I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: "Locking" Guide Wraps
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2021 06:51PM

Snake guides are wrapped from both ends so if or when they pull out, it's more a matter of the guide crushing inward due to the softness of the wire the guide is made from. A single foot guide, with a Forhan wrap, is far more secure than any snake guide will ever be.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: August 27, 2021 08:04PM

I have used the Forhan wrap on singles foot guides, especially larger guides, and have had zero issues. I also have use single foot with normal wraps and yet to have one pull out, which I suspect could happen if a knot or loop got caught while fighting a fish or if you snag a guide on a branch while walking in the woods. For my future rods I will go with the added insurance of the Forhan, as it does not make for too much extra work. I always ensure I get a little dab of epoxy in front of any foot be it single or snake, just to add strength and keep water from penetrating the gap/tunnel between guide and wraps.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 28, 2021 10:51AM

Since I hand wrap I am able to use Forhan wraps on both legs of a snake guide, making it just as or more sturdy than a single foot guide, and a snake guide is Much More Likely to deflect and shrug off a collision with an object than a single-foot guide. Snake guides are lighter and have a larger effective opening than one-foot guides with the same diameter opening.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 29, 2021 09:58AM

why is it such a big issue when the line slaps the blank of spin rod or just touches the blank of a casting rod but it,s ok for fly rods..there is no effort in building flyrods to keep the line off the blank and it,s such a thick heavy line and such a long rod so you know there is a lot more friction to reduce casting diatance..i think this makes a very good case for using ceramic guides..there would be a less rod contact and greater casting distance..and you could make a proper forhan locking wrap..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2021 10:03AM by ben belote.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 29, 2021 11:55AM

Ben, in fly casting the line is almost always already outside the guides, so there is NO line slap. In the cases where one is shooting line, it is pulled through the guides that are under the rod, so very little if any line slap.

Date: August 29, 2021 02:18PM

Hi Phil..i,m only going by my experience..all my fly rods have ceramic ringed guides and cast aand shoot line so much farther than my fly rods with snake guides..i don,t build rods over eighht feet to keep the swing weight down because these are bass bugging rods and i use fewer ceramic guides but can cast as far as a longer rod with wire guides..the line shoots so much better..give it a try..once you use ceramic you won,t go back to wire..lol.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 29, 2021 04:35PM

Ben, I build only fly rods and have for about 40 years, and have used every type of guide available. I also teach fly casting and have found very little benefit with ceramics. Especially justifying their cost and fragility.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: August 31, 2021 11:00AM

If you don't double-haul fly cast it's unlikely you will see any difference in casting performance between snake guides and one-foot guides: a couple inches maybe. For a fact snake guides will allow twists and wind knots in fly line to pass through more easily than "O" ring guides, and snake guides result in a fly rod with a lesser swing weight.

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: September 01, 2021 04:23AM

Mark, I am interested to see how you are securing the guides too. I use my own version of the Forham wrap, I do 4 "locking" wraps. 2 each way then a couple jam wraps. I have used this on all my builds using single foot micro guides, and I have repaired plenty of rods with micro guides too. Watching the video Roger posted, I am wrapping way too tight.

Steve

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 01, 2021 01:20PM

Steve,
Don't take the tension in the video represent how I wrap. I wrap tight enough, so that I can just barely rotate the guide using both thumbs on a guide.

If I can move the guide with one thumb, I will cut it off and wrap the guide more tightly.

Take care

Date: September 01, 2021 08:28PM

Roger, you use a great amount of guide wrap tension, to me that is..i was wondering why so much..does not the number of wraps add up to more than enough tension even with a moderate amount of winding tension..or does the epoxy application loosen the wrap to some degree..Thanks

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 05, 2021 07:08AM

I used the Forhan locking wrap on a couple of the first flipping and pitching rods I built. I used Fuji L guides for the running guides on those rod. I've now started using Fuji K series guides, KBs and KTs as my running guides, and I don't use the locking wrap anymore. Not because I think it's overkill, or that it doesn't work, but because I don't like how it goes on the K series guides. It's a personal taste kind of thing.

I'm very careful when putting in or pulling my rods out of the rod tubes in my rod locker. I've never had a guide show any sign of pulling out, or even coming loose. I personally don't think it's needed, but I can understand why others prefer to use it.

Date: September 05, 2021 09:35AM

hi David, i think locking wraps are a must on flipping rods because they take a beating when trying to get free of snags..sometimes even the rod gets snagged when trying to poke a lure free..lol.

Date: September 05, 2021 05:03PM

Steve,how do you do four locking wraps especially two each way..do they wrap the leg..Thanks.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 05, 2021 07:06PM

Ben, in the past I've broken a couple of rod tips trying to free hung up lures. I don't go to those type of extremes anymore. Especially since I've started building my own rods. I've give it an honest try when trying to get a bait back, but if it comes down to it, I'll break a bait off rather than risk a broken rod tip.

The problem with that comes if I happen to be using braided line at the time. Breaking 65# braid is not an easy thing to do. lol

Date: September 05, 2021 07:36PM

yes, i know what your saying..i have come close to breaking a rod but sc2s are very tough..lol.. what,s silly is that i pour my own flipping jigs and worms..i think i,m cheap as Mark Talmo..i hate loosing lures..lol..but i love flipping, i have caoght severl bass over eight pounds while flipping. that,s a good bass in delaware..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2021 07:55PM by ben belote.

Posted by: Gary Weber (173.241.113.---)
Date: September 06, 2021 01:39PM

Ben,
Are you sure? I mean I have been very thrifty, but can anybody REALLY be as cheap as Mark Talmo??

Date: September 06, 2021 02:15PM

Ha! good point Gary..i can,t really be sure..i don,t have the first dollar i ever earned but i would not be surprised if Mark did..lol.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: September 09, 2021 07:43PM

Ben,
Is that dollar I made back in the 1960s worth any more today?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: September 09, 2021 08:31PM

good point Mark unless you have a great investment advisor..lol.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster