I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decorative wrapping books?
Posted by: Tyler Reinert (---)
Date: August 28, 2021 07:03PM

What books would you all recommend to learn how to do custom crosswraps and decorative trim? There's very little info online on this topic. I'd like to pick up some books on it that I can learn how to properly set up and complete the process step by step.
Thank you for any recommendations you all may have for me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decorative wrapping books?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 28, 2021 07:08PM

I would start with Billy Vivona's book. But if you have no experience at all, you might find more basic instructions elsewhere. You have to at least understand the principles of decorative wrapping before you can move into the more intricate wraps.

Dale Clemens also published a book on decorative wrapping. It is quite good, but somewhat hard to newcomers to understand.

Date: August 28, 2021 07:21PM

I'm a quick learner. I just need a place to start so that I can learn the fundamentals. I haven't found much of anything of use online. And would like to see the process illustrated and broken down into steps. I'll look into those books you mentioned. Thank you.

Posted by: Tyler Reinert (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 28, 2021 10:45PM

I just ordered the book by Dale Clemens. And will look into the other one next time I got to Mudhole.

Date: August 28, 2021 10:54PM

At one time the folks at Flex Coat had some simple but very informative pamphlets on basic wrapping.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 29, 2021 11:51AM

Hello Tyler.

I like the book "Introduction to Cross Wrap Designs".

You can find it online.

Good Luck.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2021 11:53AM by Robert A. Guist.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 29, 2021 03:58PM

Tyler,
In my rod building infancy, I too purchased “Advanced Custom Rod Building” by Dale Clemens. Many refer to it as the “Bible of rod building”. Although a bit dated, I learned a lot from a respected veteran of that era.
I am surprised to learn from you “There's very little info online on this topic.” Maybe you need to simply look elsewhere or dig a little deeper. I found a wealth of rod building information online, probably more than I got from Dale. Good luck!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: August 29, 2021 04:53PM

I was sent a link to a website with a ton of information from a member here yesterday. However in my previous searches I found very little and had not seen any videos that explained it clearly or that didn't skip steps.

I've read alot on the site I was sent and I just need to get a few tools to mark my blanks but I now have an understanding on how the process works. Going to start with a Chevron and go from there!

Date: August 29, 2021 07:55PM

If you can find a copy of the book I wrote for Amato Publications, the Rod Building Guide, it contains the first color photos of a basic diamond/chevron wrap ever published. No idea if you can find one or not but I went to great pains to make it very easy to follow.

Date: August 30, 2021 01:04PM

I was able to track down a copy of your book. It was the last one left!

Another question I had was do you all use a butt wrap alignment tool? I see Mudhole has one for sale.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster