I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank pricing
Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: September 16, 2021 06:10PM

I am curious about the (few) companies that price their blanks at a certain level all the same, from a 7' 3 weight to a 9'6" 6 weight. At other blank companies the longer and heavier blanks can cost twice as much. I am assuming that material cost is the most important consideration, given that perfectly well made blanks can be bought for 30 bucks. My guess would be that certain brands can get away with this pricing model because of perceived prestige. Can anyone shine some light on these pricing practices?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank pricing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2021 06:14PM

No, labor is the greatest cost in blank production. And some materials require more care and effort to work with. But the material is almost never the primary cost in any product.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 16, 2021 06:57PM

Not all companies use the best materials they can find, others don't, or can't. Using a 40 year old graphite and resin system is simply cheaper and easier to get than the upper end stuff. We are also low man on the totem pole, companies will sell large orders to bigger clients before the rod companies that buy very little by comparison.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: September 16, 2021 07:26PM

There is also a demand issue. My guess, and it's only a guess, is 1, 2, & 3 weights enjoy less demand that 4, 5, & 6. Got no idea why a 12 weight ought cost more than a 7, 8, or 9. Just proves that marketing types do strange and mysterious things.

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: September 16, 2021 08:39PM

So does it cost twice as much in labor to make a longer, more stout rod out of the same material? I get that things are priced by what people will pay for them, but it does not intuitively make sense that people would pay more for heavier power rods than lighter power rods. I would think in most blanks the middle area would attract the most buyers. Maybe I am trying to understand something that is simply looked at differently by different companies.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 16, 2021 09:23PM

You know Peter that at the end of the day, questions and answers really change nothing.

If you wish to buy a particular blank you pay the price for the blank. It matters not, what the labor cost is, the materials cost, the overhead. Remember, when there is a big building with a lot of workers there are taxes insurance, liability protection, building maintenance, health insurance etc. etc. etc.

Now, if you go overseas, where folks get paid pennies per hour to work with no benefits, no health insurance, no paid vacation, and a lower cost of living the finished product costs much less to produce - compared to production in a more expensive country with more expensive everything.

Take care

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 17, 2021 09:16AM

Prices are determined by what customers are willing to pay. If they are not willing to pay a price on which a company can make the profit it wants then the company does not offer that product. The price a company is willing to take can depend on the overall company strategy, as in sometimes offering a product at a price which produces no or negative profit in order to support the overrall company strategy.

The customer's decision is based not only on the one product, but on alternative products as well.

Messy, but it works.

Roger has it right. you determine whether the product you want is offered at a price you are willing to pay. Trying to determine all the aspects of pricing is impossible and accomplishes nothing.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 17, 2021 09:44AM

The best indicator of a rod or rod blank's price is not its performance - it's the advertising budget.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 17, 2021 10:06AM

rod builders are not just builders of rods but often the builders of rod building tools also and probably the biggest competitor for the commercial tool makers..

Date: September 17, 2021 04:10PM

Phil, and we have no way of knowing the size of the ad budget either.

By the way, I'd really like to try a "soulful" rod and have not been able to find one. Can you tell me where you buy yours? Brand? etc? thanks

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: September 19, 2021 09:38AM

Michael: I believe advertisements for "soulful" rods were discontinued a few years ago,. Why? I don't know. Maybe religious objections.

Date: September 20, 2021 11:37AM

Rats! Big disappointment.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 21, 2021 04:12AM

There are lots of strategies for pricing discretionary types of items. I heard what I considered a reliable report years ago about a person affiliated with Sage going ballistic on one of the managers at St. Croix for building high performing, high specification fly rods without adding prestige pricing. I had seen fairly similar behavior at a trade show a few months earlier. The story went that St. Croix’s disruption to the price/performance ratio would damage the entire industry. The business model being defended had lots of promotional and R&D costs for a relatively small volume of rods. They could make it back along with a good profit margin if no competitors broke ranks and consumer expectations continually increased.

Discretionary items are imported from the same countries and sometimes even the same factories with very different pricing strategies. Recreational and branded items aren’t priced by supply and demand dynamics as are basic commodities. Perception and attempts at differentiation often greatly influence what people will pay verses what products cost companies to produce and distribute. Black, spandex clothing items from China can cost under $10 or well-exceed $200. They are the same fabric with the shape being determined by the wearer.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 21, 2021 07:10AM

oh no! not spandex too, and graphite rods..i hope e-glass is not next..

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: September 23, 2021 01:41PM

I would be interested to know which expense in a rod blank business is greater: materials, labor, or marketing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2021 01:42PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 23, 2021 06:52PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would be interested to know which expense in a rod blank business is greater: materials, labor,or marketing?

WHY?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster