I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

6 1/2' 2wt fly rod guides
Posted by: James Munro (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 11, 2021 06:48AM

Hi,

New member and it has been 30 years since I built a fly rod. Needless to say, technology, resources, and opinions have changed. I've already "binged" on a lot of very useful and interesting forum content (threads, FAQs, library) - but forgive me if I've overlooked the following.

When I built my rods, I followed the advice of L.A. Garcia who, as I understand it, was a proponent of extra guides and oversized guides. While that approach is still pretty ingrained, I'm reconsidering it.

With that said, I'd be interested in the opinions of others as whether or not to go with oversized guides for a 6 1/2' 2wt fly rod.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 6 1/2' 2wt fly rod guides
Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: September 11, 2021 09:16AM

Mine on that would be a 10, 3, and 1/0 for the remaining running guides

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 11, 2021 09:40AM

hi James, i was just wondering how far that 2wt. would cast one of my 5/0 deer hair bugs..lol. might snap the rod..lol..i,m still a big fan of Mr. Garcia,s..i like his ideas on extra guides and his use of CP and applying the epoxy to just the top of the wrap..i have yet to have any water damage to my wraps but i only fish fresh water..and it makes for easier guide removal and clean up..and the wraps still look sharp..

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: September 11, 2021 11:29AM

Don't know who or what entity determines what is "normal", "under", or "over" sized guides.

My thinking is close to Ron Weber's but I'd use a 10 mm agate or 8 mm ceramic followed by a light wire #2 snake then light wire #1/0s for the rest. After all it's a short, 2 weight; it will not be the rod for 70' casts!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 11, 2021 11:51AM

Use the correct size and number of guides rather than using guides that are too large, too small, too many or too few. Something along the lines of what the two gentleman above recommended should be about right.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 11, 2021 11:56AM

Use the smallest guide size that will pass your connections, using larger sized guides does nothing for performance. All you are doing is adding extra weight, which will dampen the blanks recovery.

I'd use an #8 Stripper, then a #1, rest 1/0 or 2/0. Snake Brand has the Universals which go as small as a 1/0 and the Originals which go down to 2/0.

Date: September 13, 2021 06:10PM

Hi all,

Apologies for the tardy reply...

Ron - thanks. I appreciate the input.

Ben - I too am wondering what the 2 wt will be able to cast and looking forward to testing it out on the small creeks.

Donald - I see your point. I was using "oversized" to describe what would be larger than "traditional" or "standard". I had considered light wires and will take a second look at them.

Tom - having read the FAQs I appreciate your reply and advice.

Bill - thanks also for your thoughts. Now I'm curious to know how much extra weight "oversized" guides would add. Hmmm... I appreciate your size recommendations too.

Again - thanks to all. This will be interesting and I think I'll mock-up several of the suggestions.

Posted by: Brian Avery (---)
Date: September 14, 2021 09:36AM

I have built a lot of short 2 wt's, and others have given excellent advice. I typically follow the advice in Tom's book on the number of guides. I have found that for me and my customers, size one or 1/O running guides meet the requirements for looks and performance. I like single foot snake guides for all guides except the stripper. They offer a tremendous weight savings by using half of the thread and finish, imho. Best of luck!

Date: September 14, 2021 10:03AM

Thanks, Brian! I appreciate the input.

Posted by: Nick McCasey (---.nhvn.fibertech.com)
Date: September 14, 2021 01:09PM

The advice above is great. I built a 7.5' 3wt fiberglass rod recently and did the size 10 agate, followed by a 2 litewire snake, and then 1/0 lightwire snakes the rest of the way. As Brian mentioned, single foot snakes can help reduce the weight, but I would recommend stepping the size up to 1s on the runners if you're going to use single foots.

Date: September 14, 2021 07:33PM

Thanks, Nick. Really appreciate the input and vote of confidence for the above advice.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 16, 2021 10:55AM

We got to remember what time frame Mr Garcia's books came from, what he fished for, and what rods he used for those fish. The little fairy wands weren't in his vocabulary and not even available yet. Knowledge and thoughts in books are static. I would hope rod building would evolve over time, the information here has certainly changed my thoughts and building over the years.

Date: September 16, 2021 12:01PM

Spencer,i was just thinking about what you just wrote..my first build back in the sixtys was a fly rod herters kit about a 4# or some kind of level line..it still performs quite well and looks like any 71/2 foot glass rod made today..all i ever did to it was change the line to a new taper..if it were not for graphite, fly rods would still be pretty much un changed..snake guides still rule..cork grips still rule..9 foot rods basicly rule..it looks like we,re going to have to wait another 60 years for the next big change..maybe lithium alloy fly rods..lol.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 16, 2021 01:55PM

ben belote Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Spencer,i was just thinking about what you just
> wrote..my first build back in the sixtys was a fly
> rod herters kit about a 4# or some kind of level
> line..it still performs quite well and looks like
> any 71/2 foot glass rod made today..all i ever did
> to it was change the line to a new taper..if it
> were not for graphite, fly rods would still be
> pretty much un changed..snake guides still
> rule..cork grips still rule..9 foot rods basicly
> rule..it looks like we,re going to have to wait
> another 60 years for the next big change..maybe
> lithium alloy fly rods..lol.

Next big thing - micro-bots, interconnected with graphene runs, powered by quantum computers, programed to monitor wind, air pressure, humidity, temperature, and the make the perfect cast for the type fly, fly line, and water fished. And after the fishing is done, it will make you a hot, gourmet lunch. I mean, we have fly by wire aircraft, why not a fish by wire pole. Bwahahahahaha!

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Date: September 16, 2021 04:19PM

Bwahahahahaha - indeed!

Yes - I recognize that technology has changed and appreciate the point that knowledge in books is static, which is why I reached out. Nevertheless - there is good stuff in old books and trying to chase down copies of some of the old rod building classics can be pricey because I think we recognize this. I would point out that while IM8 graphite and "fairy wands" might not have been around - single foot guides were available and Mr Garcia was building 6 1/2' and even 5' rods. Something that has stuck with me was a comment made by Mr Garcia in a letter where he advised against single foot guides. Apparently he made several rods where they were requested, only to have them returned to have "traditional" 2 foot snake guides put in their place. I've never had a rod w/ single foot guides but I now have a set for this rod and I'm looking forward to seeing how they pan out. Maybe I can convince my wife I need a second blank for a 2 foot version to compare in the name of science - ;).

Date: September 16, 2021 05:59PM

James,all my fly rods are single foots ,mostly ceramics from pan fish to 720 grain line bass bug rods..i have never, never had any problems with them..my only problem is with the traditionallist who for some silly reason are annoyed by it and they will bug you too..they even get annoyed if anyone uses singlefoot wire guides..my 720 bass bug rod isa 71/2 foot pitchin' stick blank but that was the only rod i could find to cast a 160 grain 5/0 moose hair bug that i make for night fishing after big bass..if they saw this rod, they would have a hissy fit..lol..enjoy your rod and remember it,s your rod..

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 16, 2021 06:20PM

Hello James.

I'm not a big fly guy but I don't think Mr. Garcia was using the Forhan wrap on those single foot's.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: September 16, 2021 08:14PM

Ben - I'm - or was - one of those traditionalists that's making a change and looking forward to it - ;)

Bob - I was really jazzed to find the Forhan locking wrap detailed in the Library. I'm also building some spinning rods w/ my 11 and 14 year old daughters and that locking wrap will serve us well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster