I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Black Nickel Snake Brand Guides-Saltwater?
Posted by: Tim Reichheld (---)
Date: September 19, 2021 11:17AM

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone in this forum has experience using snake brand black nickel guides on rods for saltwater and what the disadvantages are or if anyone has experiences with rust as I have seen some conflicting information.

I recently built an epic 10wt bandit that had the black nickel guides and they are stunning. I want to use them for a new build as well. Epic says:
“ all our Carbon fibre rods have Titanium strippers and black nickel snake guides (about as saltwater proof as is possible)“
Source: [swiftflyfishing.reamaze.com]

And Snake Brands results from their salt fog tests had good results for the black nickel guides as well:
[www.snakeguides.com]

However, on the snake brand website it says black nickel not recommended for saltwater use.
[store.snakeguides.com]

Does anyone know why/have heard of issues?

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Black Nickel Snake Brand Guides-Saltwater?
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: September 19, 2021 01:36PM

Call Mike McCoy and ask him why his web site does not recommend the black snakes for the salt. Mike's a super nice guy you will enjoy talking to.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: September 19, 2021 02:55PM

A wise angler will thoroughly rinse his rod, reel, line, and flies in fresh water immediately after EVERY use in salt water. I have followed this rule religiously and have fly rods built with ordinary guides used mostly in salt water for the last 20 years that are as good as ever. Trouble is, just one omission of the rinse and corrosion will occur and it can't be reversed or concealed.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 19, 2021 07:15PM

Both Donald and Phil are, IMHO, offering good advice here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster