I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC SJ736
Posted by: Ernie Blum (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 17, 2021 01:26PM

Hey Guys,

I got a comment in the past about the NFC SJ736 blank. At the time I was putting together an SJ703 for inshore salt water, and everyone who chimed in thought that that blank was a little light for that use. Someone suggested the SJ736 was likely a better choice. I pretty much fish lures in weights of 1/4 to perhaps 3/4, so I'm not looking for a tuna rod, but I just want enough backbone for average redfish, snook and sea trout. Does anyone have any history with the SJ736?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC SJ736
Posted by: Joel Babin (98.39.46.---)
Date: September 17, 2021 01:58PM

I'm fairly certain the SJ703's intended purpose is coastal fishing for trout and redfish. Someone measured the blank to "440 grams of power or ERN a little over 16 AA 69"... which to me puts it right in the wheel house of trout fishing with reds and snook in the mix. I grew up fishing the Louisiana coastal waters for trout and redfish and the SJ736 would be way too powerful for that purpose in my mind.

One of my favorite production coastal rods is actually a 6'-6" GLoomis 782... That's a 2 powered moderate action rod and it handles some serious redfishing in the coastal marsh with topwaters or jighead/plastics. I've also seen recommendations for the NFC P703 and P704... both classic remakes for coastal fishing.

In many of the comments I've seen relating to the SJ703 being disappointing is from bass fishermen thinking this blank is some type of heavy cover blank due to it's stated lure rating. Many were thinking this could have been a jig blank, which is definitely not it's intended purpose. Texas coastal anglers do a lot wade fishing and prefer a limber rod with some backbone for landing trout. Many of the production rods from companies like Waterloo have lure ratings up to 3/4oz, but they are buggy whips.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (---.69.32.247.158.ip.kansas.net)
Date: September 17, 2021 03:08PM

I have built many SJ736 and a few 703's. The 736 outpowers the 703 by quite a bit. I built them for bass so my only comparison is that the SJ703 is on the light end of finesse and the SJ736 is a pretty stout plastic/jig rod. In other words, the SJ736 is overpowered for coastal reds IMO.

I love the 703 for 1/10oz ned rigs and weightless presentations that don't require the hook to penetrate the plastics for the hookset. I am in a small category though because I love to catch bass on UL. Most of the clients I see ask for rods like the MB736 for finesse rods. Youtube has made boat flipping cool.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.84.---)
Date: September 17, 2021 04:55PM

I'm looking for the same type of blank Ernie is in the 8 foot length for inshore saltwater . I want to try an XRAY because I'm building it for ultimate sensitivity and the XRAY's are highly praised for their inherent sensitivity . NFC said they were expanding blank choices in the XRAY line over a year ago but I'm still waiting .

Date: September 17, 2021 06:18PM

Thank you all for your replies. The way I look at it, you saved me a huge headache and disappointment as I was ready to order the SJ736s. A little heavier over the SJ703 would have been fine, but the way you guys describe it, it is likely not for me.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: September 17, 2021 06:40PM

Ernie, I’m the one who felt the SJ703 wouldn’t do for snook. But when I fished for snook the fish were below dams in heavy current or holding tight to bridge/pier pilings. Plus they were 10-20#+ fish! Sometimes you needed something closer to a tuna rod.

The SJ736 is too much rod for trout. I’d call it a 12-15# class rod (I’d call the SJ703 a 6-10# class). The SJ736 has maybe a little more power than a St. Croix inshore medium power rod which is rated 8-17# IIRC (in case you know that blank or can feel it in a nearby store). Keep in mind mine are the X-ray series.

I’ll have my hands on the NFC P704 within a week. Might be just what you want so I’ll let you know my initial thoughts.

I think the SJ703 is a lovely blank. What are you looking to be different? Am I correct in guessing that you find yourself a little under gunned for snook? I’d think you would be fine for trout. Or maybe it is about casting weight?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: September 17, 2021 06:48PM

Ernie, try the SJ 732. It is a bit more powerful and a tad slower in action than the SJ 703 (despite what the web listed ratings are).

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: September 17, 2021 10:07PM

Thanks Russ. I just looked at the specs for the MB736-1. Are you familiar at all with this blank? Might this be a decent redfish blank?

Date: September 17, 2021 11:31PM

I don't have the MB 736 (the only MB series I have is MB 7109). From what I have heard from others it is a little less powerful than the SJ 736. So I would say it too is more rod than you desire assuming you just want a little bump up from the SJ 703. The SJ 732 is a pretty decent jump in power. More than I'd say one would "need" for trout but my trout are small, like 2# max, I'd say it is right for a 5# snook but starting to get iffy for a 10# snook in tight cover.

You aren't saying what is wrong with the SJ 703 but I'm assuming you want something just a "little" more powerful and the SJ 732 fits that bill. It isn't a big increase but it is noticeable. If I called the 703 a light power I'd call the 732 a medium light, as in the next step up.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: September 18, 2021 08:47AM

Thanks Russ. To be honest with you, I was very happy with the SJ703 (which I actually haven't finished completely yet) until I got enough feedback about how wimpy it might be for average redfishing. It's probably more mind over matter than reality. So I thought I'd look for a little bump up just as you suggested. The specs on the SJ732 don't look promising on paper, although you have suggested several times that it is in fact a step up. I love the NFC blanks, but they don't do a very good job describing their uses very well as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: David Wilson (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: September 28, 2021 02:43AM

IMO the SJ 703 is the best speckled trout blank out there. I have caught plenty of reds on it as well but would not purposely chase reds with it. I think the MB 736 is perfect for reds if targeting them specifically. Seems silly to me to call one rod a speck and red rod as reds fight so hard with a really tough mouth. With that said, if chasing both with one rod I would go with the SJ 703.. the MB 736 is way to much for a soft yellow mouth.. but you know what they say about opinions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster