I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

><> CARP <><
Date: August 27, 2021 10:53AM

In the United States the common carp has always been looked down upon as an undesirable catch.

When I was a young man in Michigan I discovered the shear power of the fish and played around with ways to target them. As I got older I looked at what the Europeans are doing and tried to adapt some of that to what I was doing.

Fast forward a whole lot of years- EU style carp fishing is a growing sport in North America but not a lot of custom builders are taking advantage of it.

American Tackle now has a full line of custom carp rod components designed by a world class European carp angling team.

Check out this video and others on our Youtube channel- [www.youtube.com]

blanks- [www.americantackle.us]
guides- [www.americantackle.us]
[www.americantackle.us]
seats- [www.americantackle.us]
[www.americantackle.us]

Download the 2022 Catalog with a great selection of carpy stuff starting on page 70
[www.americantackle.us]

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ><> CARP <><
Posted by: Charles Backes (---)
Date: August 27, 2021 11:12AM

Although I’m not a carp fisherman down here in South Georgia, this is a great video...informative but really fun to watch!

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: August 27, 2021 11:42AM

Those Atrex blanks are fantastic. Here in Ontario we have now been allowed to use 3 rods for carp.A lot of European people come here for the Carp Fishing.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Ancelmo Fernandez (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: August 27, 2021 11:45AM

Well said Don. It is astonishing that a fish almost consider god in other parts of the world is cast aside by most anglers as "trash fish". I am glad to see that the popularity is growing in places like New York and the Mid West. The techniques some of these anglers use is incredibly sophisticated. Just the rigs I see tied on is enough to send me down the rabbit hole. Now I am tying hair rigs and thinking of building an ATREX.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2021 12:48PM by Ancelmo Fernandez.

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: August 27, 2021 12:51PM

I watched a video of a guy in England catch one. He caressed it and petted it like it was a grand prize, then he kissed it and sent "her" back into the pond. Over here they shoot them with arrows for fun, go figure. I have one in my pond in my back yard, about 10-12 pounds. I've been watching it for two years and I'm still thinking about ways to catch it, maybe with my surf rod. But I'm not going to kiss it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2021 12:52PM by Fred Zimmermann.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 27, 2021 02:05PM

When I lived up north I fished a lot for Carp. I made a variety of home brew secret recipe baits which included kero syrup, anise, jello, peanut butter. garlic and some mystery ingredients and some recipes worked extremely well..

After much trial and error the system I used was a "Y" rod to set the fishing rod on, then a string about 3ft long was tied to the base of the holder and the other end was tied to a spring type clothes pin. The bait was cast out and the rod was set on the holder the line was reeled in to take up the slack, the line was pulled slightly and the clothes pin was clipped to the line.
Now it was wait and see. When the clothes pin started to move up and down I carefully griped the rod and waited to set the hook. I reared back and set the hook, as the rod was being raised the tethered clothes pin separated from the line and the fight began.

Fishing carp especially large carp is pretty much a tug of war.

Medium to heavy fresh water tackle (spinning and bait casting) is all I used.

If you live in an area where carp are plentiful take your kids or grand kids fishing and prepare to have a great time.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: August 27, 2021 04:12PM

If you live in an area where carp and so-called "cotton poplar" trees are found you should try fly fishing for carp - with DRY FLIES! In the spring "cotton" (Carolina) poplars broadcast their seeds, which are attached to little white cotton-like "parachutes". These seeds tend to be blown into backwaters and eddies where they float on the surface where carp sip them. Carp will suck up a well-placed fly made from a small bunch of cotton and a little fake black seed on a small hook Because of the profusion of feed you must be very accurate or very lucky to hook up, but when you do, hang on!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 27, 2021 05:14PM

Out here in the West we have been fly fishing for Carp for a number of years. Rivers like the Missouri, Clarks Fork Sacramento and many others have large Crap that will take a surface fly. Great Sport!

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 27, 2021 06:44PM

><))))> Hood fishing for carp. Here in the Houston there are carp in the bayous and drainage canals. Some of the best spots are located in the "Hood". We fly fish for them with special flies that we know they will hit. Its really great fun but it is best to be outa of there by about 3:30 pm (1530) before the gangsters get up. Of course, here in Texas we can carry, but the intension is not to shoot anybody, so it is best to leave before there is a problem. We call carp:"The poor mans bonefish". The big ones, on lite tackle, absolutely push it to the limit.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 28, 2021 09:24AM

Here in the Northeast, Carp are a popular target with fly fishermen. While most are taken on nymphs, they will take dries. One of my home turf rivers, we will find Carp mixed in with trout taking mayflies off the surface, they are actually tougher to fool than the trout. When the Grasshoppers are out, we’ll find them in back eddies sipping the ones that get blown into the water. Of the species of fish I target, they are the toughest to fish for, easy to spook, and delicate presentations are needed. They will test your skills!

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 29, 2021 12:08AM

The Atrex blanks look fantastic! Matched with a CCT Reel Seat and some Vortex Air Guides, it would be a force to be recokoned with!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster