I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Drop shot rod blank
Posted by: Joshua Caldwell (107.117.200.---)
Date: September 22, 2021 11:54AM

Hey guys I got more beginner questions. This will be a long read lol. I’ve finished all my bass rod builds for the moment, and my co angler is really liking what I’m doing and wants a few made. I had to explain to him that I’m using premium components for mine and it would be around $300 in hmm just parts. He was shocked lol. He asked if I could assemble something more budget friendly but still out perform his production rods (bass x, dobyns champ, phenix feather). My only experience with high quality builds is on point blanks and an nfc blank but they are out of his price range. I’m thinking that if I use a more budget friendly blank, but keep the higher quality guidetrain I can get the most out of a decent blank vs a premium blank with mediocre components. Since we both want better drop shot rods first, I’ll probably build one as if it was mine and let him try it. I’ll keep it and adjust fire if he doesn’t.

I’ve been reading on here for days and have found several builds on different blanks that people love but a lot are from years past.
So my question is about what current sub $100(perferably $75ish) blanks perform above their price for what Im building. Here is my list of requirements and recommended blanks I have so far. If anyone has other blanks or component ideas please recommend.

Drop shot rod requirments- 7ft to 7’4”, 1/8- 1/4 weight (3/16 is our standard), soft tip with good backbone for deep water hooksets, tough blank (we tournament fish, he’s rough on rods), Able to handle light wire 1/4oz shakey heads. Our local lake has smallmouth and largemouth up to 6lbs and is deep, usually fishing in 10-30ft of water. We do not video game, but make long casts and work small 2.8 swimbaits or 4.5” worms back to the boat.
12-15lb braid to flourocarbon leader.

Here’s what blanks I’ve found or been recommended so far-
-Liberty ds700-USA, 7ft xtra fast, 1/16 - 5/16
-Liberty ds760-USA 7’6” xtra fast 1/16 - 5/16– (cut 2” off the butt?)
-rainshadow revilation revs610mlxf-sb—(only 6’10”)
-rainshadow revilation revs610mxf-sb—-( only 6’10”)
-rainshadow immortal imms72ml-tc— (top of price range)
-phenix feather B-FTX-S 71M 7’1”—-(special order)
-American Tackle Bushido Drop Shot DS69/4-10—-(fan favorite?)

These are just what I’ve found so far, however I’ve never used any of these blanks. The bushido seems like a favorite among builders along with the rainshadows. The phenix feather seems interesting but that is what he’s using now for drop shot and he wants more. I called getbit about the liberty ds700 and the person recommended it over the others and it’s priced right too.

For components I’d like to keep it simple and function based. No pretty wraps or extra bling. Split grip small cork with Fuji ips 16 or 17seat or apex g2 up locking. Most likely microwave tion nanolite guides (are these titainium or coated stainless?). I’m interested in trying a Tennessee style split grip with cork & tape but I’m curious about sensitivity vs real reel seat. Anyways let me know if I’m leaving out any good blanks. These forums have helped me so much I appreciate any feedback!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drop shot rod blank
Date: September 22, 2021 11:55AM

Duplicate post please delete

Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 22, 2021 02:30PM

While all the rods you have listed are of quality nature, I'm a fan of the AT Bushido Drop Shot DS69/4-10. Good luck with your journey.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 22, 2021 03:17PM

I agree with Jeffrey, the AT Bushido is a premium blank at a decent price point.

As an FYI, AT also has an extra-fast action spinner-bait blank that would probably do very well also (Bushido 6'9" Spinner Bait 6-10 lb.) - especially with the small swimbaits you mentioned.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 22, 2021 06:33PM

Bushido.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 22, 2021 08:27PM

This is just my thinking here, but I would put my money in the blank, versus the guide train. Don't get me wrong here. I have used Fuji T2 titanium guides on my last 4 builds, and they do make a difference. I just don't know that they make as big of a difference as the blank would. Maybe others feel differently?

If I may ask? What is your partners budget, and how much are you charging him to build it?

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 22, 2021 09:03PM

If you're gonna spend more on the blank. Point Blank 691 MLXF is worth a look.

Posted by: Joshua Caldwell (184.170.65.---)
Date: September 22, 2021 11:37PM

Thanks everyone for the advice and recommendations. Seems like the bushido is the favorite by far. The only thing that I do not like about that blank is the length. I usually use a 7’4” rod for finesse/ ds and my co angler uses a 7’1”. I worry that the short length would hinder some of the casting ability as we do not vertical dropshot hardly ever. I may be completely wrong as I’ve never fished a rod that short. Does it keep fish pinned good? And does it have good power incase a big largemouth grabs on?

David Baylor I’ve been back and forth with that question and half of me agrees that a better blank should be used. Honestly I wanted the immortal 7’2” imms72ml-tc as it’s the length we both like. But with everyone recommending the bushido it must perform great. As to his budget, no more than $180. I have both sizes of ips seats and cork in hand, all’s I really need is a blank and guides. I’m not charging him anything as we a fishing partners.

Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 23, 2021 09:53AM

Lynn, I've been really interested in that model by Point Blank. I just built a Air raw carbon 7'6" 3/8-1oz CTS for smaller crank baits. Works great, I'll bet it would do very well with drop shot.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 23, 2021 12:25PM

I too am a CTS fan. The Air blank, comes in at $150 for the 7'6" length with sanded finish. Of course, that's just the blank price. You'd have to still get all of the grips, and hardware.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.84.---)
Date: September 23, 2021 04:29PM

I agree with Mr. Baylor, go with the better blank . The reason component choices come secondary to the blank is because it's not what the guides are made of or the ceramic used that makes the biggest difference in a custom build it's the choices and differences in the type and sizing of the guides that make the biggest difference . NFC blanks are very very affordable and discounted heavily , many can be had for around the one hundred dollar mark . Point Blank will be much more costly .

The Bushido is a popular and proven blank and CTS is always excellent , I consider Liberty blanks mediocre at best .

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 23, 2021 08:17PM

I say this having only built on a handful of different manufacturers blanks. I have built rod on two different models of Immortal blanks. The IMMC72MH and the IMMC73ML, and they are both awesome blanks, that IMO, perform above their price point. I haven't built on or even handled the Immortal blank you mentioned, so I can't share any thoughts about it. I do know this though .... if the power and action of the blank fit your needs, then you will love the rod you build on it. They have excellent sensitivity.

The $180 budget does limit you somewhat as far as a blank goes, but I can certainly understand it. And it's very nice of you to build it for him for free.

I have a question? You say you're both looking for better drop shot rods. What are you looking to make better? Are you looking for more sensitivity, or because of the long casts and deep water, are you looking for more hook setting power?

The reason I ask is, and this is in no way a slight towards you, or saying that you're wrong, it's just sharing my thinking on the blanks you might be considering. I would consider the blanks you mentioned as being blanks for video game drop shot fishing. Or fishing a drop shot close to the boat. 20 - 25' casts, max. IMO the long casts and deep water you're talking about, call for a blank that doesn't have the soft tip that is normally associated with a drop shot rod.

My primary drop shot rod is built on a NFC DS6101 IM blank. Its' specs are pretty close to the specs of the blanks you mentioned. And while it works good for the inland lakes I fish, and for the video game and close to the boat drop shot fishing I do with it. when I take it up to Lake Erie it's a different story. It's great in the spring when the fish are on beds or you're sight fishing cruising fish, but once summer gets here and the fish are out on the reefs in deep water where you need to make long casts, it just doesn't have the guts to get a good hook set.

Anyhow .... just my thinking and maybe something for you to consider

Posted by: Lee Swaim (---)
Date: September 23, 2021 10:42PM

I've used a C270MF (1/4 - 5/8oz) from Rodgeeks for drop shotting and it works really well. It's pretty lightweight, sensitive, and can throw the smaller weights as well. I've also used that same bushido blank and have liked it as well. I personally don't think you can go wrong with either. If you wanted something longer than 7' then you could also try their inshore series, they have 7'6" you could cut to length, C2SW76MLF (1/8 - 1/2oz). I hope this helps.

Lee

Posted by: Joshua Caldwell (---)
Date: September 24, 2021 03:08PM

Mr Nash you and Mr Baylor make a very good point that I didn’t fully consider. I went into this thinking about putting the best guidetrains on an ok blank, but now I realize that I can get way better with a great blank and smaller “decent” guides. I’m rethinking my process on blank selections for this project and talked to my partner more about what he wants.

Mr Baylor I poorly worded my original post as I was still debating with my partner. My co angler is also close family and we tend to argue about what we want vs what we need with fishing equipment. The blanks I originally listed are mix of recommendations from various suppliers and me searching various posts on these forums. I myself, Am not using below a 7’2” medium light for the way I fish . I searched but there’s few builds using longer blanks for drop shot or finesse style bass fishing. I agree that all of the rods I listed seem short and lite too me also. The lake we fish the most has spots over 80ft deep with several steep bluff walls, rocky ledges and some good brush piles. There are bouy’s about 40yds off the walls forcing a longer cast in certain spots. A 2.8 swimbait or worm on a drop shot can slay them here.

Your thinking is absolutely right on the blanks I wails call good for this style of fishing. I’ve always been told longer rods play fish better, and Ive always wanted to try a medium power fast blank here. I’ve always been told that by dropping power and using a faster tip, I can get similar results as a heavier rod. My personal finesse rod is a dx742sf, 7’4” ML fast action. For me it’s length and backbone is good for keeping fish pinned and the longer casts I sometimes make. I can just lean back and let the rod play the fish. Me wanting better is mostly wanting a lighter rod balanced more tip up, and maybe an xtra fast action. Now my partner is looking for more sensitivity and backbone. He’s using a 7’1” light xtra fast and I feel it’s just too light. We both tend to have smallmouth shake off but more so him. I think if he went to a longer medium action with a fast tip or ml action with a xf tip the fish would stay pinned better.

The blanks that’s caught my eye are the NFC mb733-1 x ray lmx, NFC sj762-1, Point Blank 731 mlf, and rainshadow imms72ml-tc so far. I don’t know if the aj761 would be too light? Let me know what you think.

Date: September 24, 2021 05:18PM

Joshua, I just want to share my thinking on a couple of things that may give you some things to think about concerning blank choice. Again, I am not saying you're wrong or anything like that, and am not an expert on the subject, I'm just sharing how I see things. You mention wanting a longer rod for longer casts. Just because you're using a drop shot rig, doesn't mean you're fishing it like a traditional drop shot. Again this is just my opinion here .... and if I am wrong, please correct me. But even though you're using a drop shot rig, you're fishing it like a shaky head, or even a finesse football jig. You're using it to search bigger areas, instead of using it to target specific fish, or specific targets. Because of that, I think you need to use a rod more suited for a shaky head, or finesse football jig, than you do a rod more suited for a drop shot. Or to put it a different way ... I would fish a drop shot on a shaky head rod, before I would fish a shaky head on a drop shot rod. If that makes sense to you?

I just built what I think is an awesome shaky head rod, (and tube jig rod) on one of the new RX10 Eternity blanks from Rainshadow. I built it on an ETEC72M blank. It's labeled as a casting blank, but I built it as a spinning rod. I think it would make a perfect rod for what you're looking for, but just the blank and the guides you mentioned, would put you over your partners budget. But would it put you over yours? lol Just kidding, kind of.

Anyhow, I personally would be looking for a shaky head type rod for dragging a drop shot. Medium power, fast action. I personally wouldn't want the soft tip of a drop shot blank. Not for the type of fishing you're doing with a drop shot rig.

Date: September 24, 2021 09:41PM

Mr Baylor you are not wrong. Yes that that is how we fish a drop shot a lot of the time. There are times when we do it more traditional but for the most part we make longer casts and work it in place a bit, lift or drag, work it, repeat. Bringing it by or down past the target. There are also times when we do use a shakey head and finesse/ micro jigs. So its really a over all finesse oriented deep water(30ft ish) bottom contact spinning rod, but 80% of the time rigged up as like a drop shot. 1/8-1/4oz without plastic. I have these 1/4oz thin wire micro jigs I sometimes throw, and 1/4oz shakey heads on occasion also. Now we do usually target specific fish or groups of fish( live scope is amazing), but yes we also search cast after we’ve busted up a school. I get what your saying though. I need to be also looking at shakey head and light jig rods also. I didn’t even consider that and will expand my search to include them.

I’m still new at all this custom stuff and I keep forgetting that the blank doesn’t care if it’s casting or spinning. So the blank you built seems like a premium version of one I was considering. The imms72ml but as a medium. I’m still pushing him to up his budget some and will research the eternity 7’2” medium more. I really wish there was a way to handle the blanks before purchasing but oh well. That’s part of what makes this fun right? I appreciate your and everyone else’s advice as I was about to settle on the fan favorite. I’ll do some more researching and add what I find. Just a thought, I have a custom kistler helium 3 medium fast 7’1” casting rod with a nfc blank that I really like other than how it’s built. I don’t know which nfc blank it is, but if I could find it in a 7’6 and trim it 2” off the butt, it would work well as a heavier spinning rod for what we do. A 7’6” medium light fast I think would be perfect in that blank, after removing 2” off the butt. There are so many ideas I’m getting overwhelmed lol. Let me know what you think.

Date: September 25, 2021 01:01PM

Joshua, I think you are on the right track as far as looking at things with a broader scope. More the presentation, than the actual technique you're presenting. I too fish tournaments, and because of that I lean towards more powerful rods than others might for the same kind of fishing. I also only use braided line when I feel I absolutely have to. For me that's pretty much just when fishing very heavy cover. Ether fishing a hollow bodied frog, or penetrating heavy weeds or dense woody cover. Otherwise, other than for top water baits, I'm a fluorocarbon guy. Fluorocarbon stretches, which is another reason I opt for more powerful rods. I want the power of the rod to make up for the hook set energy, lost to line stretch.

I hear and read a lot of people say that you can use less powerful rods if you use braid. I both agree and disagree with that line of thinking. It's true that you don't lose hook set energy to line stretch with braid, but braid doesn't make a rod more powerful when you're fighting a fish. I also hear and read that a person should back off on their drag settings when using braid. I don't agree with that at all. IMO, the time for the drag to slip is when fighting a fish, not on the hook set. I hear a lot about how a big hook set makes a bigger hole in the fish's mouth. How do we know that for sure? Because when we bring some fish in, the hook just drops out of a big hole in the fish's mouth? Is that proof the big hole happened on the hook set? Is it at all possible that that big hole happened while pulling the fish out of heavy cover, or the hole grew while actually fighting the fish? I think a lot of people over estimate the amount of power they generate on a hook set. Anyhow .... I am getting off topic.

As far as your saying you wish there was a way to handle the blanks before purchasing them goes ......... there kind of is. But it depends on if CCS numbers are provided for the blank. CCS IP and AA numbers, if you are familiar how they relate to rod power and action, will give you a good idea of how the blank will perform. But you have to have something to compare it to. I did CCS tests on some of the factory rods I used to have, that I really liked, and that gave me an idea of what a blank with similar numbers would feel like. The sad thing is, few manufacturers provide CCS numbers. Rainshadow provides CCS numbers for their new RX10 Eternity blanks. And those numbers are the reason I went with the ETEC72M blank. I knew from experience with similar CCS numbers of rods I own, that it would be exactly what I was looking for. And it was.

So with the latter just said ..... The RX10 Eternity line up has a ETES 72ML blank ...... if, and it's a BIG IF, but if the CCS numbers for the IMMS72ML are in line with the RX10 Eternity 72ML, I don't think you'd be happy with it for the type of fishing you're doing. IMO it would be too light in power. In the Eternity line up they also have an ETES72M blank, going by the CCS numbers Rainshadow provided, if the IMMS72M blank has the same CCS numbers, it would be IMO, a better choice for the type of fishing you're doing.

I need you to understand this though. I am simply going by the numbers provided for the RX10 Eternity blanks. If the numbers for the corresponding Immortal blanks aren't the same, that changes everything

Date: September 25, 2021 02:38PM

David Baylor I agree with your thoughts on braid and drag settings. I only use braid (12-15lb) on my spinning rods as it does help with hook sets. I do use a 6-8lb flouro leader around 6ft long though so there is some small stretch. I think the braid does make the rod seem more powerful in certain situations but that’s just me. For instance my kistler helium 4 power casting rod is my favorite production rod for bottom contact baits here, however I hated it with 30lb braid and leader. I’d bend hooks and break off alot as it was a bit too powerful for my jigs and hook sets. I switched to 12lb flourocarbon and fell in love with it. The extra stretch saves my lighter wire jigs and makes the rod seem softer even tho it isn’t. It’s nice not tiring leaders in a tournament too lol.

As for the drag on spinning rods I don’t back it down for the braid at first. I know how far to loosen my drag on good fish so I always keep it tight for hook sets and then start loosening it if needed. Most of the time they they hook them self’s though. As I said my dobyns extreme 742 was my main spinning rod and it has the perfect action for how I fish. Sadly I broke it last week. But for the price I feel it is a bit heavy and less sensitive than other similar priced production rods, which led me to building these rods I want.

I’m reading up on the ccs numbers now. I wish I could of got the numbers for my dobyns before it broke.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 26, 2021 01:02PM

i,m not so sure that flouro has much stretch but with it,s larger. diameter it does not cut through the water like braid so that you have more belly in the line than with braid..the larger belly gives the impression of more stretch. i use braid but with glass rods to get the softness and fish fighting nature of glass but still the sensetivity of braid..beware, the line may cost more than to build the rod..lol..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2021 01:49PM by ben belote.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: September 27, 2021 02:19AM

Joshua Caldwell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mr Baylor you are not wrong. Yes that that is how
> we fish a drop shot a lot of the time. There are
> times when we do it more traditional but for the
> most part we make longer casts and work it in
> place a bit, lift or drag, work it, repeat.
> Bringing it by or down past the target. There are
> also times when we do use a shakey head and
> finesse/ micro jigs. So its really a over all
> finesse oriented deep water(30ft ish) bottom
> contact spinning rod, but 80% of the time rigged
> up as like a drop shot. 1/8-1/4oz without plastic.
> I have these 1/4oz thin wire micro jigs I
> sometimes throw, and 1/4oz shakey heads on
> occasion also. Now we do usually target specific
> fish or groups of fish( live scope is amazing),
> but yes we also search cast after we’ve busted
> up a school. I get what your saying though. I need
> to be also looking at shakey head and light jig
> rods also. I didn’t even consider that and will
> expand my search to include them.
>
> I’m still new at all this custom stuff and I
> keep forgetting that the blank doesn’t care if
> it’s casting or spinning. So the blank you built
> seems like a premium version of one I was
> considering. The imms72ml but as a medium. I’m
> still pushing him to up his budget some and will
> research the eternity 7’2” medium more. I
> really wish there was a way to handle the blanks
> before purchasing but oh well. That’s part of
> what makes this fun right? I appreciate your and
> everyone else’s advice as I was about to settle
> on the fan favorite. I’ll do some more
> researching and add what I find. Just a thought, I
> have a custom kistler helium 3 medium fast
> 7’1” casting rod with a nfc blank that I
> really like other than how it’s built. I
> don’t know which nfc blank it is, but if I could
> find it in a 7’6 and trim it 2” off the butt,
> it would work well as a heavier spinning rod for
> what we do. A 7’6” medium light fast I think
> would be perfect in that blank, after removing
> 2” off the butt. There are so many ideas I’m
> getting overwhelmed lol. Let me know what you
> think.

If you like the custom Kistler blank but not the build, then strip it and rebuild it to your liking.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster