I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice fishing noodle rod
Posted by: David Luttig (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 11, 2021 07:51AM

Any idea where I can find a noodle blank in the 72” range?
Thanks,
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice fishing noodle rod
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 11, 2021 10:04AM

a po[www.extacklestore.com]. It's the only 72minch rod I could find for ice fishing. - Hope that helps.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 11, 2021 10:06AM

Sure,
Take a solid glass blank and chuck it into a spinning chuck. Then, sand down the tip as needed to give you your desired rod.

For example, this Rain Shadow blank from the Salt water series of solid e-glass blanks.

These blanks are very inexpensive but will work very very well for your application.

Model Color Length Pcs Line Lure Butt TipTop Action Power Weight Application
.385"X.105"X72" Gloss Black 6'0" 1 12-20lb. N/A 0.385 7.0 M ML 6.6oz. Multipurpose

Or, if you don't want to sand, just pick up a 6 foot ultra light trout rod and you will be set:

SP720 Clear Gloss 6'0" 1 1-4lb. 1/32-1/8oz. 0.330 4.0 M UL 0.9oz. Ultra Light/Trout/Panfish light jigs and tubes etc.

Best wishes

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: September 11, 2021 02:33PM

Are you sure you really want a 6 foot long noodle rod? It seems like it would be very difficult to control a soft noodle tip on a rod that long for a finesse presentation?

A couple more options besides those mentioned:.

Build a UL tubular rod and put an adjustable/removable spring bobber on it like a St. Croix.

Extend the butt of a 36 to 48" noodle rod using a scrap tubular rod blank.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Posted by: David Luttig (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 11, 2021 02:49PM

Im not a fan of a rod that long and will try to convince him otherwise. But, if that is what he wants then i will build it

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 13, 2021 10:42PM

I don't know if this will work for you or not, but the B'n'M Bream Buster telescoping pole that Bass Pro Shops sells is light and crazy flexible. I have 10 of these in a 10' length I use to teach little kids how to fish. It has 3 sections. We broke the middle section of one on a bass, so I kept the tip which is 34" long and solid glass, and want to try using it for a noodle ice rod on bluegills. As Dan said, you can extend it by running it through a scrap tubular fiberglass blank. I'm going to add about 2' to this tip section. The 10' telescoping rod sells for about $25. Just an option.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 14, 2021 01:40AM

Dan,
During the years, when I was an avid ice fisherman, I started with spring bobbers as well as discrete bobbers, but I hated using both of them.

It was at this time that I began using noodle tipped rods. I simply wish to have the very flexible part of the rod to be part of the rod and not an add on accessory. In particular, I have tended away from graphite rods and nearly all of the rods that I use are now fiberglass.

In short lengths and small sizes - the fiberglass holds up to the tough use of an ice rod - when the same graphite rod ends up breaking.

Best wishes.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 14, 2021 06:45AM

Roger, you just gave the best reasons for using fiberglass rods, not just ice fishing..lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster