I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rain shadow RX10 blanks
Posted by: Fred Kneipp (146.86.128.---)
Date: September 17, 2021 09:31AM

Has anyone built a rod using a new Rainshadow RX10 blank? Any opinions about this blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rain shadow RX10 blanks
Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 17, 2021 11:51AM

Disclaimer: I work at Batson so my opinion may be a bit biased.
But, I have actually fished most of the models now. I've been swiping the show rods two at a time from Bill's office and taking them to my local bass lake. Is there specific input you were seeking? I'll try to give you my honest opinions as an angler...

-Geoff at Batson

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 17, 2021 03:30PM

I recently finished (and fished) an ETES72MSS, a 7 foot 2 in spin blank. It feels and fishes like a premium blank. Fortunately I was able to try it on a number of very nice smallmouths. I repeatedly tested it and found the CCS numbers to be a little higher on power than than published and significantly higher on AA-I really don't think this is a 75 degree blank. Based on my experience it is light for its power. I used the Fuji KLH setup KLH16-8-5.5M with two titanium KB4's and 4 titanium KT4's topped with an Arowana SIC tiptop. It is typical of an extra fast action in being able to comfortably and easily cast a wide range of lure weights, going well below its rated 1/4 low end. I'm using 15 pound test braid on it. I wonder if Rainshadow intended to replicate the proportions of the Point Blank series because this blank is quite close. I hope I don't have to find out whether it is as tough as Point Blanks, which are very tough based on one abusive incident I had with one. It will be one of my favorite rods.

Posted by: Zachary guyach (---)
Date: September 17, 2021 04:35PM

Any reason why Batson hasn't put any info about these on the rainshadow website?

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.84.---)
Date: September 17, 2021 04:48PM

I'd be interested in trying out the new RX10's but Batson never seems to offer the blanks I would be interested in , in the 8 foot length unless I'm mistaken . Everything I see maxes out at 7'6" at least in the models I'm interested in, (Inshore saltwater). There is a HUGE difference in feel and performance between the 7'6" and 8 foot lengths . Every blank I have built in the 7'6" length just does not work for me the 8 footers work fantastic.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 17, 2021 07:00PM

I've built on one of the new RX10 blanks. I built a spinning rod using the ETEC72M blank. I built the rod for throwing tubes for smallmouth bass. I did a little write up about the rod in an earlier thread on this site. This is a link to that post in the thread [www.rodbuilding.org]

I built the rod with a split rear grip, a Forecast skeleton reel seat, and Fuji T2 titanium guides.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: September 17, 2021 07:21PM

The new 2022 catalog supplement has the info

[batsonenterprises.com]

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: September 17, 2021 07:29PM

Bill spoke to this based on a question asked in today’s BlankTalk. He indicated that given these are very sensitive blanks, the techniques fished with them tend to be done with shorter blanks. He didn’t rule out a 7-10 (they’ve moved the 8’ to 7-10 due to shipping cost issues). Let them hear your applications and demand…. I’m sure it’s all a matter of business case of how much quantity of that specific blank would be sold

Date: September 17, 2021 08:56PM

I completely forgot about the shipping cost factor for 8 foot blanks that's a very good point. I think a 7'10" RX 10 would work for me . I contacted Batson a while back and asked about why their inshore higher modulus blanks max out at 7'6" and if they ever considered upping the lure weight rating to like 1/2 - 2 or 3/4 - 3 ounce and they said they don't think they would sell many in those ratings . Fair enough

I'm extremely familiar with the St. Croix inshore saltwater blanks in the M and MH power ratings with lure weight ranges in the 1/2 - 2 ounce or 3/4 - 3 ounce ratings and I never found any Batson blanks over 7'6" in length with those heavier lure ratings . If they decide to come out with a 7'10" length RX 10 I'll jump on it and give it a whirl .

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: September 17, 2021 11:44PM

Chris, I don't have one but from everything I have read I think you might want to look at the Suzuki (black hole 801L). 8 foot, 1/2 to 2 ounce, 10-20#, 3.2 ounce weight. Supposedly with some serious balls. Could be right up your alley.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: September 18, 2021 05:35AM

Thanks Russ , I'm very familiar with the Black Hole rods and I'm just not a fan . Appreciate the thought though.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: September 18, 2021 12:08PM

Any RX10 fly rods coming?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 18, 2021 05:25PM

Did you check out the RX10 rods used by the Batson clan on their snook trip? Lots of Batson info on their blank talk vids on Youtube.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster