I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Rod Speed
Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 15, 2021 11:05AM

hi Jim..i,m just trying to bring a little more ballance to rod building..i,m the only one who talks about the fish fighting qualities of a rod..i get tired of talking and reading about rod sensetivity and how much more casting distance we can get if we just do this or that..we aren,t all surf fishers..lol.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jim spooner (---)
Date: September 15, 2021 11:34AM

Ben,
No argument there. I sometimes use more powerful rods to allow pulling fish (bass) from heavy cover. The rods don’t load well for casting, but sometimes we need a little more of one thing at the expense of another (trade-offs).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2021 12:22PM by jim spooner.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: September 15, 2021 12:19PM

I have always seen fish rod reaction time expressed in vague generalities such as "slow" or "medium fast", never in actual fact such as fractions of a second. Perhaps current quality control in rod blank production is not consistent enough to support actual measurement of individual rod performance, as in fractions of a second to return from 1/3 flexed to straight.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 15, 2021 12:44PM

understood Jim and i use to do a lot of flipping with rods built to horse a fish out of cover and into the boat..my rods didn,t need any shock absorbtion like you do when fighting a fish caught on a cranking rod..that,s my point, do builders care about shock absorption in their rods or is it only high modulus and sensetivity they care about..but the higher these are the less shock absorption you have to better fight a fish..

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 15, 2021 01:22PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have always seen fish rod reaction time
> expressed in vague generalities such as "slow" or
> "medium fast", never in actual fact such as
> fractions of a second. Perhaps current quality
> control in rod blank production is not consistent
> enough to support actual measurement of individual
> rod performance, as in fractions of a second to
> return from 1/3 flexed to straight.

I'm not aware of any rod manufacturer that provides any sort of measurement for "fish rod reaction time." When you see "fast, medium or slow" they're talking about action - where the rod initially flexes, not how fast the rod reacts or recovers. It seems that you have been misinterpreting the terms as they apply to fishing rod action and thinking they had something to do with rod speed.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: September 19, 2021 09:57AM

Ask 100 fishermen what is meant by "slow" when it refers to a fishing rod: "Does the word 'slow' refer to a place on a rod or the movement (action) of a rod?" I'll bet at least 95% of them get it wrong. Words have no intrinsic meaning: they mean what the majority agree that they mean. It may be the widespread confusion between a location on a fishing rod and the movement of a fishing rod is unimportant. If so, I apologize for wasting your time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2021 10:16AM by Phil Ewanicki.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 19, 2021 10:20AM

Yes, most of them will get it wrong, just as those same fishermen think there is such a thing as "heavy action." Ignorance of an issue or term does not make the majority correct.

The manufacturers of the rods and blanks sets the definition for what "action" and "speed" mean, and they are correct by definition.

Again, below is just one of dozens of illustrations that major fishing rod manufacturers use to depict blank action. Action is where the rod initially flexes. If you want to argue, argue with them.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-167-114-11.net)
Date: September 19, 2021 02:36PM

I have fishing rod and rod blank catalogs going back into the early 1970s, mostly from Featherweight, Fenwick and Lamiglas. Every single one of them has a chart that shows "action" as being where or how a rod bends.

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster