I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Balance point
Posted by: roger gleason (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 19, 2021 05:44PM

Do you try to set a balance point? I’m not sure exactly where it should be but were the index finger grips the rod would seem like a good spot

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Balance point
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 19, 2021 06:30PM

On rods that I use for bottom contact baits, where I am fishing the rod, tip up, and trying to feel a bite (jigs, tubes, Texas rigged soft plastics, etc.) I set a degree of balance. Meaning I don't actually care where the rod and reel actually balance, I just care that it feels tip light. If it's not a rod I use for bottom contact baits, but instead use for cast and retrieve techniques, then I don't worry about where the rod balances or if it feels tip heavy or not.

As far as where a balance point should be, you're the one using the rod and reel, so you should be the one that determines whether it feels right in your hand, or not.

It's kind of like asking someone if you think a woman is pretty or not. If you think she's pretty, what does it matter what others think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2021 06:30PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 19, 2021 07:08PM

Do a search on this forum's archives for rod balance. You can read for hours....

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 19, 2021 07:24PM

Balance means nothing unless you have the reel on the rod. The balance of a rod by itself means nothing.

I just build as light as I can. And let ergonomics determine the design of the rod.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 19, 2021 08:24PM

Roger,
I agree with both David and Michael; it all boils-down what YOU prefer for YOUR particular situation. I especially like David’s analogy of how pretty a woman is = point-on!
Personally, as with Michael, I concentrate on building as light as possible and let the “balance” fall where it may. If it happens to be 2-4 fingers ahead of the (spinning) reel, I am happier than a pig in slop. If not, it’s no big deal, I adjust, and never think about it while fishing. Admittedly, I do not fish for bass with a casting rod where there are sooooo many different baits and techniques. Aha, the joy and simplicity of wild trout fishing in the Eastern Sierra.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: roger gleason (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 20, 2021 12:09AM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On rods that I use for bottom contact baits, where
> I am fishing the rod, tip up, and trying to feel a
> bite (jigs, tubes, Texas rigged soft plastics,
> etc.) I set a degree of balance. Meaning I don't
> actually care where the rod and reel actually
> balance, I just care that it feels tip light. If
> it's not a rod I use for bottom contact baits, but
> instead use for cast and retrieve techniques, then
> I don't worry about where the rod balances or if
> it feels tip heavy or not.
>
> As far as where a balance point should be, you're
> the one using the rod and reel, so you should be
> the one that determines whether it feels right in
> your hand, or not.
>
> It's kind of like asking someone if you think a
> woman is pretty or not. If you think she's pretty,
> what does it matter what others think?
Thanks get the message, but not the analogy. Never had to ask that question :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2021 12:10AM by roger gleason.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 20, 2021 07:45PM

Now I'm lost.

Date: August 20, 2021 08:09PM

Lynn,
You must have a beautiful woman! Oh, and the balance of your rods are perfect for you as well. I am in the same boat, so-to-speak.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 22, 2021 06:43PM

If a rod is butt-heavy you could restore its balance by adding weight to the tip.

Date: August 23, 2021 12:31AM

Abraham Lincoln was quoted as saying something to the effect, “ better to remain silent and make others wonder rather than speaking and removing all doubt”. Phil, shhhhh! lol

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 23, 2021 07:26PM

Mark, she's a dandy! Been married to her since 1977, but I didn't marry the first one I fell over. Phil, she is by no means butt heavy!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: August 24, 2021 07:01PM

Or move the handle up toward the tip of the blank, or the reel seat toward the butt of the blank, or BOTH, to achieve that elusive rod balance.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 02, 2021 06:28PM

Phil, tip-light rods are very rare. And short. The issue is almost always whether to add weight to the butt to balance a tip-heavy rod. How does one accomplish both moving the "handle," ( I think that means where one grips the rod) and moving the reel seat toward the butt?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster