I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Why wrap by hand?
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: September 03, 2021 09:58AM

Richard, we learned to wrap in a very similar to the way using the same method. You certainly do not need to spend any money to wrap a rod. I used a pile of my old college text books as a tension device, rather than a phone book. The phone books from the area I used to live in were just too thin.
Norm

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 03, 2021 10:40AM

for my seat of the pants method i attach the vee blocks to the table so that they hang over the edge..the thread in a fly tying bobbin is attached to the rod and hangs down in front of the table edge..this allows me to wrap forwards or backwards using gravity to maintain thread tension..i can adjust thread tension by slipping fender washers over the bobbin tube..be careful of the winding tension, too much makes packing difficult..i try to use just enough tension so that i can still pack three or four wraps..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2021 10:05AM by ben belote.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 03, 2021 01:14PM

Ben,
Except for the first rod that I wrapped by hand when first starting, all of the rods that I have built over the years have all been wrapped with the aid of a power wrapper.

When I wrap, I normally have about a 20 to 30 degree angle of the thread to the guide being wrapped. As a result, the wraps are all tightly packed without ever having to do any packing. Now and then, with either a guide foot or some other issues, a gap appears in a wrap. But, if that happens, I pack as needed before going on.

There is nothing different when hand wrapping and power wrapping. i.e. the rod is turning, the thread is going on and depending of the angle of the thread to the wrap, the thread will be tightly packed with no additional packing or loose, if the angle of the thread is too close to 90 degrees to the wrap.

But, when one is power wrapping there is nothing magical about stopping a wrap in the beginning, middle or end of a wrap to have lunch, take a nature break, wash ones hands or to pack a thread that is too loose. So, the packing that goes on with hand wrapping is the same packing that goes on with power wrapping at any time that a loose spaced wrap happens.

Best wishes

Date: September 03, 2021 02:27PM

if you say so..thanks Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 03, 2021 07:47PM

Ben,
However, since I never wrap by hand, I am not the one to make the comparison with respect to thread wrapping.

I wrap using a particular method that works for me.

You use a method to wrap that works for you.

So, lets all wrap and have a great day and happy users of the rods whomever they might be.

Stay safe.

Date: September 04, 2021 06:03AM

sounds good Roger..

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 08, 2021 08:12AM

I doubt anyone could tell if a rod was hand wrapped or power wrapped by just looking at it. How much time is saved by power wrapping - if you include set-up and take-down time?

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: September 08, 2021 05:00PM

Phil,

Saved time depends on the build. If I am doing a long underwrap or something similar on bigger offshore rods I can wrap much faster. I have not timed it but I estimate about 1"/3 seconds with size A. There is not any real extra setup time other than one second to tighten the chuck on the handle.

I personally only power wrap with my Alps when I am doing long underwraps. It saved a ton of time on a recent Huddleston throwing rod where the client wanted a metallic wrap between the split grip handle. Over guides I remove the belt (takes one second) and wrap by hand. Only when it is in the Alps wrapper it turns on bearings and is smoother for me to hand turn. So even hand wrapping I find more enjoyable on the power wrapper.

I will then belt it back up to apply finish and then dry it.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 08, 2021 06:10PM

Hello All.

I'm with Aaron.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: September 14, 2021 08:57AM

Well, I just got my wrapper set up and I am going to kiss hand wrapping for the most part, good-bye. Although up to this point, my mind has enjoyed hand wrapping, I've gotten better and better and I am glad I started this way. However, my mind may like it but over the years from doing various things with my fingers work wise, they ache. I thought maybe over time my fingers would get used to the hand wrapping thing but they only have become worse. I purchased the Flex Coat DC-777 and the foot pedal has slow enough speeds so I can wrap just as slow on the tedious wraps as I can by hand, almost. With the slip clutch, I can still wrap by hand if I choose. Having the rod mounts mounted horizontally so my thread carrier and finishing carrier slide under everything so I don't have to move anything, makes everything a breeze. The set up is faster and it just works for me. I couldn't be happier with it and my finishing is easier too. I'd might think differently if I was 25, I could get buy with hand wrapping and a good finishing motor just fine, as this is what I was doing before, but I'm not 25 anymore. I really don't think wrapping with the power wrapper will save me much time, you still have to stop and pack your threads but it will save my aching fingers. I also noticed right off the bat that I have this extra hand that I can do things with instead of turning the rod, it was very odd at first, my left hand kept grabbing the rod like it was going to turn it. He's feeling a little left out right now, replaced by a machine. So, it's just a choice, mine was dictated by my physical abilities. Tight wraps everyone.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster