I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Minima F Runner Size ?
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: September 09, 2021 04:02AM

Been using minimas almost exclusively lately. Ul to light builds. Been running size 4 runners. Next build is going to be a ML 7'3". Got everything laid out and ready to start wrapping. Wondering about the runners though. Not very concerned about strength. Will most likely do a locking wrap which I have not been doing. Wondering about the size based on possible uses for the rod. At some point he rod may get used for slip bobbering Walleyes. Thinking might be a good idea to step up to size 5 to give a bit more clearance for the bobber stop going through the guides. I know it will fit through a 4 just thinking a 5 might lessen the chance for drag on the guides reducing casting distance. Anyone notice a difference between the two in this situation?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minima F Runner Size ?
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 09, 2021 05:45AM

Michael,
Go with the size 5's.
The weight difference is negligible and if the larger guides even mitigate slip bobber knot issues once, it will be well worth it.

As a matter of fact, if you go to size 6's, you will even have less issues. Again the casting difference, and the fewer issues with slip bobber knots will be even better.

For many years, I used only size 6 runners with no issues about casting, slip bobber knots or sensitivity or anything else.

Yes, I have built rods with size 3 and 4 runners. They are fine too. But, I can not say that I have caught more fish with the rods built with size 3, 4, or 5 runners. I will say however, that I have had less line issues with the rods that have size 6 runners compared to the rods with size 3 and 4 runners. But, I will also say that if I have no knots of any kind, if I have no picking up junk on the line like cotton wood fluff, or alge, or leaves, the size 3 and 4 guides have been just fine.

But, I will also say that if I don't have my good glasses on, threading the line through the smaller guides is an issue and others have told me the same thing. i.e. especially for older folks who have some vision issues, do have issues threading a line through a size 3 or 4 or 5 guide that doesn't exist with the size 6 guides.

No question about it, if you are fishing in water that has floating junk on it - as happens to many bodies of water, or in many lakes and rivers and certain kinds of the year - the smaller guides do present issues with line flow caused by junk on the line.

Best wishes

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 09, 2021 08:56AM

Given the extremely reasonable cost of these guides, why not get some fours and fives and tape the rod up and just go try it. That way you’ll know if you can get by with the fours, and if you can, you should.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (131.123.51.---)
Date: September 09, 2021 09:42AM

Minima 4's will work just fine. They have an opening similar to a 5-6mm ceramic.

I built my panfish rods with the intention of throwing small jigs and UL cranks and opted for 3mm ceramics at the time. I don't use floats often, but a nail knot bobber stop that has the tag ends trimmed very close to the knot will pass through 3mm ceramic guides on 6lb mono just fine. I've been fishing them for at least a dozen years.

There is no reason to use a larger guide than necessary to pass any required knots and connections.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: September 09, 2021 11:08AM

For slip float fishing I would go with the size 5. I have made a lot of crappie slip float rods, and most prefer the size 5 guides, and for some even the size 6. I have replaced the size 4 runners on several slip float rods with size 5, and the owners were happier. Bobber knots or bobber stops really do vary in size, and the larger runners make it easier for them to pass. The foot on the size 5 runner is not as wide as the foot on the 4W runners. I wish the size 4 runners came with a narrower foot to better fit the tip section of UL rods. Any way because of the narrower foot the size 5 runners are not much heavier than the 4s. I do a locking wrap on all single foot guides, because I like them, but don’t think they are really necessary unless the rods get a lot of rough treatment.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 09, 2021 01:32PM

I have bobber stops going through 4 mm guides all thr time steelhead float fishing, some have ceramic guides on them that make them even smaller.
50 lb mono wll pass thru a 3 mm guide with lots of room to spare.
I thought I had bad eyes, but I have no problem with threading little guides, I just threaded a needle for the wife a few weeks ago no problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2021 01:37PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 09, 2021 03:15PM

You know the size of a runner is a personal thing.

If you want to go with size, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 or 10- by all means use that size.

For many many folks, they could care less if the guide is a size 2 or a size 8. The only thing that many care about is whether the particular rod will be an aid to catching a fish.

But, do consider the wishes of your client if building for someone else. Lots and lots of folks - especially those with limited eye sight have no time or energy dealing with a guide that is much smaller than a size 6. Or others, who want a tiny tiny, tiny, guide then by all means build the rod with the guide of their choosing.

By the way, it makes no difference what a person can put up with respect to a guide size - if they are not completely happy and comfortable with the rod.

Folks say that a size xxx guide can pass a knot or stopper of such and such a size. Fine - then enjoy fishing with that size guide. Other folks just don't wish to deal with tiny guides for the very little to be gained by that particular person using a rod with tiny tiny guides.

Remember, the guide size is not about what you as a builder can enjoy, or even tolerate, but rather - what the user of the rod -- whomever that might be in the use of a particular rod.

Take care

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: September 09, 2021 06:13PM

Michael,
I agree with Roger and Norman = the older I get, the smaller the guides seem to be.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: September 10, 2021 05:35AM

Thanks for the replies. Figured it would fall into the probable don;t make a difference do what you want category like so many things in rodbuilding. I am leaning towards 5s. Roger brought up something I forgot about COTTON WOOD FLUFF. I hate that crap. I am building new UL for bedding bluegills for next spring. Got the reduction train all wrapped. Was going to to wrap the runners this weekend. Was going to go 4s got to order some 5s now. Going to a 6 looks out of place to my eye as the reduction is a 16 8 5. All the rods I have wrapped with 4s have been trout rods. Nice clean water no worries about picking up debris and never have a need for a slip float. Some days though my eyes and fumble fingers wish I went with 5s. But I might of shaved a few grains off the total guide weight......

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: September 10, 2021 07:55AM

One thing I learned to do is have the angler tell me if they plan to tie leaders. If they do I have them tie their preferred knot and I watch them. Some anglers get size 4 guides, and some anglers get size 5 or even size 6 guides. Make the needs fit your client. Even if the client is yourself. This is the difference between CUSTOM rod building vs rod building.

Side note: This is why I only fish leaders when I have to. My line to line knots need help. I would be in the size 6 category.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster