I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Arbor foam and carbon fiber grips?
Posted by: Christian Fritz (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: September 11, 2021 04:47PM

I purchased foam cores from NFC to build my own CF grips, but the ID of the foam core is a little bit too big for the rod blanks I"m building on. Any thoughts on how I can arbor the blank without tape? I'm building a euro nymphing rod, so sensitivity is incredibly important (and one reason why I'm using CF grips!), and I fear adding tape arbors would dampen the sensitivity.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Arbor foam and carbon fiber grips?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 11, 2021 05:45PM

The secret to these grips isn't the carbon skin - it's the rigid foam core. But you can salvage what you have by shimming with thread or fine cord. Spiral up the blank, and down again if necessary, smear the thread or cord with epoxy and "screw" the core in place.

You didn't say just how much space you need to take up. If it's more than you can easily fill with a spiral or two of thread or fine cord, I'd consider getting some foam arbors with the correct diameter to fit the blank, and then turn these arbors down to fit the ID of the grip's foam core. That way you effectively have the same material all the way through, just like you'd have if the cores had been supplied with smaller ID to begin with.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 11, 2021 11:08PM

Are the cores bored to 3/8" like the grips?

Posted by: Christian Fritz (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2021 12:05AM

Yes, 3/8th like their grips.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 14, 2021 01:40AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The secret to these grips isn't the carbon skin -
> it's the rigid foam core. But you can salvage what
> you have by shimming with thread or fine cord.
> Spiral up the blank, and down again if necessary,
> smear the thread or cord with epoxy and "screw"
> the core in place.
>
> You didn't say just how much space you need to
> take up. If it's more than you can easily fill
> with a spiral or two of thread or fine cord, I'd
> consider getting some foam arbors with the correct
> diameter to fit the blank, and then turn these
> arbors down to fit the ID of the grip's foam core.
> That way you effectively have the same material
> all the way through, just like you'd have if the
> cores had been supplied with smaller ID to begin
> with.
>
> ................

It is very awkward to disagree with an inventor of a product, but I believe you are selling the importance of the skin short. In any core/skin composite, it is my understanding that both elements impact the entire structure. A third element is also very important. This is the distance between the skins, which in the case of these grips is their inner diameter. The job of the foam-core is mostly to maintain this distance when stresses are applied. In composite boats the skin is often seen as more important than the core. It’s just important that the core keeps the skins a constant distance apart. Even inflatable boats are a skin/core composite with pressurized air forming the core material.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 14, 2021 09:41AM

You can make a foam core grip work without the graphite skin, an example of this in a commercial product is the Pac Bay grips.

Date: September 14, 2021 10:14AM

The importance of the carbon skin is to protect the foam core. It reduces sensitivity, of course, because it adds additional weight. But it was the best thing we could find to protect the core for the least amount of weight added.

The carbon skins used for these grips is not substantial enough to simply be the grip itself - so the core isn't there just to maintain a distance from the blank to the skin - it is the grip. The core is what provides the strength, crush resistance, etc. If you wanted to use the skin as the fundamental grip and have it provide similar strength and crush resistance, you'd have to use a much thicker one, which we found resulted in a grip that was heavier than the foam skinned with the thinnest carbon sleeve. Note the thickness of the carbon Tennessee hands that are centered with arbors or bushings. They're quite heavy compared to the same grip made with a foam core.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 15, 2021 02:31AM

We are articulating this differently but aren’t that far apart. Crush resistance is also maintaining a constant distance between the skin surfaces. The bonding of the skin to the core helps prevent sliding and deflection which adds much more to overall strength than sum of the either the mass or strength of the two materials.

Date: September 15, 2021 09:48AM

We have used these cores without any carbon skins, just paint, and they're fine in most circumstances. The skin or flock, or whatever else you may wish to cover them with doesn't really add to the crush or indent strength of the core.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster