I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hypalon vs EVA
Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 20, 2021 06:21PM

I was distant from our hobby/industry for a few years, but did anyone complain that Hypalon for available in place of BRICK HARD EVA was a reasonable
substitute? total different process to fit grips!! Now I have to find a solution for a partially installed new EVA GRIP!! Any help?

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hypalon vs EVA
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2021 07:36PM

Hypalon is very durable but somewhat soft compared to even the average EVA grip firmness. It's also quite heavy, compared. Just depends on the rod type and usage you plan.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 20, 2021 11:41PM

Batson calls their hypalon substitute, Battlelon EPSM. More ecologically friendly to make.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2021 07:21AM

In regard to the partially installed grip, there isn't much you can do other than cut it off and start again. Hopefully it slid far enough that you do not need to clean dried adhesive off of the blank.

If you tie some heavy braided line to a couple sections of dowel rod, you will have a 'saw' that will cut through the EVA and not damage the blank underneath.

When it comes to EVA, the ID will stretch to about 1.25-1.5 times the original ID when sliding into place. You can either choose an appropriate sized ID or ream to fit. Personally, I ream to fit. As a hobby builder, it provides a chance to work on technique and allows me to keep some materials on hand. Since I like to dry fit all of my grips to be sure that I'm happy with the dimensions before final glue up, I usually ream until I can make the dry fit happen. Otherwise, ream until you can get the grip within several inches of its final position, and you will be good to go.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: September 21, 2021 04:33PM

CRB's XHD Hypalon has been available for a few years - Its very similar to the Hypalon of years past

Straight Grips: [mudhole.com]
Foregrips: [mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 22, 2021 07:13PM

For my heavy saltwater rods, I prefer Hypalon for its durability. Eva will retain dents while Hypalon will generally not retain dents.

Posted by: Chris Morilla (---)
Date: September 26, 2021 04:43PM

Is hypalon shaped the same way as EVA? I remember reading somewhere that it doesn’t take to sanding like EVA does.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 27, 2021 03:24PM

I sand hypalon all the time. Not much different than EVA which is somewhat firmer. I use drywall sanding screens and finish off with fine sandpaper to get a smooth finish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster