I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spalted maple for grips
Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: September 18, 2021 08:01PM

Does anyone have experience using stabilized spalted maple for a grip? Have customer that thinks he wants it for a catfish rod - so a 10-12” grip with a 6-7” foregrip.

Wondering about weight (though it would be in a blank with a butt likely around 3-4” give or take, so not but much of it left… which makes me worry about drilling / reaming such a length.

I’ve seen it used (I think) as accent pieces or maybe a fly rod grip - but not at that size….. and wondering what sources there are and if it’s even obtainable in 12” lengths stabilized

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spalted maple for grips
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 18, 2021 08:52PM

Try one ofteh RB sponsors that in grips, such as - [www.customflygrips.info], Contact them with what you are looking for.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2021 09:17PM

You can always core it to reduce weight by a truly significant amount: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 18, 2021 10:15PM

Michael,
With a catfish rod, they are typically very tip heavy. So, a heavy maple butt will do a nice job to balance out the rod. I know that most of the folks who cat fish around here, hardly every hold their rod. They put out the line and then put the rod in a rod holder until they get a bite.

A well built maple grip will really be a thing of beauty.

Take care

Posted by: Daniel Grundvig (---)
Date: September 19, 2021 10:58AM

you see a lot of stabilized spalted maple blocks available on @#$%&. Most are for knife scales but I'm sure one of the dealers can hook you up.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 19, 2021 12:35PM

Snake Brand has some stabilized Spalted Maple fly reel inserts, and they are gorgeous!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 20, 2021 12:04PM

As the stabilized wood is even heavier, it would very good to core it as Tom mentions! This will reduce the weight by about half. I build a lot of custom wood grips for fly rods and my preference would be for unstabilized wood, as it is lighter and not as hard to the touch.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 20, 2021 11:32PM

I wonder if UV40 cork seal would protect unsterilized wood handles/inserts.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: September 21, 2021 12:42PM

Thanks all. Looks like he wants to go burled cork due to the costs involved. But I’m going to tuck this away for a project myself …

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster