I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Got the new build started
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 21, 2021 03:57PM

I received my CYS Affinity X blank a couple weeks back. It's an 8 weight, 9 foot blank. One of the sections had a manufacture defect, and I sent it back to CTS at the end of last week. I hope to get the replacement section back soon. I got my cork handle, reel seat, fighting butt, and snake guides through the mail yesterday. I'm using black, REC titanium snake guides, and a black Fuji stripping guide, with a black AT tip top, and folding hook keeper. I started on the build today. It took me about 2 hours to ream the cork handle to fit the blank perfectly. I now have the fighting butt, reel seat, and handle glued in place, and UV40 cork seal applied to all of the cork.. Next, I'll be using tip top hot melt glue to put on the tip top, followed by putting on the winding check, ad hook keeper, So far, the build is clean, and immaculate. I plan on this being my best rod yet, though all of the builds have been meticulously done. I'll be using white, silk wrapping thread to make transparent wraps. I made a test wrap on a piece of rod blank that can't be used for anything, and covered the wrap with Gen 4. It turned beautifully transparent.

Anyone have any tips for making this the best casing, most powerful, and sensitive fly rod possible? Also, anyone know where I can get a 22 year old replacement body for this 65 year old one? LOL.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Got the new build started
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 22, 2021 06:31AM

Wole up at 2 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep. Laid down thread wraps before the winding check to make a smooth transiting, and waterproof the end. Put on the hook keeper as well. Put on the Gem 4 first coat, and all turned transparent, as I'd hoped it would. So far, so good.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 22, 2021 07:31AM

I wouldn't use a folding keeper on anything, too prone to fail and unhandy to have to fool with them to get a hook into them. On fly rods I don't use any keeper, just take the leader around the butt/reel and fasten it into the frame of the first guide. That way the leader/line knot is not going through the guides and it's very handy.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 22, 2021 12:16PM

I'm like Michael, never use a keeper on my rods and only one my many customers wants one.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 22, 2021 03:28PM

Robert,

I also use the fold-down hookkeeper. If the end-user doesn't use it, he can keep it folded down out of the way. I have them on all of my personal builds.

BTW - I'd gladly trade my 70+ body for a 65 in good shape - going in for Angioplasty Friday morning...

Rich Bowers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster