I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What to do without a lathe?
Posted by: Dennis Penton (---)
Date: August 26, 2021 11:01AM

I'd like to try my hand at shaping some handles for a build using Carbon Fiber handles. The Carbon Fiber handle kit will be where I start, but I do not have a cork / EVA turning lathe. My rod wrapper is the most economical single speed (CRB i think). How else might I shape the handle? I'm looking to do some rounding and tapering of the ends. Any cheap lathes out there that I might look into? I have drills, drill press, belt sanders, vibration sanders. Can any of these be rigged to work?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What to do without a lathe?
Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: August 26, 2021 11:32AM

This might give you some ideas:
[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 26, 2021 12:10PM

That carbon handle isn't solid - there will not be much you can do insofar as additional shaping to the handle.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 26, 2021 12:36PM

One can easily and cheaply adapt a drill press to work just fine on stuff like cork and the cores for carbon fiber components.

If there is interest in this send me an email.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 26, 2021 12:55PM

If you want to work horizontally, you can clamp a drill into a vise and insert a mandrel into the drill and go to work.

Date: August 26, 2021 01:16PM

The smoothest, quietest, most secure cheap way to do it is with a drill press. Working with either drill drivers or corded drills somehow restrained just doesn't cut it. Pun intended.

Posted by: Dennis Penton (---)
Date: August 26, 2021 02:29PM

To clarify, I'm looking to shape the foam core... to then glue the carbon fiber over it... then finally to glue it to blank

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 26, 2021 02:54PM

The foam core shapes very easily. In fact, you have to be careful not to take off too much too quickly. If you do not wish to spring for any sort of lathe, you can certainly make do with a common hand drill, affixed or clamped to a table or vise. Depending on the length of the grip core, you may not even need a V-stand or similar on the outer end of the mandrel. The foam shapes very easily with sandpaper alone.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 26, 2021 04:10PM

Dennis,
While most lathes spin horizontally, your drill press will work until you are able to acquire a formal lathe. But it is dependent on how long the grip is and the capacity of the drill press. I suggest supporting the loose end of the mandrel for both more precision and safety as well. Clamp a piece of .5in to .75in plywood (rigid plastic is even better) in a mill vise (a cheapie Harbor Freight is adequate) and secure the vise to the table with clamps. Drill a hole in the wood / plastic the same size as the mandrel used for the foam core. This becomes your lower “bushing” and is inherently inline with the spindle of the drill press. While it could be considered rather crude, nonetheless it works. Been there, done that.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 26, 2021 04:25PM

take a five gallon plastic bucket and drill a quarter inch hole about one and a half inches down from the top of the lip..chuck a quarter inch all thread rod into your hand drill..attach your foam piece to the rod and insert the rod into the quarter inch hole with the rod running across the bucket and the drill resting on the lip across from the hole..sand away..the bucket will collect all the dust..it,s very portable..lol.

Date: August 26, 2021 04:38PM

Another example of “crude” working = not bad, Ben.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: August 26, 2021 04:58PM

Instead of relying on a hole in a piece of wood for the lower support of the mandrel in a drill press setup, buy a cheap ball bearing with an ID matching the mandrel OD and inset the bearing into the wood. It will be more solid, accurate, and will last about forever.

Cork, including burl, forms with just sandpaper, too. Start with 60, then 150 or 220, then go higher if you want it smoother.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 26, 2021 05:45PM

Thanks Mark..just trying to keep it simple and cheap especially cheap..lol.

Date: August 26, 2021 06:27PM

Micheal,
You are certainly and obviously correct that a bearing would provide more precision and longevity.
Mine was intended to be a quick, easy, effective (albeit crude) method using things one might already have in their shop. I employed bronze sleeve bushings or even aluminum tubing directly clamped in the mill vise, but not many have an assortment of such stock lying around. But that is all behind me now after upgrading my power wrapper (now lathe) with a bigger motor, 3-jaw chuck, tailstock with live center, tool rest, and even vacuum dust control = best investment I’ve made for wrapping rods!!!
Ben,
I can certainly relate to that!!!

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster