I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Why wrap by hand?
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 25, 2021 11:30PM

I wonder why some folks still wrap by hand with the availability of different models of powered wrappers available?

I wrapped one rod by hand many many years ago when first starting to wrap. After that one rod, all of the rest of the many rods that have been wrapped, have all been wrapped under one or another different forms of power wrapping.

Take care

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why wrap by hand?
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 26, 2021 12:39AM

Roger,
Aside from the additional cost factor involved with a power wrapper versus a hand wrapper, there are numerous other personal factors to be addressed and considered. First is eye / hand / foot coordination. Admittedly, my foot only responds precisely to my hands or eyes while in an auto racing environment. Frustratingly, there is some kind of short circuit between my foot and eyes / hands while wrapping rods. While the power aspect of wrapping is a God-send for long underwraps or simple, single-color guide wraps, intricate wraps requiring frequent stopping and starting at precise points are easier if performed by hand. Secondly, when the inevitable boo boo occurs, power wrapping may take 2-4 rotations to realize and stop before backing-up whereas by hand it is usually noticed within 1 rotation. There are other pros and cons as well. Basically, I feel more in control wrapping by hand than with power.
I employed your Electrical Engineering savoy to design the circuitry and components for my upgraded rod lathe and I could not be happier = it works flawlessly. But to be honest, 80% of my wraps are performed without the foot pedal. But when I need it, it is certainly a blessing!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 26, 2021 12:52AM

I have wrapped several rods with a power wrapper and hated it. Tried my best to like it, but it just never felt right or comfortable to me. Could not get use to me moving rather than the rod, also had to move the thread carriage as I moved along it was just a pain in the butt. Just felt awkward and like I had less control. I can actually wrap much faster by hand then by using a power wrapper. I like having that hands on feel, and honesty saying this rod was hand make. Can’t blame the power wrapper I own, it is a top of the line model. I use it as a cork lathe, but not as a rod wrapper. Different strokes for different folks. You do it your way and I’ll do it mine, and we will both be happy.
Norm

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.84.---)
Date: August 26, 2021 02:07AM

I tried to get used to using a power wrapper and I just can't , wrapping by hand has become second nature to me and It's just extremely familiar and comfortable . I have always loved toying around with motors and building things but not for wrapping rods.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 26, 2021 07:43AM

I wrap by hand because I'm cheap and too slow for most power applications. I might see it differently if I made my living wrapping.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: August 26, 2021 08:15AM

I have an Alps and only wrap under power for long under wraps. Sometimes I wrap guides under power but most of the time I unbelt the motor and spin it by hand. Where the power wrapper shines for me is in finishing. Going from finishing on a CRB rod dryer spinning slow vs finishing at moderate speed has improved my finish and reduced my finish times.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: August 26, 2021 08:28AM

By the time I set up and adjust a power wrapper I have lost time it might have afforded me. Besides, I'm not in a rush to make rods, and I don't make enough rods to justify the cost and storage requirements of a power wrapper

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: August 26, 2021 08:41AM

I purchased an Alps power wrapper last year. Im glad I did because I use it for everything now, applying finish, power wrapping and its a much better hand wrapper than my home made hand wrapper. Im still a little uncoordinated under power though.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 26, 2021 09:43AM

i,m a hobbiest..a power wrapper does not make sense to me.. i only build two or three rods a year more or less, mostly less for the last sixty years.lol.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: August 26, 2021 09:58AM

I have a power system I use it to turn handles and for drying.

I wrap by hand because it is therapeutic and relaxes me.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 26, 2021 10:20AM

It really depends on the type rods you build. I can wrap a fly rod by hand just about as quickly as I can wrap one under power. A surf rod, however, is a completely different story.

The best of all worlds is a power wrapper that allows you to slip the belt off of the chuck and use it in either capacity. Generally, power wrappers have better rod supports and thread tensioning devices so they excel as hand wrappers when used in that capacity.

Date: August 26, 2021 10:36AM

Thanks very much for all of the responses about hand wrapping verses power wrapping.

Now, when I look at each of the responses with respect to why folks hand wrap, it sounds like the overwhelming reason is slow speed and delicate control of the rod as the rod is wrapped.

I wonder if folks would feed differently, if they had a power wrapper which had a top speed of 50 rpm and 100 % precise control at 1-2 rpm?

This capability of a top speed of 50 rpm and 100% precise control at 1-2 rpm is readily available by using a DC gear motor that has a top speed of 50 rpm and a set of 1:1 pulleys on the motor and head stock to drive the rod.

Also, a close at hand reverse switch to instantly reverse the rod - as the need arises.

Then, using the same system, one can easily use the wrapper to apply finish at speeds up to 50 rpm, but dial it down to any desired long term drying speed of 1-50 rpm with no change of the rod from a wrapper to a drying motor. No need to remove or install or change drive belts.

-----------------
From a commercial view point, the only thing required would be a switch from a 5000 rpm ac motor and foot pedal to a 50 rpm dc motor, control box and pedal.

I am curious as to anyone's desire to use such a system.

Take care

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: August 26, 2021 11:27AM

"Guide wrap" is a synonym for "whip finish" - the same knot you use to keep a rope from unraveling. Forhan wraps greatly increase the durability of single-foot guides, but you can't make Forhan wraps with a power wrapper. Still, if you build ten or fifteen rods a month a power wrapper would be a sensible investment.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: August 26, 2021 11:29AM

Gentlemen, our new DC777 is unlike any other wrapper/finisher out there now or ever. I developed this new DC motor with help from electrical engineers and rod builders alike. I understand the frustration with power wrappers because I was frustrated. I didn't like having to use multiple motors or machines to do wrapping and finishing. I don't like juggling rod supports as I move down the rod. I don't want to mess with a belt drive that needs adjustment or removal or replacement. I want to focus on my rod build and not on the tool. Our motor starts with a DC powered gear motor that is high in torque and versatility. Speeds go from 40 to 420 rpm for wrapping and finishing. There is a reverse switch. There is a foot control for wrapping as well as an on switch for finishing. And finally the original Flex Coat slip clutch and self adjusting chuck. This allows for easy rod mounting and the ability to hand wrap on the fly in those technical areas. Also, this machine can be used as a guide alignment tool. I take pride in manufacturing and wiring each DC777 that goes out the door right here in Driftwood, Tx.

Norman, our thread carriage has a dove tail that slides easily as the power wrapper quickly lays the thread on the rod.

Here is the video detailing the machine:
[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 26, 2021 12:40PM

The advantage to any power wrapper is that it allows you two options - wrapping under power or wrapping by hand.

Posted by: Gary Weber (173.241.113.---)
Date: August 26, 2021 01:02PM

For myself, there is something handy about a shoe box or two with v notches for the blanks. I can store the jar that holds the spool of thread for wrapping, along with extra stuff for rod repair and building in the shoe boxes. I only need to get the book for thread tension (usually Lucas on Bass), and I am ready to start. I do it as a hobby, usually in the winter.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 26, 2021 01:09PM

Not everyone has a room they can designate, or even a small space for storage. I don't know how I could of power wrapped a rod on one of our ships, but I had no problem building rods and storing a hand wrapper on board.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: August 26, 2021 02:33PM

Tom

Yes and our slip clutch allows the easiest way to transition between hand and power wrapping. Simply just stop power wrapping and start hand wrapping. The slip clutch will even hold the thread tension if you need to stop mid wrap and grab a phone call or contemplate life.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: August 26, 2021 05:27PM

Here is a home made power wrapper using wood and a cordless drill:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 27, 2021 01:03AM

I wrap by hand because I only build fly rods with the shortest wrap the guides need. I can do a single guide by hand quicker than you can set up a power wrapper, especially with various types of trim wraps.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster