I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Working with Carbon Fiber Handles
Posted by: Dennis Penton (65.14.72.---)
Date: August 25, 2021 11:07AM

Never worked with this before. Any do's or don'ts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Working with Carbon Fiber Handles
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: August 25, 2021 05:27PM

Assume your referring to finished handles not making your own. Biggest tip I can give is when you go to glue up wrap the grip completely and well with masking tape. The woven texture of the carbon fiber is a pain to get any epoxy whoops' off. Other thing to watch for is if your using a grit coated reamer to ream the grip. The foam core really likes to hold on to any grit that may break loose as your reaming. I always run a steel rod or a blank scrap through the grip before dropping it down the blank to get rid of the grit and prevent scratches.

Posted by: Dennis Penton (---)
Date: August 25, 2021 07:44PM

Michael Sutheimer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Assume your referring to finished handles not
> making your own. Biggest tip I can give is when
> you go to glue up wrap the grip completely and
> well with masking tape. The woven texture of the
> carbon fiber is a pain to get any epoxy whoops'
> off. Other thing to watch for is if your using a
> grit coated reamer to ream the grip. The foam core
> really likes to hold on to any grit that may break
> loose as your reaming. I always run a steel rod or
> a blank scrap through the grip before dropping it
> down the blank to get rid of the grit and prevent
> scratches.

Thanks for the tip. I can see what you mean about getting epoxy inside all those pores. Actually I was thinking of using both, the factory made as well as the custom made variety.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 25, 2021 07:49PM

Take your time reaming them. They ream EXTREMELY easy. And personally I ream them so they're snugging up to the blank at about 1/2" above the point I want them to be when in their final position. I've only used the ones from CFX that are available from Mudhole. One grip that I built myself, using the kit Mudhole has available, and the others that were stock grips.

I love them though. They clean pretty easily. They aren't slick at all, and I even top coated one with epoxy and Perma Gloss so it has a finish like glass. I will say the one I have top coated becomes slippery if you have fish slime or some thing similar on your hands. But it's not slippery if it's just that your hands are wet.

Posted by: Dennis Penton (---)
Date: August 28, 2021 07:22PM

Great ideas here. Thank you very much.
Do you ream the handle to fit the blank before you shape it? Does it matter?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 28, 2021 07:58PM

Shape first and ream later when ready to glue it to the blank.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster