I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What shim to use with the Fuji VSS17 reel seats?
Posted by: Leonard Bourdage (136.2.33.---)
Date: August 25, 2021 09:11AM

I will be using the VSS 17 spinning reel seat and I am trying to find the best shim for this seat. Any recommendations of what works good and part number to order is appreciated.

I've seen the Fuji Arbors that look like they are an inch long. I've also seen the Batson Shims that look like they run the entire length of the seat. I thought the Batson 17 (17 mm OD) would be best and trim it to the needed length to fit the Fuji' reel seat.

Thanks for your advice

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2021 09:27AM by Leonard Bourdage.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What shim to use with the Fuji VSS17 reel seats?
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 25, 2021 10:42AM

Any of the size 17 polyurethane foam arbors will work. I will usually cut it into 2 or 3 pieces and epoxy a section in each end of reel seat. When the epoxy has cured I will ream to dry fit the blank. I also ream the VSS handle to dry fit the blank. I then epoxy the handle to the reel seat before installing onto the blank. This gives better control of any epoxy slop out and insures a good fit of handle to reel seat. After curing, I epoxy the handle/seat as one unit to the blank. If necessary, any little more reaming of the handle/seat unit might be needed. Takes a little more time, but for me it’s worth it.

Norm

Re: What shim to use with the Fuji VSS17 reel seats?
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: August 25, 2021 11:29AM

I also mate the handle to the VSS seat prior to installing on the blank. The main reason for this is that if your ream is out of center even barely you can struggle to get the handle to seat perfectly into the reel seat. I have also found that the handles aren't always perfect and require a little work sometimes to make the mating area perfect. I also found with some offerings like the NFC soft touch you need to sometimes put a band or tie down the handle to the seat when it is drying to get it to adhere seamlessly to the seat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster