanks so I’ll probably spend my money there. Thief only downside is blank variety, I wish they offered a pb731lxf model.

Posted by: edward zinda (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: October 03, 2021 09:21PM

OR. you could use the RS sb822.5 at under $60 (unless you are making really long casts) a really Awesome stick with plenty backbone..have built a few of these for west coast pro team tournament guys and have a few more that want them.. also makes a nice conventional for square bills around the docks.. I stocked up on them in green also for $5 less on sale. of coarse I'm thrifty so I used alps Y guides and EVA grips to stay at about $100 total. Ed

Posted by: Keith George (50.228.17.---)
Date: October 04, 2021 01:32PM

Josh -

I have experience with many of the Dobyns rods and the NFC Xray balnks you are looking at. I used to use the dx741 for lighter drop shots and then step up to the dx742 for anything 3/16oz and above. This is now the same for the sj732 and mb733. I now use the sj732 for drop shots and it has a similar light tip of the Dobyns 742 but I don't think you would get the hooksets you seek on long casts or with swimbaits. The sj732 doesn't have the midrod lock-in power of the 742 if that makes any sense. The mb733 is definitely the same as the 732 power wise but it's tip isn't as light. It does have a light tip just not as light as the 742. The mb733, I think you would be fine with all your intended techniques except the really low weight drop shot. I think the lowest I drop shot with it is 3/16 - it can do less, maybe 1/8 but I would pull the sj732 out for it. For reference I cast and drag my drop shots rather than video game fish. The mb733 is definitely the one for shakey heads.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster