I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Just Received my new CTS 9' #8 Afinty X
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 19, 2021 06:05PM

Just recieved my new blank. Originally, it was destined to be a high-end rod, worth over $100 bucks when completed. But the individual who wanted it is taking the RodGeeks rod I'm just completing,. With completed rod, Lamson reels, GSP backing, Airflow Line and leader. fluorocarbon tippet, and case,, all put together with tax, and my hourly rate, this is still a $700+ rod. Now I need to find someone who wants a custom 9' #8 fast asction fly rod, and their price point. I'd love to build it as a Christmas gift for one of my boys, however, I'm not wealthy enough for that LOL. I inspected the blank. It's really nice, great feel. I'd recommend this blank to anyone.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just Received my new CTS 9' #8 Afinty X
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 19, 2021 06:44PM

Hello Robert.

I NEVER build a rod for someone until they pay for all the components.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 19, 2021 06:44PM

Double Post

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2021 11:54AM by Robert A. Guist.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.84.---)
Date: August 19, 2021 09:52PM

"Originally, it was destined to be a high-end rod, worth over $100 bucks when completed"

A scratching head emoji .

Date: August 19, 2021 11:45PM

chris c nash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Originally, it was destined to be a high-end rod,
> worth over $100 bucks when completed"
>
>
> A scratching head emoji .

Oh the components were all Nickle chrome reel seats, Snake brad Eco Coated snake guides. an agate striping guide, personalized rod case, personalized rod decals, Lamson Lghtspeed reel, etc. I know that this is not a high end retail price. But with the hardware, reel, reel seat,rod case, etc. that I had picked out, the building cost was in excess of $1000. This doesn't include labor cost, adhesives, thread wrap, epoxy, etc. For my budget, that is high end.

RJF

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (172.58.102.---)
Date: August 20, 2021 09:13AM

I will build a custom rod for someone with no money required until finished and they are wanting it. If they don't like it after a couple of cast there is no charge. No one has not purchased the rod after they ordered it. Those CTS blanks are expensive and are very nice. I just build rods and don't outfit them with reels and line. I do however, build to the specific reel the client will be using.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: August 20, 2021 12:26PM

So who were you building the Rodgeeks rod for? It would seem to be the first choice to approach for buying the CTS.

If you were building the Rodgeeks for Robert Flowers then I guess he will have to settle for some cost cutting measures to meet his $700 budget:)

I wouldn't think you would have a hard time selling the raw blank.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 20, 2021 08:11PM

The RodGeeks rod is for my son's dental practice, as a give-away to attract customers, much like banks give away shotguns. He is good for the money. There is no one on this planet with more integrity,and honesty in his dealings. The completed rod is a Carbon 4 9' 8 weight. It is very nice. I was surprised at how much oscillation there is in the tip, though it's far better than a big box store rod. The CTS Affinity X is dead solid. It's a quality blank, the best I will have built on, except maybe my CTS 3 weight, and my Winston 7 weight B3X I'm looking forward to that build.

RJF

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 23, 2021 12:12PM

Robert, for $100 ican build two complete high end bow and arrow glass rods..lol..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster