I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Custom rods and their pieces tested hard in Alaska
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 03, 2021 08:58PM

I just returned from a couple of weeks of Halibut and Salmon fishing with several rods I built. All survived and functioned very well. There were a few blanks and components that really stood out to me. I’ll start first with those of the sponsors.

The Alps Aluminum Trigger reel seat is so well designed, made, and finished. It holds reels so securely and is comfortable to use for hours. I cut down one of their triangle grips for a fore grip and it was very comfortable and offered a great hold when challenged by big bottom fish, silvers, and herring goo. Their EPDM grips are also very “grippy” and durable.

I couldn’t have been happier with the SeaGuide titanium guides that were on three rods. They landed everything from Halibut that were down over 550 feet to eighteen pound Silvers in salt currents at stream mouths. They survived TSA inspectors and novice anglers landing fish and stowing rods in a small aluminum boat. I pressed one of these rods into unintended Halibut use to let someone else use my Halibut rod. It was a “torture test” I didn’t envision. Like every other company I am mentioning, I have no affiliation or financial interest in SeaGuide.

I used a 7’6 moderate-fast action, heavy Point Blank for casting spinners to Silvers from the boat. There wasn’t room for anything longer, even though I had 9’6” rods with me. The rod was great in every respect. It cast extremely well, set hooks correctly and handled some impressive running and jumping fish. It matched wonderfully with a Bantam reel for the use. If you haven’t tried Point Blanks’ more moderate action rods, I highly encourage you to do so.

The non-sponsor item I was absolutely impressed with was a United Composites US79Mega blank. It was great for trolling and casting. It’s strength and sensitivity are impressive for it’s weight. It was the rod I mis-applied to Halibut fishing, more for its length than the size of Halibut I was expecting. I built it for lingcod and it is so versatile. This blank just has that “feel” that most of you are probably familiar with when you get a rod that has a great action and punches over it’s weight class.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom rods and their pieces tested hard in Alaska
Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: September 04, 2021 12:11AM

Kendall,
That’s all fine and dandy, but why didn’t you take me? I’m jealous!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster