I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drop shot rod blank
Posted by: Joshua Caldwell (107.117.200.---)
Date: September 22, 2021 11:53AM

Hey guys I got more beginner questions. This will be a long read lol. I’ve finished all my bass rod builds for the moment, and my co angler is really liking what I’m doing and wants a few made. I had to explain to him that I’m using premium components for mine and it would be around $300 in hmm just parts. He was shocked lol. He asked if I could assemble something more budget friendly but still out perform his production rods (bass x, dobyns champ, phenix feather). My only experience with high quality builds is on point blanks and an nfc blank but they are out of his price range. I’m thinking that if I use a more budget friendly blank, but keep the higher quality guidetrain I can get the most out of a decent blank vs a premium blank with mediocre components. Since we both want better drop shot rods first, I’ll probably build one as if it was mine and let him try it. I’ll keep it and adjust fire if he doesn’t.

I’ve been reading on here for days and have found several builds on different blanks that people love but a lot are from years past.
So my question is about what current sub $100(perferably $75ish) blanks perform above their price for what Im building. Here is my list of requirements and recommended blanks I have so far. If anyone has other blanks or component ideas please recommend.

Drop shot rod requirments- 7ft to 7’4”, 1/8- 1/4 weight (3/16 is our standard), soft tip with good backbone for deep water hooksets, tough blank (we tournament fish, he’s rough on rods), Able to handle light wire 1/4oz shakey heads. Our local lake has smallmouth and largemouth up to 6lbs and is deep, usually fishing in 10-30ft of water. We do not video game, but make long casts and work small 2.8 swimbaits or 4.5” worms back to the boat.
12-15lb braid to flourocarbon leader.

Here’s what blanks I’ve found or been recommended so far-
-Liberty ds700-USA, 7ft xtra fast, 1/16 - 5/16
-Liberty ds760-USA 7’6” xtra fast 1/16 - 5/16– (cut 2” off the butt?)
-rainshadow revilation revs610mlxf-sb—(only 6’10”)
-rainshadow revilation revs610mxf-sb—-( only 6’10”)
-rainshadow immortal imms72ml-tc— (top of price range)
-phenix feather B-FTX-S 71M 7’1”—-(special order)
-American Tackle Bushido Drop Shot DS69/4-10—-(fan favorite?)

These are just what I’ve found so far, however I’ve never used any of these blanks. The bushido seems like a favorite among builders along with the rainshadows. The phenix feather seems interesting but that is what he’s using now for drop shot and he wants more. I called getbit about the liberty ds700 and the person recommended it over the others and it’s priced right too.

For components I’d like to keep it simple and function based. No pretty wraps or extra bling. Split grip small cork with Fuji ips 16 or 17seat or apex g2 up locking. Most likely microwave tion nanolite guides (are these titainium or coated stainless?). I’m interested in trying a Tennessee style split grip with cork & tape but I’m curious about sensitivity vs real reel seat. Anyways let me know if I’m leaving out any good blanks. These forums have helped me so much I appreciate any feedback!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drop shot rod blank
Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 22, 2021 03:18PM

I agree with Jeffrey (posted in the duplicate thread), the AT Bushido is a premium blank at a decent price point.

As an FYI, AT also has an extra-fast action spinner-bait blank that would probably do very well also (Bushido 6'9" Spinner Bait 6-10 lb.) - especially with the small swimbaits you mentioned.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster