I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ProKote Resin Gone Bad?
Posted by: Jason Haney (---.mountainresearch.com)
Date: September 14, 2021 09:27AM

The last two times I've tried to mix epoxy to repair/finish rods I've noticed that my ProKote Resin is getting thicker and thicker. It's borderline chunky. I can no longer suck it up into the syringe. It thins out a little bit when mixed with the hardener and a little more so when I put a heat gun to it. The finished product is decent enough, but it's tough to get all of the bubbles out. I never had this problem until I bought some of the "new formula". The hardener is still viscus and easy to work with. I still have half a bottle left and hate to waste it, anyone have any recommendations on how to thin it out? The bottle is probably only a year old, standard stuff purchased from Mudhole. I have all of my stuff in the basement, which is a little on the cool side. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ProKote Resin Gone Bad?
Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 14, 2021 09:49AM

Try heating it in a microwave. I had a kit of the Riley Rods epoxy from years ago. I recently picked it up and found the resin was hardened. I threw it away. Before I trashed the bag, I got the thought of heating it in the microwave. I figured what did I have to lose since I already considered it trash. Turns out it turned back into a liquid and was usable. I mixed up a few batches and it worked fine. Just take it slow. I also slightly warm my finish epoxies in a microwave before mixing and found they mix better, flow better, and release bubbles better.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 14, 2021 10:08AM

Ed,
Ditto.

Brief - is the key word to use with Resin in the microwave.

Brief as in 5-15 seconds.

It takes an extremely brief amount of time to heat the resin sufficiently to eliminate the problem.

Note:
After briefly heating the resin - I let it set for a couple of hours to come back to room temperature.

If one uses the resin when it is too warm, the pot life is extremely short and makes a perfect guide coating almost impossible.

Best wishes

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: September 14, 2021 11:12AM

I use a hair dryer. Epoxy resins have a tenancy to crystallize because of their purity. Warming it up will cause the crystals to melt. You can also use it as is, the heat generated while mixing will also melt the crystals. The epoxy will work just fine.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: September 14, 2021 09:01PM

Jason,
I have bottles of ProKote and other finishes, some of which are well over 2 years old and have not experienced either the resin or hardener thickening or coagulating, and I live in hot LALA Land. While the remedies above MAY make your present product usable, why take the chance of spoiling all your time and effort of thread wrapping. Throw it away or at least request a replacement; any reputable dealer would, at least should, honor such.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 14, 2021 09:50PM

The thickening is due to cold, not heat! Heat in fact will thin it. Some brands are more susceptible to crystalizing then others, it can be corrected by heating it.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: September 14, 2021 09:54PM

Mark, you are wrong, for a cheap SOB I’m completely surprised you would throw away something that is not broken. The epoxy is fine, the Resin has just crystallized, in other words it has changed from the liquid state to a solid state. This process is completely reversible, much like ice to water. I have brought back crystallized Resin with heat for well over 30 years with no epoxy failures. it will work just fine. It is just an attribute of epoxy resins, they can and will crystallize, and fortunately it is completely reversible
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: September 15, 2021 12:32AM

Phil and Norman,
OK, OK, I may need to stand corrected. But even “a cheap SOB” like me is not willing to risk the clean-up and having to redo wraps over a $10 - $20 bottle of finish. At this time of year, it is difficult for me to imagine anywhere in the US cold enough to crystallize resin, even though I live in LALA Land.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 15, 2021 02:01AM

I’ve been de-crystallizing (is this a word?) various types of resins for decades with never a bad result. I simply heat a small pan of water on the range to just below simmering and then immerse the closed resin bottles. You can watch as they magically become clear and liquid. Boat building and repair resins are very expensive. They are stored and used in large quantities. Throwing these products out for an over abundance of caution would be very expensive. I know guys who have built very nice wooden boats with de-crystallized resins and then used them to run the BC/Alaska passages. I once asked Andy Dear about this in regards to rod building. He was absolutely fine with immersion in sub-simmering water. It is an understatement to say that Andy knows rod building epoxies.

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 17, 2021 10:47AM

I fill a pot with hot water from the tap and sit both bottles, resin and hardener, in the water for 10 minutes or so before each use.
The resin often has the solids settle on the bottom and this often needs more attention to get it back to it's original state......I will roll the bottle and heat it again......repeat steps 1 and 2 as many times as necessary.

Posted by: Jason Haney (---.mountainresearch.com)
Date: September 28, 2021 07:39AM

Much appreciated everyone. I'll heat it up (slowly)!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster