I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

AT Nano Plasma vs Silicone Carbide Guides
Posted by: George Klisiewecz (---)
Date: September 20, 2021 12:18PM

Could someone tell me the difference between these two guide materials. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: AT Nano Plasma vs Silicone Carbide Guides
Posted by: Grant Darby (63.225.164.---)
Date: September 20, 2021 03:23PM

I dont think there is a difference. I believe the nano plasma is just a treatment or method if making the silicon carbide particles smaller. But it does sound better than just saying silicon carbide.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.164.---)
Date: September 20, 2021 03:52PM

And I am sure it makes for more soulful cast.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: September 20, 2021 07:12PM

LOL !

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 20, 2021 09:55PM

Plasma is a gas of positively charged ions. You don’t want to run any kind of already manufactured fishing line through plasma. That won’t end in a good outcome. Does the importer of these products state their hardness, strength, strain resistance or reversal properties, (ability to not crack) in quantitative or relative terms that are meaningful?

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: September 21, 2021 10:57AM

Hi George and all.,

Silicon Carbide or SiC, is a ceramic material ring while the NanoPlasma is an American Tackle Nanolite ring option with a plasma deposition.

There are several PVD coatings used to provide coloration including; TiN, TiC, TiCH, TiZrN, TiNc, TiO, TiZN etc. etc. They also provide some added durability and hardness for an improved product beyond the cosmetic aspect, though numbers could vary according the materials used in the process.

These coatings have been around for quite awhile, (drill bits were TiN coated resulting in a gold tips) and in the early ’90s we coated frames and snake guides with TiCH but coloration hues were extremely inconsistent in comparison to standard platings based on where the items were positioned in the chamber during the process. However these PVD options provided a unique durable cosmetically desirable finish. In fact we used a TiC finish option (removing the Hydrogen which darkens the hue) to offer GLoomis a truly unique proprietary consistent bright titanium upscale guide option for their GLX rod series. At the time we were slightly skeptical about coating ceramics, so Bill Ashby, Bob Batson and I sent TiN, TiC, and polished rings (SiC, Zirc etc.) to a lab to be tested for hardness and abrasion resistance. We verified that it is true hardness can be enhanced and as far as abrasion resistance, we found that the highly polished ceramics provide an incredibly smooth surface while the porosity in the ceramics aid in adhesion keeping friction and wear to a minimum. That said eventually the finish will wear, which I don’t remember the amount of cycle counts required and the lab wasn’t even completely sure either since the metallic appearance makes it extremely difficult to even identify initial wear. Later American Tackle did additional lab testing using newer improved finish and ceramic options to find the perfect combination for function and durability resulting in our offerings of NanoPlasma rings in addition to the traditional PVD coated Zirconia rings.

I hope this answers your question but if not let me know.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: September 21, 2021 06:36PM

The hardest guide will best resist grooving/abrasion. There is a scientific hardness scale, although I have not yet seen the hardness of any particular guides advertised or revealed. It may be rod builders are not interested in such physical information.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 21, 2021 11:09PM

The hardest substance I can find that could ever he expected to become attached to fishing line is the silicon dioxide components of diatomaceous algae. This rates a 7 on the Moh scale and about 1200 on the Vickers. That is a fairly hard abrasive paste when imbedded in braided line. Common aluminum oxide used in quality, but value priced ceramic guides ranks a 9 on the Moh scale and 2600 on the Vickers. It’s so hard that it is actually sold as an abrasive. Salt crystals only rank 2-2.5 on the Moh scale.

For me, higher priced ceramic guide materials have to be about more than hardness to justify their purchase. I’m much more interested in measures of strength and resistance to fracturing than a thin coating added to something that is already far more than hard enough. Extra strength can have functional payoffs by allowing for thinner and lighter rings, and rings that are less likely to break in use and later require a repair. From what I have been able to research, it seems like the silicon nitride class of ceramics, like what is reportedly used in Fuji Torzite and obviously in SeaGuide, uh, Silicon Nitride guides has the best strength properties. Rocket engine builders seem to agree. Trade names, with no accepted industrial names divulged, can’t have their strength properties verified without some kind of destructive testing being published. Some material names, such as “Zirconia” (not to be confused with zirconium) can have widely varying properties. These products might be harder than aluminum oxide, they might not be. Strength might vary a lot, as well.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 22, 2021 07:01AM

I did some research. Plasma deposition when used with oxygen at particular frequencies, and wattage, deposited more uniform coatings of desired material to the silicone wafers, and E-glass fibers, increasing the shear strength of both,m as well as increasing the hardness, and reducing friction.. Plasma deposition allowed the testers to change the thickness of the Nano coating by varying frequency, and power of the plasma. It created a uniform coating of nano particles that was far superior to liquid deposition, and other methods.. I believe ceramic nano-particles were deposited into the resin to get the desired results.

There are available scientific reports available online that show the testing done, and how it was done.

In summary, nano-plasma deposition is shown to increase the hardness, and reduce friction of anything placed within the plasma.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 24, 2021 12:12PM

Phil, the hardness of the various ring materials has been published by guide makers for years.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 24, 2021 02:46PM

Hello Phil.

Look in the new 20th anniversary master catalog on page181 and you will see a Vickers Hardness Chart for guide rings (It's a bar graph, you can read a bar graph right?).

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: September 27, 2021 09:04AM

Thanks, Bob. I haven't had any luck searching for "20th anniversary master catalog". When I do I find the facts I will certainly ignore the opinions. I certainly wouldn't insult those who would rather trade opinions than find facts. Funny how guide manufacturers and advertisers ignore these facts in their ads. Perhaps their research shows average anglers can't comprehend them, or just don't care?

Date: September 27, 2021 10:28AM

Hello Phil.

Sorry the catalog is from Batson.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: September 27, 2021 11:20AM

Batson catalog states one of its guide models is "20% harder than our competitors' rings" but provides no further information I could find?

Date: September 27, 2021 12:28PM

Hello Phil.

Look in the new Batson 20th anniversary master catalog on PAGE "181" and you will see a Vickers Hardness Chart for guide rings (It's a bar graph, you can read a bar graph right?).

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 27, 2021 06:53PM

Thanks, Robert. Silicon carbide apparently has a significant advantage in hardness over all other available guide ring materials. Are there any significant practical disadvantages (besides cost) to silicon carbide guides? It's nice to deal with physical facts rather than ad-speak.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2021 08:44AM by Phil Ewanicki.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster