I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Component Advice on Casting Rod
Posted by: Dennis Penton (65.14.72.---)
Date: August 25, 2021 10:18AM

So looks like I'm getting ready to build a conventional / baitcasting rod on an 8'3" CTS blank. I'll probably go with Fuji KW double foot guides (SIC), but would like some ideas on number of guides as well as sizes. This will be a 30# rod used in the salt to throw heavy plugs and jigs, probably using leaders from #30-65. Because of the this I'm thinking double foot guides all the way through? Yes? No?

Also I'd like to use a trigger reel seat but I'm not sure if the Fuji, ALPS, AT, etc., are all created equal? I have my eye on the Toray version ALPS has but again I'm not familiar with it. If possible I'd like it to be a blank through handle, low profile design, but without sacrificing strength.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Component Advice on Casting Rod
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 25, 2021 07:32PM

I don't really know what guides you'd put on a rod like that, so really can't help with that. What I would do is ask you what reel you're going to be putting on it, as that may well play into what reel seat you can use.

I'm a bass fisherman and only build rods for myself, which means I use bass size reels. Shimano Curado 200's to be exact. I've come to use only the Alps MVT reel seat for my builds. It fits the reels I use on it very well, but I don't know that it would handle a reel foot that was any wider than what is on the reels I use. It will handle a longer reel foot, but I doubt one any wider.

Another thing about the Alps MVT that may end up being a problem for you, and this is something based on the dimensions of the blank you're using. The largest ID you can get an MVT seat in is .591" and that would be a seat without an insert. This link [www.utmostenterprises.com] is to a page on Utmost Enterprises web site that lists the sizes and IDs of the MVT seats. Hope it helps.

Posted by: Dennis Penton (---)
Date: August 25, 2021 07:42PM

Good point. I’m leaning towards a Daiwa Lexa 400.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 25, 2021 09:27PM

It would look good with KWs all the way. Look at some of the ALPs aluminum trigger seats like an AT20 if you want to go lighter try to find a graphite one that has a big enough ID where you are mounting it on the blank.

Posted by: Tyler Reinert (---)
Date: August 26, 2021 08:14PM

Go for the Lexa For sure. I've got a Lexa 300 and a 400 that I've fished quite a bit. Tons of cranking power and silky smooth drag. I've got the 400 on a 15-40 MHX 8' built as a casting rod with double foot fuji guides. It puts the brakes on snook and big reds. If you fish alot of drag and heavy pressure maybe go with double foots. But alot of guys much more knowledgeable then me say that single foot guides are just as strong.

Date: August 26, 2021 09:48PM

Tyler Reinert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Go for the Lexa For sure. I've got a Lexa 300 and
> a 400 that I've fished quite a bit. Tons of
> cranking power and silky smooth drag. I've got the
> 400 on a 15-40 MHX 8' built as a casting rod with
> double foot fuji guides. It puts the brakes on
> snook and big reds. If you fish alot of drag and
> heavy pressure maybe go with double foots. But
> alot of guys much more knowledgeable then me say
> that single foot guides are just as strong.

What grip / reel seat did you go with?

Posted by: Tyler Reinert (---)
Date: August 26, 2021 10:10PM

Went with a FUJI DPSH seat and eva foam grips 14" rear 8" foregrip. But that reel seat is overkill but I like the way it feels and it fishes really comfortable. I don't like trigger reelseats personally. We throw big swimbaits and 2oz flairhawks with it for snook. And it does the job extremely well. I fish with the rod butt tucked under my arm which is why the grips are so long.

Date: August 27, 2021 12:56PM

Great info here gang. Thank you for taking time to share your findings...

Date: August 29, 2021 07:23PM

Another question. The section of this blank where the reel seat will go is 16mm.
I’m think of a trigger grip like this (https://www.mudhole.com/Fuji-ACS-Trigger-Reel-Seat). Which size seat would you recommend being it’s an exposed blank design? 16.5mm? 17mm? Any reason this reel seat would not be a good idea for my build?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster