I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Water Repellent for Cork
Posted by: David Hartman (---)
Date: August 22, 2021 09:29AM

Can you use water repellent spray on cork handles to preserve?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Water Repellent for Cork
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 22, 2021 09:50AM

I have used Thompson's water seal on a few with pretty good results. Of course there are various cork protectant products on the market and available from the sponsors that are even better.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 22, 2021 09:56AM

David,
Actually, cork ages wonderfully well with no coating of any kind.

Cork is the bark of the cork tree and the tree lives for hundreds of years with no preservative . The glue that is used to assemble cork is also resistant to any sort of moisture.

Cork is also a closed cell material that simply does not absorb anything very well. This is why cork was used for hundreds of years as a life preserver because it would float in the water, just as long as it was needed to save the person from the deep dark depths of the briny sea.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: August 22, 2021 10:23AM

Good cork needs no "waterproofing".
Bad cork with filler that fills the pits is your issue.
So, if you have commercial cork with a lot of filler - use U40 cork filler.
If you have good cork with no filer - you need nothing.
Herb

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 22, 2021 10:27AM

You probably can but there are better products available. I use U-40 cork seal.

My only issue with unprotected cork is that over time the cork darkens gets stained and is very difficult to clean. The use of a coating does not enhance the structural integrity of the cork but helps to to resist stains and is easier to keep clean.

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2021 10:38AM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 22, 2021 11:08AM

John,

Sure, with use, cork darkens and gets stained.

But, FEAR NOT - help is on the way!!

Simple Green - is here to stay!!

[www.homedepot.com]

Simple green is widely available in big box, hardware and grocery stores.

Take the rod which has the grip that you wish to clean to the laundry room and clean up in the laundry tub. Easy and convenient.
You just need two additional things. A spray bottle of simple green cleaner, a tooth brush and your hand, fingers and arm to move the brush.

Give the cork a liberal application of simple green cleaner. Use the tooth brush with gusto to remove the dirt and stains. Put the grip under the running water from the laundry tub and continue brushing to remove the dirt stain, and simple green. Repeat as needed until there is not a speck of stain, dirt, oil or anything else that is foreign to the grip.

----------------
If your grip has significant pits, the cure for that is also simple. Go to your big box store and pick up a tube of "Elmers pro bond light oak" wood filler. This new product is completely water proof and will last for a very long time.

[www.menards.com]

On a dry grip, apply filler as needed to fill all pits. Let dry. Then, starting with about 100 grit sand paper, sand the grip to remove excess filler. When you get close to the cork go down to successively finer and finer grits to finish with 400 or 600 grit paper. I do the final clean up with the back side of the sand paper which just more or less gives a final polish to the cork grip. I typically do this work on my power wrapper and it makes quick work of the excess filler removal.

Enjoy your freshed up cork for a long time to come.

Best wishes.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 22, 2021 08:52PM

YUP! That works also.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 23, 2021 12:21AM

David,
By nature, cork is already water repellent; if that is your only concern, be concerned no more and run it as-is. However, dirt and grime penetration may be an issue of concern. The name says it all; U40 Cork Seal! While it may not be ultimately the best, I have found none better. Until then, it's the U40 Cork Seal for me.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: David Hartman (216.75.200.---)
Date: August 23, 2021 07:29AM

Thanks everyone.

Posted by: Ron Beloff (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 26, 2021 03:21PM

Mr. Clean "Magic Eraser" cleans cork beautifully.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 05, 2021 06:41PM

it doesn,t take long for cork to look and feel like crap..nothing wrong with eva except it,s inexpensive..lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster